• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pulsar Thermion XP 50 review

I only have the APS2 batteries and I get around 3 hours on them when in full on use and a little bit more when putting the scope on standby.
The APS3 battery should get a lot better lifespan, but nowhere near the battery life of the Trail batteries.

Wilson AR meet Wilson Whisper suppressor
F83EAEE8-9F75-4462-BE99-E46DD596D3FC.jpeg

If you can afford the Reap, get the Reap.

Pulsar's claim to fame is ease of use and phenomenal CS. Trijicon has great CS as well from my buddy's experience, but their image is just plain better.

Here's a short scope comparison video and the trail 640 image isn't the same image as a thermion 640 with image boost.
The pulsar has PIP and is recoil rated to 375 H&H, multiple reticals and color pallet choices,30mm scope tube for ease of mounting, multiple rifle profiles and the kitchen sink.
You don't need to spend extra $$ to buy (and carry)a DVR kit and battery pack to record with the Pulsar.
Add that $$$ and the negligible (to me ) better image of the reap and it isn't worth the thousand's more in my opinion.
I do agree that the Pulsar APS battery life isn't the best, but you could buy 10 batteries and a lot of ammo and accessories, or an axion spottter that uses the same batteries as the thermion with the price difference.
I don't regret buying a thermion.

Reactions: diggler1833
But is it 2-3 grand better?

Not for or what I do personally. I run a $3,200 Trail XQ38, and it kills hogs on my ranch just fine.

Once you step into 640 territory, you are leaving the "I just need a serviceable unit" area and are now primarily paying for image quality.

I recently made a post where I took the position that you don't need to spend $8K on a thermal to kill. I still believe that. However I also believe that you should spend as much as your budget allows. If you only have $5K, a Thermion XP50 is a great choice rather than go into debt or have to sell off stuff.

Not for or what I do personally. I run a $3,200 Trail XQ38, and it kills hogs on my ranch just fine.

Once you step into 640 territory, you are leaving the "I just need a serviceable unit" area and are now primarily paying for image quality.

I recently made a post where I took the position that you don't need to spend $8K on a thermal to kill. I still believe that. However I also believe that you should spend as much as your budget allows. If you only have $5K, a Thermion XP50 is a great choice rather than go into debt or have to sell off stuff.
My issue is that I don’t have a hard budget per say. Selling a house and trying to decide how to divvy the funds. That being said i don’t feel like I have unlimited funds either. If the price difference is “worth the squeeze” then it makes sense as I plan a one and done purchase type deal but if the thermion won’t be leaving me wishing for more then I’m just as fine going that route as well. My biggest issue is I’m a very hands on type guy and like to look through, research, fondle said items very well before dropping coin and there is t anyone remotely close to me that has anything like this.

My issue is that I don’t have a hard budget per say. Selling a house and trying to decide how to divvy the funds. That being said i don’t feel like I have unlimited funds either. If the price difference is “worth the squeeze” then it makes sense as I plan a one and done purchase type deal but if the thermion won’t be leaving me wishing for more then I’m just as fine going that route as well. My biggest issue is I’m a very hands on type guy and like to look through, research, fondle said items very well before dropping coin and there is t anyone remotely close to me that has anything like this.
You can also go with the TNVC payment plan.
That's how I did it, as I didn't want to shell out the whole amount at once, even though I had the funds.
I made a Down payment with the funds I would've spent on the cheaper model and that made my monthly payments manageable.
640 resolution is awesome, so awesome that my fellow night hunters have sold, or are in the process of selling their 300 res scopes to buy 640 scopes.
It's like high def TV, compared to std TV.
There are plenty of videos of each scope in use and the image you see is lower res than the image you view when looking through the scope.
The Reap or Thermion Image will blow you away and is worth the extra $$.
SJC

First off I am in no way sponsored by anybody. I purchased this unit with my own money. I plan on making this a running review of the unit. Here is a video I shot this weekend. Clear night with temps in mid 30’s. This hog was about 70 yards.

Watching the video makes me crave for one lol. I guess I have to save up again, it is the time of the year again.

You can also go with the TNVC payment plan.
That's how I did it, as I didn't want to shell out the whole amount at once, even though I had the funds.
I made a Down payment with the funds I would've spent on the cheaper model and that made my monthly payments manageable.
640 resolution is awesome, so awesome that my fellow night hunters have sold, or are in the process of selling their 300 res scopes to buy 640 scopes.
It's like high def TV, compared to std TV.
There are plenty of videos of each scope in use and the image you see is lower res than the image you view when looking through the scope.
The Reap or Thermion Image will blow you away and is worth the extra $$.
SJC
I hear ya. Already decided on the 640 res lol the hard part is which between the thermion or reap. Have also considered the patrol to head mount as well. It’s advertised that it has a clip on mode as well but everyone I’ve talked to says it can’t be used as one and as much as I like watching people shoot hogs there is exactly fuck all as far as useful videos out there showing features as such but I spose a ton of that is due to ITAR regs as such. Just makes it hard to make a truly informed decision

The older patrol units had "clip-on" mode, but any recent unit or updated unit will not have this function from what I understand.
This is what I have heard/been told but I haven’t seen a mk2 or mk3 version of the patrol like they have for the reap to fix the issue of battery alignment. Not sure how to designate the old vs new patrols either I guess

This is what I have heard/been told but I haven’t seen a mk2 or mk3 version of the patrol like they have for the reap to fix the issue of battery alignment. Not sure how to designate the old vs new patrols either I guess
I can't tell a difference in looking at them... I THINK the only difference you will see Is the programming, but I'm completely speculating here. I know I've been told if I get an older unit and send it in for service work that the newer programming will still turn the function off in the unit. So one would ASSUME that's all programming related

I think the patrol shines in helmet mounted mode anyway so I wouldn't care if they updated the battery orientation.

I should have a v2 reap in about a week but I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer to have another m300 instead honestly

There in is my exact issue. I would absolutly love to run a patrol/
I can't tell a difference in looking at them... I THINK the only difference you will see Is the programming, but I'm completely speculating here. I know I've been told if I get an older unit and send it in for service work that the newer programming will still turn the function off in the unit. So one would ASSUME that's all programming related

I think the patrol shines in helmet mounted mode anyway so I wouldn't care if they updated the battery orientation.

I should have a v2 reap in about a week but I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer to have another m300 instead honestly

there in lies my exact problem. I would love to run a patrol/pvs14 set up for nav and scanning and such especially since most of what I walk through is cedars but want to be able to touch something farther out if need be you know?

@Lunabear

If you run a Patrol and 14 on helmet that lets you scan (on a VERY efficient level) and shoot with laser / illuminator for closer encounters

Then when you need to "reach out" you can have something like the thermion on the rifle to use as a higher magnification option

I don't think it's one vs the other but just a matter of which one do you want to purchase first....

Looking backwards I'd rather have the helmet set up first (especially if you normally walk in woods) and maybe put a high power spot light on a day scope to last be until I could get a second thermal to mount to rifle with higher magnification

The reality I think lies in the fact that you will either try night hunting and love it at which point half your gun collection disappears and turns into NV gear.... Or you'll get the first taste of it and then realize you don't do it enough to have that much money tied up in it and the rest of us sick people will be trying to buy / trade you for it

... I know I've been told if I get an older unit and send it in for service work that the newer programming will still turn the function off in the unit ...
Well I just sent my older patrol in a few months ago (this year) and got it back ... and "clipon mode" was still there ... so n=1 ... it didn't get turned off.

I don't think you can go wrong with the XP 50 at its current prc
Watching the video makes me crave for one lol. I guess I have to save up again, it is the time of the year again.
I don't think you can go wrong with it!

That would be at 2X right with PIP at 4X? Beautiful crisp imagine but having that X-hair move around like that would drive me crazy. Tighten down that ball-head an 1/8 of a turn.:)

Trying to decide between this and a Reap...

I say spend the extra & get a Reap. For one thing the Pulsar looks long so I looked it up. Almost 16" long! That is crazy. The Reap is 6.28" Reap lighter as well.
Also the Reap has more advanced core - 12 micron sensor vs 17 for Pulsar. Better frame rate as well 60 vs 50. And I prefer standard 123 batteries. The Pulsar's are proprietary, and could be issue in the future.

That would be at 2X right with PIP at 4X? Beautiful crisp imagine but having that X-hair move around like that would drive me crazy. Tighten down that ball-head an 1/8 of a turn.:)
Yeah base mag on 2x with PIP 4x there.

Lol that is not on a true tripod, I'm using a primos trigger stick there, I need to get a tripod

Reactions: Aescobar17
Well I'm back at it again, this time versus a barking fox. I'm still enjoying this thermion! Like and subscribe to my youtube channel!

5F3E1878-1C87-418C-BE65-7F4E93DBA791.jpeg

Caught this 6 pack the other night

Battery life in the Thermion lines suck compared to the Trail models. 2.5 hours into hunting and he was well into the internal battery at 40 degrees Fahrenheit. This happened both times we went out. I have since watched a video from the Ed guy on YouTube where he had the same issues.

Yeah, just buy more batteries or go Trail 2.

Yeah, just buy more batteries or go Trail 2.

Well...I griped and then went Thermion XP50 myself this last summer. Battery life does stink compared to my Trail, but I had multiple other issues. I'm on my second unit now, and it will have to go back too at some point.

I did get two free APS3 batteries with my purchase though...no complaints at all about the vendor, he was GTG in my experience (Travis Fox at Fox Optic).

Thermion still doing work. Two more song dogs down

Im considering one of these for yotes. How far out are you able to id and shoot with the thermion?

PID is going to depend on a lot of things, like if the neighbors have dogs etc...

Seeing something that is coyote size and moves like a coyote? I have no problem at 700 - 800 yards. I picked up a hog the other night at about 1,230 yards, but had to close within 300 or so before I was completely positive it was a hog.

Reactions: Parkerized 1