• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Purchase conundrum

BWYoda

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2009
NC/Baghdad
I'm about to buy my first "precision" rifle and have a couple of options. I can either go for a surgeon scalpel, which configured the way I want will be in the region of $4800 or go for an FN A3GSPR for $2,619.00. I'm wondering whether it's worth the money at this point to get the surgeon especially as I'll have to hold off on the glass for a few months until I can afford the PMII (which would go on either rifle anyway). Hence I won't be shooting for a while (then again I'm in Iraq right now!) Everything I've read and discussions I've had indicate that it's a better economy to go with the best you can afford, but I wanted to get some input on this. Would the SPR make a good rifle initially and if I were to sell after a year or so to upgrade - what's the resale value on these like?
Here are the specs on the scalpel - any input on this?

1. Base rifle 3975
Includes:
1 piece coated and spiral fluted bolt
Krieger #14 20-inch barrel
Match chamber (include 20 MOA scope base in armor black)
Recessed target crown
Accuracy International 1.5 stock

2. Thread for suppressor 115
3. Thread Protector 75*
4. KMW bolt knob 15
5. Harris Bi-pod 125
6. AI 2.0 Stock 283
7. Surefire muzzle brake 220

TOTAL $4808 (+ $80 S&H)

Colors:
Action + Barrel – Armor Black
Stock – OD Green

Thanks guys!

Re: Purchase conundrum

Not a real comparison here.........
You couldn't run fast enough to sell me a FNA3G.............it's a dice roll whether you get great or shit.
So, you know what I would go with.

Since you are deployed at the moment and racking up that wonderful tax-free money do yourself a big favor and get the Surgeon Scalpel. You won't be disappointed and you will have loads of pride in the purchase. Also, while you are gone you can order it and don't have the agony of waiting when you are at home. It is just deployment wait time and you also have time to research what scope to get...yea - more big money.

I had an SPR for some time, and I enjoyed the rifle. It fit me well, but it wasn't incredibly accurate. I'd go Surgeon...you want one anyway, and sooner or later you'll get one. Once you get it, you will not want to sell it.

Tax free I wish! Point taken on the Surgeon though - I'd probably just wind up upgrading. I guess it would be a false economy to get the SPR

Sorry, thought you were the military type - bad assumption on my part. I was in Afghanistan last year as a civilian and got taxed hard but it was still worth it on many levels. But, I did come back and buy some nice guns I wanted...I would defiantly go for the best when the money is available.

If you like the FN, buy the best part---the action, send it to a smith--pick out all the goodies you want to make it perfect for you, and by the time you get home, the rifle will be ready---and for less then either option listed above.

Or buy the Surgeon.

Dont settle on good. Too often I have and I get dissapointed in the end get the Surgeon and be happy. After all you need one right?