• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Purchased a problem

Factorman

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 12, 2022
Sebastopol California
I recently purchased a Savage 110 Elite Precision, and when I unboxed it I noticed the muzzle brake was not horizontal. I thought that perhaps it was simply loose and I would be snugging it down, in its proper horizontal (ports wise) position. Turns out that it was hand tight already. The ports are situated between 1 and 2 o’clock with the opposing side, therefore, between 7 and 8 o’clock. Clearly this isn’t correct. I’ve written Savage and haven’t heard back. Has anyone out there experienced anything like this? Is this a usual issue requiring a spacer or specialized washer or something like that? I’m knew to precision rifle and would appreciate thoughts and recommendations.

You just loosen the lock collar and reposition the brake and tighten it back up I believe.
If its only hand tight then you dont even need a wrench to loosen it.

Reactions: Factorman
Get a "Shim" kit from any of the routine sources ... and watch the "How to time you muzzle brake" videos on YouTube ... easy solution.

If it's self-timing ... shims if not.
Problem is that the muzzle brake and lock collar will not come apart without serious tools, and I don’t want to mar the surface if I can absolutely help it. The muzzle brake itself seems like 1 pice though. It looks like 2 pieces machine pressed together. I may be wrong. Again, being a newbie here I just don’t want to make assumptions and make a costly mistake. Thanks for your input!

You bought a Savage,

Always take them apart and put them back together correctly before you head out to the range unless you can confirm it was a Tuesday Mid Morning Rifle, maybe a Wednesday one, maybe.

Buying a Savage is mostly buying a problem, they are our number one rifle to wrench on in classes

You bought a Savage,

Always take them apart and put them back together correctly before you head out to the range unless you can confirm it was a Tuesday Mid Morning Rifle, maybe a Wednesday one, maybe.

Buying a Savage is mostly buying a problem, they are our number one rifle to wrench on in classes
I do have 2 inquiries into the company but haven’t heard back yet. Thanks!

I kind of learned the hard way that a barrel vise and an armorers wrench ... are pretty much mandatory tools to have. Getting the muzzle brake off to clean it or shim it is easy with those tools. I recommend THIS for a barrel vise, and you can buy an armorers wrench all over the place. Once in a nice tight barrel vise, wrenching on the muzzle brake is easy-peazy.

Well...
My son's .338 has a crush washer...
Post a pic of your muzzle. You said it was "hand tight", which sounds to me like the brake was never timed at the factory with the crush washer.
If it is a crush washer, you just need to crank the brake over to 3:00/9:00 as should have happened at the factory.

Well...
My son's .338 has a crush washer...
Post a pic of your muzzle. You said it was "hand tight", which sounds to me like the brake was never timed at the factory with the crush washer.
If it is a crush washer, you just need to crank the brake over to 3:00/9:00 as should have happened at the factory.
True dat ... but the reason I prefer shims over a crush-washer is that it makes cleaning the muzzle brake much easier without having to replace the washer if it doesn't return to perfect timing. To each his own ... I like to pull the muzzle brake when it's dirty and dump it in a glass of CLR. That said, I use ASR brakes that are mostly shot inside of suppressors, so there's that fact that makes them carbon-up much faster.

I recently purchased a Savage 110 Elite Precision, and when I unboxed it I noticed the muzzle brake was not horizontal. I thought that perhaps it was simply loose and I would be snugging it down, in its proper horizontal (ports wise) position. Turns out that it was hand tight already. The ports are situated between 1 and 2 o’clock with the opposing side, therefore, between 7 and 8 o’clock. Clearly this isn’t correct. I’ve written Savage and haven’t heard back. Has anyone out there experienced anything like this? Is this a usual issue requiring a spacer or specialized washer or something like that? I’m knew to precision rifle and would appreciate thoughts and recommendations.
Why?
With that money, you would get many so much better rifles.
For the brake, some rifles come with brake, that is on the package, you can mount it, if you want.
I like it more that way, unlike it would be bonded to the barrel with some super loctite, and you need a torch to remove it.