• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Push VS Controlled Feed

OutRider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2009
Rockland, ME / New Haven, CT
...it seems that a lot of rifles get along just fine w/o controlled feed, although one would think that controlled feed would be desirable in a sniper rifle...

...what is it about a controlled feed rifle that causes so many to favor a push feed system...???...

Re: Push VS Controlled Feed

Push feed seems to be a bit more accurate.

I think the real answer is it is easier and cheaper to make the push feed systems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Push feed seems to be a bit more accurate.

I think the real answer is it is easier and cheaper to make the push feed systems. </div></div>

Accuracy has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Where do you people come up with this Crap.

Sorry, but I have to agree with Russ. I'm not a genius but having fired both types, explain to me how the hell the feeding makes a bolt gun more accurate one way or the other?

Push may be more prevalent than controlled feed = meaning more rifles out there = meaning more reports of accuracy = an incorrectly made correlation between accuracy and feed. I'd bet the real long range shooters here would agree that there are a lot more important things that contribute to accuracy in a weapon than the push vs. controlled feed.

Mauser started the controlled rounds feed claw extractor.
Winchester and FN use them, BUT they are NOT the same. You CAN single feed an FN or Winy. The controlled round feed weapons of today have no disadvantage to push feed.

Push feed type extractors are easier/cheaper to produce. And many American rifleman dont like the european looking claw extractor.

Oh and if you want to argue accuracy, controlled round is more accurate because they generally dont have an ejector pushing on the case when chambered. The ejector is normally a fixed Mauser style.... NOT that it makes a lick of difference.

I don't believe I made any definitive statements. I said "seems", quite possibly due to the particular rifles in which they are chambered. As I said, cost was the most likely contributing factor. If you go on to the benchrest forumns or to bench rest matches, you will probably see that push feed outnumber controlled feed.

As far as accuracy I dont' know, but push feed is my preference. With an internal magazine, ie. Rem700 ADL, rounds go out the same ways as they go in, through the action. In a push feed rifle all I have to do is push the bolt forward enough to pop the round out of the magazine. I don't have to chamber the round as you would have to in a control feed. With a hinged floor plate this isn't a concern as you just drop the rounds out the bottom. For me its just a preference thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides McMillian, who makes custom CRF actions?</div></div>

Granite Mtn. but you'll need deep pockets.

http://www.granitemountainarms.com/about.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.... In a push feed rifle all I have to do is push the bolt forward enough to pop the round out of the magazine. I don't have to chamber the round as you would have to in a control feed.... </div></div>

Ya got that backwards, Pardner.... In a push-feed you must fully chamber the cartridge so that the extractor snaps over the rim. The cartridge pops out of the magazine behind the extractor on a CRF....

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides McMillian, who makes custom CRF actions?</div></div>

Granite Mtn. but <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">you'll need deep pockets</span></span>.

http://www.granitemountainarms.com/about.html </div></div>

That is bordering on an understatement!