• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors pushing a Suppressor over the limit

sid

Lefty
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Tn
i have a 6xc boltaction with a 8" barrel, my plan was to use my Gemtech tracker with it, but... i chickened out and made the first shots with a YHM Resonator which i feel is build like a brickhouse and most likely to survive anything i throw at it.

so yes it did great, i consider it still hearing safe but.... the suppressor almost weights as much as the whole damn rifle, so im looking at the Gemtech again.

the gemtech tracker has following barrel restriction :

Minimum Barrel length:
  • 24" or longer 300WM
  • 16" or longer .308 WIN
  • 16" or longer 6.5 Creedmoor
  • 16" or longer .223
  • 7.5" or longer 300 BLK

the baffles are aluminum, and the tube also.
i know if i ask Gemtech they will ask if all my screws are loose, so i dont want to bother them.

my question is, if i will experience a failure, how would that failure look like?
i am not worried about warranty, as obviously im not using the suppressor the way its intended, i am worried if the tube survives and so i can get it re-cored with some titanium baffles

FYI you probably won’t get squat for an answer from gemtech except what you already typed out. Since their buy out sounds like a lot went downhill. I asked a while ago about a few calibers not listed and they had nothing.

I also have a tracker I got at during the gander close out deal.

Reactions: sid
I'm more interested in the 8" barrel.

Did you intend to flashbang yourself repeatedly or was that an unwanted side effect?

Why not use a 6br instead of an xc and save that powder you're throwing out of the barrel?

I think inconel is your only long term choice and I'd be looking for some material and a form 1.

i choose 6XC because thats what i use in my main rifle and i didnt want a new caliber to reload

i havent shoot it without suppressor and am not planning to, but the suppressor contains the fireball completely and gets really hot after just 1 shot ( which is why i am worried that the Aluminum Gemtech might struggle

Here is the 8" barrel
IMG_20200818_174357515_MP.jpg

That's one unique idea there. I can see that being handy for quick shots on coyotes from a truck or other similar set ups. Pretty cool!

I'm betting you will see some serious baffle erosion, but that's probably a non-issue if it's a low volume hunting rifle.

Running an 11" 308 bolt gun with a SAS Resistor (titanium). I used the SAS because it's my least favorite can, and I could care less what happens to it. It is in the process of getting replaced with a TBAC Dominus once it clears (this time next year?).

What kind of velocities do you get?
i dont know yet, i am assuming around 2200 ( i get 2600 in a 16" barrel)
ill be sighting it in and measuring FPS on the weekend

I'm betting you will see some serious baffle erosion, but that's probably a non-issue if it's a low volume hunting rifle.

Running an 11" 308 bolt gun with a SAS Resistor (titanium). I used the SAS because it's my least favorite can, and I could care less what happens to it. It is in the process of getting replaced with a TBAC Dominus once it clears (this time next year?).
thats why i want to use the Gemtech, i like it for a hunting can, but its my least used amd liked can.
and yes, the rifle is only for hunting

Reactions: SkyScrapin