• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Put a sporter in a heavy barrel stock?

LeviSS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
IL
I've been looking all over to get an HS precision stock for my M700 .243Win with the factory sporter barrel. Every time one comes up in the classifieds, it's for the heavy barrel.

Can I put the sporter barrel in a stock made with a heavy barrel channel? I assume there will just be extra room.

How bad would it look? Anyone with pics?

Re: Put a sporter in a heavy barrel stock?

it won't look good.

have you looked at Stocky's Stocks?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How bad would it look? Anyone with pics? </div></div>

Depends on what you consider bad.

If it really bothered you, you could always bed the barrel channel.

Here is a picture of my 700 264wm with 24 inch barrel in a HS Precision stock for heavy barrel. Stock was given to me so I used it. I think it looks alright, it shoots good.
264wm023.jpg

I had a factory weight sporter in a Choate light tac stock for about a year until I re-barreled...Just remember, beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder...

I just bought a McMillam A5 off a member here with a barrel channel for a #7 Douglas contour. I put my Rem 5R into it and there is no doubt that it is freefloated. I don"t think it looks bad, but there is no doubt that I will go to a heavier contour when it is time to re-barrel. The room is already there. I'll post a couple of pics in a bit.
DSC00378.jpg

DSC00376.jpg

DSC00377.jpg