• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

'puter dummy ??? I am,....Help

cav has been

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2008
wilds of montana
I freely admit to being computer illiterate, my bride calls me computer belligerent. Regardless can someone explain how to view images here on the hide? Some are just fine,others are just a blue rectangle with a question mark in the middle of it. Any help, especially if it's couched in small words would be appreciated. S.

thats an easy fix.
move your wallet to your other pocket, stand on one leg, and...
Wallet? Wallet? What is this wallet of which you speak? Besides if I stand on one leg... someone may have to help be back up.'
May have to search out an alternative fix but thanks for the help 1shot!

Knowing the operating system type and version that you're on would be a big start.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Would the super secret code words/encrypted/foreign language, OS X version 10.11.6 mean anything useful?????
Damn it VEER!!!! They never said they were recording my call to the internet help desk!! Can I sue????? Who is an attorney on here?

Last edited:
Reactions: Barneybdb
What browser are you using? Too bad you can’t show us a screen shot but if you could do that you wouldn’t likely be asking for help. It’s possible that the problem isn’t on your end but my guess is it is something to do with a JavaScript on your browser. Are you using Safari, Chrome, Explorer or Firefox? If you are using explorer, stop!

I really hope someone offers a more viable option than 1Shot offered.

I feel your pain. I'd take a stab at it, but I honestly think finding all your missing unmatched socks would be easier. Regardless of what system you're running and regardless of what browser you're running I'm pretty certain this is dependent on the host site. We've all got this problem as far as I know depending on the host site. I'll put some stuff up and I can see it for a few minutes, then poof, it's gone and I nor anyone else in the whole wide world can see it ever more. I'm not certain there's a 100% fix out there. That's all I got. But you should be able to see the bulk of the pics. You'll get a guru to try and help ya out a bit more to your satisfaction. Just be patient. It'll happen. ;)

Nope no exploder, wait thats a Ford, Safari is what I use. Or maybe Safari is what uses me.

Does it happen on all sites or just here? Like 1J04 said, it’s a good possibility that it is the host sites that someone has linked to. Maybe one days Frank can host all the pics and we won’t have that problem. Haha. But, until then there might be some you don’t see, depending on who they used to host the pics, but most of them should be visible. It could be a combination of problems. Like I said, is it just on the Hide or occurring in multiple places?

Try going to Mozilla.org and download Firefox, install it and try it. If it still does it with multiple browsers then it is not likely anything to do with you. Alternatively, you can try following these steps in Safari and see if it helps:

Click the "Safari" menu in Safari and select "Preferences."

Click the "Appearance" icon in the resulting dialog box.

Check the box labeled "Display images when the page opens."

Click the red "X" at the top left corner of the dialog box to confirm the change and return to browsing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1J04
You're on an old version of your Mac OS. I strongly suggest you update your entire OS to macOS High Sierra. https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/

Absolutely run a Time Machine backup prior to updating.

That alone gives better security and support to your Safari browser, and you'll probably start seeing the pics properly. It may be an Adobe issue (which was unsupported for a good time because of gross security flaws). Otherwise, I have no idea exactly what you're running up against without a link to where you're seeing broken image links.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
OK, for example, page 3, post#106 in the metal working and welding thread in Maggies Drawers, I see the text then a vertical row of square blue boxes , each containing a ? mark.
No romance with a backup via Time machine. Wrong dvd disc or maybe wrong dvd period.
Silent stalkr I don't come up with "Appearance" after I select " preferences"
Thanks for the suggestions so far gentlemen. S.

I see the pics in that post just fine on my Mac on both Chrome and Safari, I'm running the latest version of macOS High Sierra. If the recommendation SilentStalker didn't work for you, you need to update your operating system. Otherwise, those appear to be pics uploaded to the site itself and should pop straight up, you're not having an issue with linking across to another platform or anything, I even see them just fine when not logged into the site either so shouldn't be an issue there. I'm pretty sure there aren't any account settings that would affect you either, I see no options either way for viewing images in my account settings.

TimeMachine is best done from a dedicated external hard drive, I'm a fan of Toshiba or anything NOT Western Digital for those. A decent 500GB drive will more than cover your basic system and are available in the $60 range, running the fastest USB type available for your ports, so most likely USB 3.0 or higher depending on the age of your Mac.

What model Mac are you using? Clicking the Apple symbol in the top left of your screen and then on "About this Mac" will tell you that. The reason I say to run a backup is I had my system lock up when updating from Yosemite to El Capitan (you're running El Capitan now), and I had to use my TimeMachine backup to get my computer back. Saved my ass.

macOS High Sierra is far better than OSx El Capitan in pretty much every way, you'll appreciate the update and staying on top of security will definitely help you avoid headaches. There have been some very serious discoveries in the three years since your OS was released and have been patched since, from an amateur cyber security guy I cannot recommend more that you update.

It tells me it is a MacBook Pro (Retina,13 inch,early2015) I'll try and run the update. Thanks,S.
Kinda puzzles me, as most pics show just fine, but the occasional one just evades me.

I have a feeling the pics will render properly after you run the update. That is a great machine, couple years newer than mine, and you have USB 3.0 for your ports so if you buy an external drive, make sure it has 3.0 for the best speed.

And it's easiest to set your machine to run updates automatically after you run the install of the new OS, you'll hardly ever have to bother yourself with it again unless an open app prevents the auto restart, and also when a new OS is released (one coming next month, FYI). See here for how to set up for auto updates: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25532?locale=en_US

It tells me it is a MacBook Pro (Retina,13 inch,early2015) I'll try and run the update. Thanks,S.
Kinda puzzles me, as most pics show just fine, but the occasional one just evades me.

I'm on 10.12.6 on the same machine, Cav. I haven't felt a great urge yet to go to High Sierra, but even Sierra would be an improvement on what you're running.

I see the pics in that post just fine on my Mac on both Chrome and Safari, I'm running the latest version of macOS High Sierra. If the recommendation SilentStalker didn't work for you, you need to update your operating system. Otherwise, those appear to be pics uploaded to the site itself and should pop straight up, you're not having an issue with linking across to another platform or anything, I even see them just fine when not logged into the site either so shouldn't be an issue there. I'm pretty sure there aren't any account settings that would affect you either, I see no options either way for viewing images in my account settings.

TimeMachine is best done from a dedicated external hard drive, I'm a fan of Toshiba or anything NOT Western Digital for those. A decent 500GB drive will more than cover your basic system and are available in the $60 range, running the fastest USB type available for your ports, so most likely USB 3.0 or higher depending on the age of your Mac.

What model Mac are you using? Clicking the Apple symbol in the top left of your screen and then on "About this Mac" will tell you that. The reason I say to run a backup is I had my system lock up when updating from Yosemite to El Capitan (you're running El Capitan now), and I had to use my TimeMachine backup to get my computer back. Saved my ass.

macOS High Sierra is far better than OSx El Capitan in pretty much every way, you'll appreciate the update and staying on top of security will definitely help you avoid headaches. There have been some very serious discoveries in the three years since your OS was released and have been patched since, from an amateur cyber security guy I cannot recommend more that you update.

Hell, in that case, I'd suggest just going to NewEgg https://www.newegg.com/ and put an OS of his choosing together. It's what I do. Haven't built a system for many yrs and it's definitely time for me to do so. So easy to do. Buy a Tower, Motherboard, Video Card, RAM, maybe a Sound Card, CPU w/maybe a Volcano or some other kick ass fan/heat sink, Power Supply, Hard Drive and then a kick ass monitor. Bam !!! Simple as shit. Saves a ton of money. "AND" you get EXACTLY what you want. (y)

The light just went on. Belay my last. I see we're talking laptops, which I've spent many a crisp dollar bills on. You know, in the strip joints. Anyhow, I know diddly squat about laptops and macs, but understand well why people hate Micorsoft shit, because well, they're a fucking scam.

The light just went on. Belay my last. I see we're talking laptops, which I've spent many a crisp dollar bills on. You know, in the strip joints. Anyhow, I know diddly squat about laptops and macs, but understand well why people hate Micorsoft shit, because well, they're a fucking scam.
Yeah, definitely can't touch a MBP with self built machine and running Linux. I've dabbled in that, but now that I have a MBP and 2017 iMac, I wouldn't think twice about going Apple again versus self built. Certainly not for a self proclaimed 'puter dummy like Cav is either.

Windows is the devil.

Yeah, definitely can't touch a MBP with self built machine and running Linux. I've dabbled in that, but now that I have a MBP and 2017 iMac, I wouldn't think twice about going Apple again versus self built. Certainly not for a self proclaimed 'puter dummy like Cav is either.

Windows is the devil.

Word Brother. Word. (y)

OK, for example, page 3, post#106 in the metal working and welding thread in Maggies Drawers, I see the text then a vertical row of square blue boxes , each containing a ? mark.
No romance with a backup via Time machine. Wrong dvd disc or maybe wrong dvd period.
Silent stalkr I don't come up with "Appearance" after I select " preferences"
Thanks for the suggestions so far gentlemen. S.

Those images are hosted on Imgur. They changed something in their coding and it's a pain in the ass.
It's likely not your computer.

Well........ I lit up the High Sierra download, shut the lid and went off to Kalispell for another blood draw and CBC. Got home about four hours later and hit install. Poked and jabbed a few buttons, waited an hour and now it tells me I'm one of the High Sierra snobs, or at least my MacBook is. Guess what, I still can't see the pictures on #106.
It sure ain't the end of the world though.
I will admit to being somewhat literate and do a lot more reading than looking at pictures, so it really is no yank.
Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!!

Well........ I lit up the High Sierra download, shut the lid and went off to Kalispell for another blood draw and CBC. Got home about four hours later and hit install. Poked and jabbed a few buttons, waited an hour and now it tells me I'm one of the High Sierra snobs, or at least my MacBook is. Guess what, I still can't see the pictures on #106.
It sure ain't the end of the world though.
I will admit to being somewhat literate and do a lot more reading than looking at pictures, so it really is no yank.
Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!!

Like Tucker said, the image hosting site imgur.com is the culprit. Their direct image links don't work properly now.

If imgur the issue, then why can I see them just fine on essentially the same system/browser? I just checked again, see post #106 in that thread just fine, even cleared my history in case the images were saved in my cookies. There's something going on with Cav's settings or an add-on that is causing the issue.

Maybe try adding this ad blocker to your Safari browser: https://www.ublock.org/ That should be the only difference between my Safari and yours, unless you're in some far away land or if your ISP has some sort of filtering going on.

uBlock gets me around many mandatory whitelist sites that AdBlock+ fails at because uBlock didn't sell out like they did. If you're already running AB+, disable it after adding uBlock.

Could also be an issue with your firewall if you have it set overly restrictively, or there's some exceptions that may need to be initiated for i.imgur to allow images to be automatically loaded. I've tried fiddling with settings and have yet to be able to recreate it, but I'll try fiddling around some more later with it.

Aside from the move from 32 to 64 bit, they give pretty damn good updates for the life of the device. It's the batteries that don't last, but that's the nature of lithium ion.