• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

putting a 5.56 upper on 6.8 lower ??

mckelveymx

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2009
Alabama
i have a bushmaster 6.8 spc rifle and im trying to find out if a 5.56 upper will fit my bushy 6.8 lower. is a 6.8 more versitle than ar-10 in 308?

Re: putting a 5.56 upper on 6.8 lower ??

just a thought here but im pretty sure that the upper will fit. the only difference from a 6.8, and a .223 is the upper. and to get more into it think its just the barrel thats different in the upper. the overall cartrige length is very similar so yes your upper will work with your lower

The bolt and barrel are different, everything else is the same and will be interchangable. The main difference between teh AR-15 and AR-10 platform is the size of the magwell...the AR-10 is built around the 7.62 NATO/.308 win so cartridges that are 2.8" in length will work for the most part, and the AR-15 is built around the 5.56mm NATO/.223 rem so cartridges 2.250" and smaller will work with that receiver.

As said above, the lower isn't caliber specific. Neither is the upper receiver, just the Bolt and barrel.
There re only a few things the AR10 and AR15 have in common. They look very similar, and are built on the same modular design, but nothing will interchange except trigger assemblies (except a large pin Colt), the A2 front sight and/or some gas blocks, some stocks/stock extensions, and some factory hand guards. Oh, and the pistol grip and trigger guard.

so, would i need a new bolt when i put a 5.56 upper on my 6.8 lower? could i just buy a 5.56 barrel and a 5.56 bolt and use my current upper?

Yes you will need a new bolt. Not the whole carrier, just the bolt. And yes you could use your current upper and just put on a new barrel and new bolt. Depending on the gas tube length, that may need to be replaced as well.

does anyone know the answer to this? gas tube length on a bushmaster 6.8 w/ 16" barrel...will it have to be changed to mount a 5.56 16" barrel and bolt?

It is either the midlength or carbine. If this is the one you have. http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3F-16M468.asp
Then it is carbine length.

You would be better off just buying an entire new upper in .223. If would suck to have to unscrew the barrel from the upper among other things everytime you wanted to change calibers.