• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Putting cabinets over the loading bench- looking for tips and suggestions

BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama
    So, I badly need more room on and around my bench. I've been trying to get some used cabinets from a demo but that hasn't happened and I've got to do something to store some stuff. (I'm sure right after is do I will have a few guys call and tell me they have some uppers I can have).

Anywho, since I'm doing it, I thought I might seek the council of TheHide, to see if there's anything concerning the size of cabinets or storage inside, or anything else that might be helpful, before I go buy them and put them up.

TIA- you guys always come through.

So, I badly need more room on and around my bench. I've been trying to get some used cabinets from a demo but that hasn't happened and I've got to do something to store some stuff. (I'm sure right after is do I will have a few guys call and tell me they have some uppers I can have).

Anywho, since I'm doing it, I thought I might seek the council of TheHide, to see if there's anything concerning the size of cabinets or storage inside, or anything else that might be helpful, before I go buy them and put them up.

TIA- you guys always come through.
    Personally I like open shelves. It forces me to keep it organized and I can see everything.

5AE6AA2E-0264-483D-BBF0-FC013A997C92.jpeg

I built this with some 1x10x8, 1” framing, and pocket screws. Little sanding, some paint, done. I did use a router to add the 1/4 back panel inlay, but. It works for throwing shit up there, as you can see.

I have little ones, too. Gut a cheap gun cabinet, add some shelves (pine) and keep it locked up.

View attachment 7873743
    I built this with some 1x10x8, 1” framing, and pocket screws. Little sanding, some paint, done. I did use a router to add the 1/4 back panel inlay, but. It works for throwing shit up there, as you can see.

I have little ones, too. Gut a cheap gun cabinet, add some shelves (pine) and keep it locked up.
    I could build anything, I have a full woodworking shop but I don't really want to honestly. I'd rather just buy a few cabinets. I have 2 cheap gun safes but they are both full of ammo already and I don't want to have to go get powder and primers out every time from the other room, which is the only reasonable spot yet another one could go. Good thinking though and I may reconsider that and use one for powder or at least for storing the bulk powder, but that means ammo has to go elsewhere. On top of my big safe is an option there as ammo is less dangerous than powder if the guns are locked up, and they are.

I am currently keeping primers in my big "Real gun safe" but a cabinet with a lock will be sufficient for keeping the boys out for a few more years anyway. The shelf thing is probably going to happen though. Seems to be favored by you guys and I see why. I may end up putting a metal file cabinet beside my bench for powder storage in the future though, to better lock it up.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
    Oh I get it. Time is money. I also built that and my bench back before all the bullshit pricing started. Now, you need blood and semen just to afford some 2x4’s.

Oh I get it. Time is money. I also built that and my bench back before all the bullshit pricing started. Now, you need blood and semen just to afford some 2x4’s.
    Yeah the material isn't cheap and I'm a builder so, when I come home the last thing I want to do is build anything..... I have my guys do most stuff already, though I can do it and better than most of them. If it were slow I would very likely just build myself something, but this week I worked 5 days of 12 hrs or more, and that's what I was on site or driving to and from sites, not counting paperwork after. (My wife does most of that, I just have to approve it all).

Reactions: Bigtee-02
    I bought some metal cabinets for "the room". I first saw them at Costco and looked them over real well. I figured I could load them up pretty heavy as compared to wood cabinets. Every cabinet locks, not super secure, but it keeps the curious at bay...not a problem for me so I don't ever lock them. Costco only sold a sort of kit with a fixed number of cabinets. I made note of the manufacturer and went looking on the web. Ordered in what I wanted. The back wall is all tall cabinets with shelving. Reloading area has cabinet on either side and uppers over. I have a 1x12 open shelf for the stuff I use more often. I am getting ready to sell this place and am planning to take it all with me. The new "the room" will have slat wall everywhere possible in addition to these cabinets.
    Here is a link to the Costco sold cabinets I used: https://www.costco.com/newage-produ...ge-cabinet-7-piece-set.product.100703985.html

I bought some metal cabinets for "the room". I first saw them at Costco and looked them over real well. I figured I could load them up pretty heavy as compared to wood cabinets. Every cabinet locks, not super secure, but it keeps the curious at bay...not a problem for me so I don't ever lock them. Costco only sold a sort of kit with a fixed number of cabinets. I made note of the manufacturer and went looking on the web. Ordered in what I wanted. The back wall is all tall cabinets with shelving. Reloading area has cabinet on either side and uppers over. I have a 1x12 open shelf for the stuff I use more often. I am getting ready to sell this place and am planning to take it all with me. The new "the room" will have slat wall everywhere possible in addition to these cabinets.
    Here is a link to the Costco sold cabinets I used: https://www.costco.com/newage-produ...ge-cabinet-7-piece-set.product.100703985.html
    That's the ticket right there. Probably will be what I do with slat wall in the new room in the new house. Definitely a good option.

I just bought someone’s old cabinets from a kitchen remodel. Made countertops out of 2x 3/4” plywood that I’m going to epoxy.

Attachments

• E2E519E2-F108-431D-9F4F-0B9A5CB7380D.jpeg
      E2E519E2-F108-431D-9F4F-0B9A5CB7380D.jpeg
      348.9 KB · Views: 81
    I just bought someone’s old cabinets from a kitchen remodel. Made countertops out of 2x 3/4” plywood that I’m going to epoxy.
    I'm going to have a set up like that in it's own dedicated room in the new house with a sure enough gun room and vault door. Can't put anymore into this house though so I have to keep this cheap. I also don't have a lot of time to reload right now so, this us just to get stuff off the floor and unclutter my bench a little bit. That's a nice set up right there!

That's the ticket right there. Probably will be what I do with slat wall in the new room in the new house. Definitely a good option.
    I built "the room" into a corner of my shop. I used the plywood I-joists (here they are generally referred to as TJI's, which is a brand name) on 12" centers. I used T&G on the ceiling. I mounted the uppers all the way to the ceiling. I have to use a little step ladder to reach the very top shelf but I knew that as I installed them. This gave me plenty of room for that open shelf that is about the height of the bottom of a standard upper cabinet install.
    When I installed these cabinets, I used extra screws up into the TJI's and more than the 2 per stud on the back of the cabinets and then, just for added insurance, I installed a 1x2 ledger right up under the cabinets for extra sheer support. They hold up a crap load of Bergers, the shelf of one had a little bend in it so I lightened that load some.
    "The room" is probably a very good place to be in a tornado.
    When I build my new place, the new "the room" will also be a very good place to spend a stormy night. I plan to install a vault door that opens into "the room", sort of a 12" thick reinforced concrete escape room. With the door opening inward, nothing can block that door closed with us inside, or maybe a secondary exit.
    And firing port holes. And booby traps. And shit.

Reactions: Huckmeat
    I built "the room" into a corner of my shop. I used the plywood I-joists (here they are generally referred to as TJI's, which is a brand name) on 12" centers. I used T&G on the ceiling. I mounted the uppers all the way to the ceiling. I have to use a little step ladder to reach the very top shelf but I knew that as I installed them. This gave me plenty of room for that open shelf that is about the height of the bottom of a standard upper cabinet install.
    When I installed these cabinets, I used extra screws up into the TJI's and more than the 2 per stud on the back of the cabinets and then, just for added insurance, I installed a 1x2 ledger right up under the cabinets for extra sheer support. They hold up a crap load of Bergers, the shelf of one had a little bend in it so I lightened that load some.
    When I build my new place, the new "the room" will also be a very good place to spend a stormy night. I plan to install a vault door that opens into "the room", sort of a 12" thick reinforced concrete escape room. With the door opening inward, nothing can block that door closed with us inside, or maybe a secondary exit.
    Yeah, that's the type of gun room I will have ss well. It wl be our safe room as well as my gun room. I have built many of these rooms in houses for others so I have a specific way I like to do them now, with 3" square tube "joist" under the corrugated metal pan and concere w/ #5 rebar 12" o c.

Don't forget the metal grid flooring in front of the entry door.
    It'll need to be hooked up to the 220v AC supply.

You know, to keep intruders out... 😂

If you live in or are near to your state’s capital city, find out where the “State Surplus” building is . The one in Wyoming (Cheyenne) is open to the public.
    All surplus furniture and office furnishings go there when offices are remodeled.
    You can get great discounts on metal upright double-door storage cabinets, file cabinets, chairs, desk, lighting, cubicles…You may be surprised what shows up in your state.

by the way, anyone looking for a rolling workbench might find this one at a local costco for $599 on sale.

+1 on the kitchen remodel repurpose. I took some out of a house my cousin was remodeling.. Habitat restore might be a good place to look too.

If you live in or are near to your state’s capital city, find out where the “State Surplus” building is . The one in Wyoming (Cheyenne) is open to the public.
    All surplus furniture and office furnishings go there when offices are remodeled.
    You can get great discounts on metal upright double-door storage cabinets, file cabinets, chairs, desk, lighting, cubicles…You may be surprised what shows up in your state.
    That's a great idea for a powder/primer storage cabinet. Thanks

+1 on the kitchen remodel repurpose. I took some out of a house my cousin was remodeling.. Habitat restore might be a good place to look too.
    I had been trying to get some from kitchen renovations from buddies who remodel, and I hit my cabinet guys up for extras and all that for a few months but I finally just went and bought a few uppers from Lowes. This is sort of temporary. I will be building a house for myself in the near future (provided biden doesn't destroy the economy beyond repair of course), and still have a whole other garage and bed/bath in my basement area to connect to the current area. One way or another, this set up is going to relocate at some point fairly soon, so I'm more planning for that time really, and just got these few uppers to go over my bench now because I had to have somewhere else to put stuff. The clutter was getting to me.

I am definitely going to have a well planned out gun room with a vault door and good loading area though in the new house, just don't know how long I will have to wait. My ever evolving plan is now to wait until biden crashes things fully, and buy land when I can get it for a much better price. Then build on it when I'm in position to do so again. Getting the land paid for is #1. Hoping to get 40 ish acres and have a good range area off my back porch and loading room/safe room in the basement of this house.

For now, I will have a lot more space to move my office into and then use all of the current basement space for my loading and such. I will take the ideas ITT and use them in both.

Reactions: impactaddict
    Man I do like that Costco setup, looks nice for just a work bench area, do your loading on another bench. Looks like the storage would be outstanding.. Might have to look into that for myself.