• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Putting down the family dog...

vinniedelpino

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Charlotte NC
    We have a 12 year old lab and he's not in particularly good shape. We're not quite there yet, but the writing is on the wall. I brought this up with my wife and she's at peace with putting him down when the time comes. Where our opinions differ is the method in which to do so.

I'd prefer to build a fire, lay out a couple of blankets and cook up some ribeyes for the two of us. I'd let him eat until his heart's content and wait for him to fall asleep under the stars before doing it myself. She thinks I'm an absolute monster for even suggesting this.

I can't bear the idea of dragging him to the vet and having a stranger poke and prod him on a cold steel table under blinding fluorescent lights in his final moments. I don't think I could forgive myself for that. Hell, I get choked up just typing this and I worry I don't have the stones to follow through. It just doesn't seem right to go about it any other way.

Any opinions?

Do the fire, blanket steak thing, but have the vet come to you to do the deed - much better on all concerned that way.
    I`d go with this. There`s no way on God`s green earth I could do that. I`m not ashamed to say it cuts me to pieces when the time comes for this.
    I think it was Mark Twain (?) who said, " I like all dogs more than most people. " Right there on that one!
    I do believe God gave man the dog to show him what pure, unadulterated love looks like. Most of the time, as a species, I don`t think we deserve them.

Snoopy.jpg

We put or 13 year old down on Saturday. The vet wrapped her in a blanket and sat her in my lap. The room was almost dark, just a few mood lights on as we sat on the couch. Vet gave her a large dose of propofol and waited a few moments before injecting what I assume was PP. Ruby went smooth and no wild muscle contractions or breathing.

Look around for a vet that will have the right settings that make it a better overall situation than it really is.

Just put my 15-year-old down. It is a tough thing to go through as we view our pets like family. However, at some point, you have to think about the pain that they are going through and the lack of quality of life.

Where I live, vets that come to you are $$$, so we go to the vet. The vet fed her some chocolate and she loved it. How he knew that was surprising. He has been her vet for her entire life. Then she got a sedative which put her at peace. You could tell it was the first time in a while that her pain was relieved. You could see it in her face. Then they give her the other shot.

No other way to say it but it SUCKS. The only thing you can do is remember the good times and celebrate their lives not lament about their death.

By my hand if it had to be done. That is how I have always dealt with it. Maybe its country, farm raising and living I don't know but my animals will not live their last minutes at a vet. That goes for anything here cows, horses etc. Average folks today are too far removed from the circle of life.

By my hand if it had to be done. That is how I have always dealt with it. Maybe its country, farm raising and living I don't know but my animals will not live their last minutes at a vet. That goes for anything here cows, horses etc. Average folks today are too far removed from the circle of life.
    Been there. It’s damn hard, but it was the only way. Lived and buried on the same property, under a pine tree.

:cry: It's hard no matter what. Our vet had taken care of our dog for years, we put a blanket out we all held her, she looked at me last and went to sleep. 1-2 seconds it was over. I still cry and miss her. Had her cremated and is at the house. Who ever goes first me or the wife will take her with us to our grave. I hate to say this: but it was worse than loosing both of my parents. :cry: :cry:

I'd prefer to build a fire, lay out a couple of blankets and cook up some ribeyes for the two of us. I'd let him eat until his heart's content and wait for him to fall asleep under the stars before doing it myself. She thinks I'm an absolute monster for even suggesting this.
    Personally I would do it myself. It is the truest responsibility of having pets and reminds you that owning a dog is not something to take lightly.

On the other hand it is something you can fuck up pretty easy as the brain cavity is quite smallish and further back than you may think.

So at a minimum don’t load only a single bullet and if you have doubts think of getting a vet to do it. While it might be emotional, remember your basic firearm safety if you decide to do it.

Average folks today are too far removed from the circle of life.
    I grew up in the hills of Arkansas, watched Dad put plenty of pets down when it was time. I prefer the vet for it, not because I can’t do it, I don’t want to do it.

I still dig the holes and bury them out back myself. My kids make me bury it all, so 5 chickens, 3 cats and one dog as of Sunday.

Get the right Vet to do it, you want your last act to be peaceful with your friend. My vet has a room set up like a home for this kind of work, you can say good bye and spend as much time as you want. It has a separate exit so you can leave without going through the lobby. Pay for the service ahead of time so you can see what you are doing.

Having to shoot an animal twice is no fun and that sticks with you.

I thank God that my wife is " tougher " than I am. Every time I make promises, mostly to myself, that I`ll be with them. I just can`t do it. She can be with them, hug and pet them. I guess I get too attached not that she doesn`t love them. And I`m a hunter, although I find at 76 I find that I think differently about taking an animal`s life than I did when I was 26, or 36, or even 56.

Reactions: Ichi
    As others have said. House call with a vet. I put one of Laylas dog beds and her favorite blanket under her favorite tree to lay under when the time came.
    Whatever it cost for the vet to come out it’s worth it.

Reactions: CSAR and oneshot86
    I just put down our much loved family dog two days ago. I say have the vet come to your house. Part of me wished that I had the vet come to our house, the other part is glad they didn't do it at home. Our dog was a beagle, and he didn't like the sedative. In minutes he started howling loudly because I think the sedative gave him the spins. He was my Mom's dog so I'm glad she didn't hear this. Her health isn't good so it would have been a horrible memory for her. I'm struggling with it myself. But we have to remember the other family members involved as well as our beloved pet. None of us want our furry friends to suffer or go through the stress of being put down. But we have to protect the ones that are left behind.

Last edited:
    • Sad
    As a man, your feeling don't come before the ones you've taken an oath before god to protect. What woman would be ok with her dog being shot? There is a reason women don't kill themselves with guns whereas males do. You choosing to do it yourself is selfish. You and your wife are both in pain, why do you as the man get to choose your feelings over your wife's?

A good vet will know how difficult this is and will make it as easy on you as possible. I gave my nearly 18-year-old dog a sedative before taking her in. The vet gave a first injection to calm the dog, the second injection stopped her within a few seconds. It happened so fast. No pain, no blood, no whimpering.

Personally, I would not have wanted to put a bullet through her head. It would have been much more bloody and violent and I'd have to have that image in my head for the rest of my life. I prefer having the image of her laying on a bed surrounded by red roses and having been comforted by those who loved her.

When we put our last lab down, the vet agreed to come out to our Explorer and do it in the back of it. The dog got to go for one last ride, but didn't have to go through the stress of going into the vet, which he hated. I dealt with the business part first, and at the end, he was on his blanket with us holding him. When it was over, we drove home and buried him.
    You might want to ask your vet if they would consider this.

As a man, your feeling don't come before the ones you've taken an oath before god to protect. What woman would be ok with her dog being shot? There is a reason women don't kill themselves with guns whereas males do. You choosing to do it yourself is selfish. You and your wife are both in pain, why do you as the man get to choose your feelings over your wife's?

A good vet will know how difficult this is and will make it as easy on you as possible. I gave my nearly 18-year-old dog a sedative before taking her in. The vet gave a first injection to calm the dog, the second injection stopped her within a few seconds. It happened so fast. No pain, no blood, no whimpering.

Personally, I would not have wanted to put a bullet through her head. It would have been much more bloody and violent and I'd have to have that image in my head for the rest of my life. I prefer having the image of her laying on a bed surrounded by red roses and having been comforted by those who loved her.
    I’m definitely going to go the vet at home route. Embarrassingly enough, I didn’t even think of the option when I made this post. Big thanks to snipers hide for what should have been obvious.

For what it’s worth, if it came down to doing it myself in a way he’d be more comfortable with vs bringing him to the vet to appease my wife, I’d do it myself and the wife would just have to get over it. If that makes me an asshole, bad husband, etc I’m at peace with that.

A good dog is the closest most men will come to experiencing unconditional love. We all like to think that if we were crippled, broke and hit rock bottom our spouses would be there to pick up the pieces. Reality often plays out differently.

I’m 100% confident my pup would park his head on my crippled, broke lap right up to the bitter end. That’s as real as love gets and it goes both ways.

We have a 12 year old lab and he's not in particularly good shape. We're not quite there yet, but the writing is on the wall. I brought this up with my wife and she's at peace with putting him down when the time comes. Where our opinions differ is the method in which to do so.

I can't bear the idea of dragging him to the vet and having a stranger poke and prod him on a cold steel table under blinding fluorescent lights in his final moments. I don't think I could forgive myself for that. Hell, I get choked up just typing this and I worry I don't have the stones to follow through. It just doesn't seem right to go about it any other way.

Any opinions?
    There are services that will come to your home and euthanize them at home

I’m definitely going to go the vet at home route. Embarrassingly enough, I didn’t even think of the option when I made this post. Big thanks to snipers hide for what should have been obvious.

For what it’s worth, if it came down to doing it myself in a way he’d be more comfortable with vs bringing him to the vet to appease my wife, I’d do it myself and the wife would just have to get over it. If that makes me an asshole, bad husband, etc I’m at peace with that.

A good dog is the closest most men will come to experiencing unconditional love. We all like to think that if we were crippled, broke and hit rock bottom our spouses would be there to pick up the pieces. Reality often plays out differently.

I’m 100% confident my pup would park his head on my crippled, broke lap right up to the bitter end. That’s as real as love gets and it goes both ways.
    Good choice regarding your pet, sorry for your loss

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak And pain should keep me from my sleep, Then will you do what must be done, For this — the last battle — can’t be won. You will be sad I understand,
    But don’t let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test. We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn’t want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go. Take me to where to my needs they’ll tend, Only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved. Don’t grieve that it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We’ve been so close — we two — these years, Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

Lord, I hope there`s something like a Rainbow Bridge! If dogs and little children don`t qualify for heaven....I`m not sure it`s any place I`d want to be anyway!

If you love dogs and haven`t yet, get a copy of the late, great Gene Hill`s book " Tears and Laughter ". If you can get through it with a dry eye, you`re a tougher person than I`ll ever be. The man absolutely ruined me on dog stories. To this day I can`t read one. Absolutely wonderful writer!

Reactions: FWoo45 and xsn10s
    Should be able to get a vet to do a house call. That's what most do around here (rural MN). Have your steaks and enjoy the night.

Ugh, its the worst. If the vet wont come to you and the dog likes the truck have the vet come out to the truck. Ruby LOVED riding in the truck so we took her for the last ride in the truck, sat with her in the back seat and he came out and shot her up with sedative then the blue juice. Brought her back home, dug the hole and laid her to rest. I offered to do it but knew the old lady wouldn't let me (her dog originally) so I was off the hook on a shitty deal. I will say the blue juice is quick and clean and if you blow it with placement, it may not be.

• Sad
    Man, so sorry to hear about this. Sounds like you settled on a great plan to respect your buddy in the best way. I'm going to remember this for the day I have to do the same.

Much respect to everyone else sharing their stories here too. I believe we get to be with them again.

Not much to add that hasn't already been said. I have gone out to houses and to cars/trucks or in the clinic, whatever is the least stressful for the pet and owner. House calls tend to be more relaxed, but it is never easy, especially if I have seen them their whole life since they were puppies or kittens.

A lot of wisdom and memories in this thread.

My wife and I will be saying goodbye to our 18 year old cat tomorrow. It's never easy letting such loving souls go. But I believe that we will all see our friends again.

I've had to do it so many times it's not....well, lets leave that word out of the convo, k ?

Give the dog beer, dogs love them some beer, give them as much as they want.
    If it makes YOU feel better give the dog a steak, really won't matter to the dog.

Use a bigger round than you think you'll need for the occasion.
    Trust me on that, do not question it, you don't want to know why.

Just man the fuck up and do it.
    Does that sound harsh to you ?
    Good, you're not dead inside after all.
    It's a harsh world, deal with it in kind.
    Are you really such a puss that you have to have someone do your mans work for you ?

As difficult as it is, the pain that we deal with in the loss is just our years of memories and investments manifesting physically.

Our goal as parents is so prepare our children(and ourselves) for the world(death)... no different than an animal.

Part of the responsibility of having them, is losing them...giving them up.
    It reminds us of our finite lives and how powerless we are in the shadow of God.

Had to put many animals down on the farm, ...goats, cows, chickens, cats, dogs, etc....there was never money for a vet.
    Its never easy, but what worthwhile endeavor is?
    N2ishun is right. Larger than needed, more than one round at the ready.

Its the price we pay for our/their years of dedication and enjoyment.
    Those last moments pale in comparison to the lifetime that they showed us.

If you get a new animal, make that peace before you bring them home and remember it everyday.

Animals are better than people in many ways
    Think about it this way....if your loving pet suddenly had a broken moment and attacked your kids or grandkids...what would you do?...its the same response just with different emotions and circumstances.
    Still a duty.

Sorry for your loss.

Shred

Reactions: jakelly

Any opinions?
    I haven't read too many of the replies, but I do find your approach rather odd and can see why the Mrs. would be upset with you. BTW, you're going to have to live with her and if you do this it will forever be a wedge in the marriage.

We had almost the same situation here with our lab., just a little over 2 years ago. One morning he was in such pain starting in the wee hours and we just couldn't stand the site of him suffering so. I was also contemplating having to put him out of the misery.........I knew the wife would never forget it, though she understood. That act is forever and it will take a toll.

What I find strange with your approach, is that they usually don't want to eat if they are in that much pain and suffering. Maybe your situation is different.

We are fortunate that our vet (she trusts us enough to give us her cell #) was willing to come out with a tech and put Spooky down. I strongly recommend that you take this approach and allow the healing process for both you and the wife.

This is never a great experience, but take your wife's feelings into account and not just your own.

Remington 14 (fat little black one), we just found a pretty big lump on his left leg. He can't do this to me now.

I have a feeling his baby sister will take it the hardest.

Going to call the vet today. But a little afraid of taking him in with all the stuff going around now.

1710414960554.png

Do the fire, blanket steak thing, but have the vet come to you to do the deed - much better on all concerned that way.
    our dogs have always loved car rides. when it was time we drive to the vet and the vet came out to our car and did it, as noted, sedative first. i'm crying now and it's been some three years since the last time...

Depends on the situation and dog. Our first dog loved rides and didn’t mind going to the vet office. Taking her there was hard, but not because of her reaction.

Second dog wasn’t crazy about car rides and hated going to the vet. Best thing we ever did was have the vet come to our house. He didn’t get upset about being put into the car or going into the vet. Everyone and everything was laid back and relaxed. I would do that again any day.

Any opinions?
    I agree with your wife.

A great meal, if he'll eat, is a great idea.

We had to put our lab down last November. She had gotten terribly sick, refused to eat, and we knew it was time. We had gotten filet's that I was gonna grill up and feed her, but she wouldn't even lick whipped cream, which was a confirmation she was terribly ill. She was either 12 or 13, we aren't sure exactly of her age. A vet came to the house and she passed comfortably in the living room surrounded by all of us. It was sad, but it was humane, and respectful. I am truly thankful for the service that Vets provide by coming to the home to provide that service.

We had her cremated so we can take her with us if we move.

Your buddy isn't 'ol yeller. He deserves better than that, don't be a monster.

Branden

• Sad
    Reactions: kthomas and Ichi
    There are a great number of vets out there that will do a house call for the injection. Your dog can be with you all, on his favorite blanket with a belly full of steak, vet will set him up with an IV in a foreleg and when you are done saying goodbyes and ready, vet will IV push and your pup can go play celestial catch.

I had planned to do it myself several times but couldn't, mainly because of the kids but it was harder on me than I expected as well.

Tough times, hope you all have some more great memories to make with your dog before that day.

Reactions: oneshot86