• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Puttting powder in other containers, what kind and who sells

ronas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
I have some powder I plan to sell locally. I want to put the powder in containers that will hold one pound. Not sure who makes a container for this. I don't just want to put powder in cheap clear plastic containers with snap one caps.

Who the fuck would buy powder in unmarked/opened cans from a non-retail establishment? I guess it takes all kinds though so why not just toss in it a gallon zipper bag and let the idiot who buys it from you figure out what to do with it.

Who the fuck would buy powder in unmarked/opened cans from a non-retail establishment? I guess it takes all kinds though so why not just toss in it a gallon zipper bag and let the idiot who buys it from you figure out what to do with it.

+1
To take it further, who the fuck would buy the same from a retailer?

Interesting response.

The idiots to whom you make reference are some friends in my gun club who would like to try a particular powder I have.

I don't know how you could know these people and have sufficient information to make a conclusion they are idiots.

If you have a crystal ball you use to reach these conclusion please let us know where they are available for sale.

Anyone who would buy powder in anything but a sealed factory container is an idiot. If you are letting a friend try some give him the full container and charge him for what he uses, if you can completely trust him. Otherwise, let him find his own.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

This is kinda like; no good deed goes unpunished.

So, you have a quantity of unnamed propellant, more than you can use and wish to dispose of it and make a couple bucks?

You know, when Hodgdons first started selling surplus powder, they used paper bags, at least that's how the story goes?

I think, "cheap clear plastic containers with snap one caps." may be the easiest solution. Second place, freezer ziplocks with (maybe) an Avery label I.D.

Anyone who would buy powder in anything but a sealed factory container is an idiot.

You are making assumptions without any factual basis. And of course we all know assumptions are the mother of all fuck ups.

These guys would be buying from a sealed 8 pound keg. I bring my counter balance scale with 4 pound maximum to a club meeting and who ever want to buy some can do so after the meeting. And I might add they will be paying less than retail price when available and no tax, shipping or hazmat.

Wow, tough fucking crowd filled with asshattery.

My first choice are extra 1lb powder bottles I have laying around.

Otherwise, any plastic vessel/container with either "HDPE" or "LDPE" molded in will suffice. Better if it is not clear or translucent.

Label accordingly, of course.

I certainly wouldn't buy odd lots of powder from some schmuck I didn't know, but have bought/borrowed/traded small batches of powder amongst my shooting buddies many times.

None of us are "idiots".

Anyone who would buy powder in anything but a sealed factory container is an idiot.

You are making assumptions without any factual basis. And of course we all know assumptions are the mother of all fuck ups.

These guys would be buying from a sealed 8 pound keg. I bring my counter balance scale with 4 pound maximum to a club meeting and who ever want to buy some can do so after the meeting. And I might add they will be paying less than retail price when available and no tax, shipping or hazmat.
You are asking advice without giving all pertinent information. Your original post makes it sound like you would be selling at a gun show or some such. If your friends are there watching you dispense the powder from the original container, have at it. I would never buy powder in a Ziploc bag if I wasn't the one to put it there. My words may have been harsh, but this is not a hobby to get sloppy with. You could easily endanger others and saddle yourself with major liability if something goes wrong.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting response.

The idiots to whom you make reference are some friends in my gun club who would like to try a particular powder I have.

I don't know how you could know these people and have sufficient information to make a conclusion they are idiots.

If you have a crystal ball you use to reach these conclusion please let us know where they are available for sale.

Well you didn't say that now did you. Your post implied that you were going to be repackaging powder and selling it "locally," i.e. to random people. The very nature of that makes it seem pretty likely that you're selling it to strangers because if you were selling it to friends you probably would/should have said "some friends are wanting to divide up a keg" or "I'm going to sell some powder to a few buddies"... You original post (below) in no way implies that you're selling to friends or people you know that would otherwise trust you. Furthermore, the fact that you're looking for a container that isn't something as easy as a zip-lock really makes it seem as though you're planing on selling it to people who don't know/trust you and thus they would be idiots for buying opened/repackages/unmarked powders. None of us said you were an idiot, just the people who would be buying powder in that form.

I have some powder I plan to sell locally.

US plastics will have your container. As has already been posted hdpe or ldpe is what you want in qt size. Black is preferable to keep out light which will decompose powder over time.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

This is a tough crowd today. It is common for me and a friend to share powder. Just use empty jugs and re label like MtnCreek said.
Don't let them carry it loose in their pocket. Someone might follow them with a cigarette lighter and pull a wile e coyote.

Our LGS still sells some powders in a bag. Was just in there today and bought 2 lbs of H4350 for $70 (and cried a little) but saw they had some powders in thick paper bags. Haven't seen that since I was a kid.

I think I would tell them that if they want to purchase some of my powder, they will need to bring an empty powder container to put it in. I think that most people who reload probably have good enough sense to know that they will need to clearly label the container so they'll know what's in it.

Yeah..... Not a good idea to remove from original container. Even if properly marked something bad could happen if proper powder is not used for a specific load. We all know that of course. Let them borrow it and give it back

Our LGS still sells some powders in a bag. Was just in there today and bought 2 lbs of H4350 for $70 (and cried a little) but saw they had some powders in thick paper bags. Haven't seen that since I was a kid.

Tough crowd they say, I was with Binder from the start. Buddies are one thing, yes the trust is there???

But this post, some gun store taking 8lb jugs and breaking them open to sell 1lb'ers is fucking horseshit!!!!

Last edited:
Yes, tough fucking crowd. However, the OP could have been a lot clearer about selling to fellow club members and dispensing from a jug while they watch. Secondly, when I said, "why complicate"....just use the clear plastic, thinking the buyer probably isn't worried about long term storage, out on his sun porch.

I don't see anything wrong with what he wants to do, as long as he has friends he wants to share with, and with the supply problems these days, I don't think he will have any problem selling it. And, unless he has a whole lot more than 8 pounds, to worry about containers is small potatoes. He's not setting up at the gun show, he's just (basically) sharing with friends. BB

Yeah..... Not a good idea to remove from original container. Even if properly marked something bad could happen if proper powder is not used for a specific load. We all know that of course. Let them borrow it and give it back

This makes no sense at all. If they can't read their own writing then what makes you think they can read the original label?

I used to buy Blue Dot? I think it was back 40 years ago in a paper bag. Our local stores did this all the time.
Personally I wouldn't have any problem with buying powder from a friend to try. I'd store it in a dark container labeled correctly. I work in a factory and we transfer flammables all the time into smaller containers. Just follow safety rules with correct labels.

Speaking of blue dot... or red dot, green dot...

Do you even have to label those?

I hope I'm permitted to post this here but since some have said I was not specific here are the specifics: Powder is Accurate 2520, price is $27 per lbs. You must be member of Palmetto Gun Club to purchase at one of our monthly meetings.

We have 600 member and a waiting list to get in. Not all members are local to the area, and this offer by me is only for local members, that is no shipping. I am not a gunshop or dealer, just a retired guy with extra stuff.

If someone feels the need to bash someone, i.e. my club members or me one, or anyone else I would think that that person would ask for clarification from the OP (me) before doing so.

If someone feels the need to bash someone, i.e. my club members or me one, or anyone else I would think that that person would ask for clarification from the OP (me) before doing so.

You're a little emotional, this was settled yesterday after you "FULLY" explained your intentions. I'd bet most of us have gotten powder from friends and put in containers that were marked properly.

I don't know High Binder, but if this is directed toward him it is unwarranted, he relented after a full intent was disclosed.

You're a little emotional, this was settled yesterday after you "FULLY" explained your intentions. I'd bet most of us have gotten powder from friends and put in containers that were marked properly.

I don't know High Binder, but if this is directed toward him it is unwarranted, he relented after a full intent was disclosed.

My last post was not directed at anyone person in particular. It was my effort at giving complete and full disclosure of what I was doing, if giving complete and full disclosure is being a little emotional than so be it.

no, the OP was perfectly calm in every one of his posts ( did not reply in kind )

if you want to find "emotional" look at yours and other initial replies

I am trying to think of something witty here ... like BYOC (bring your own container) or ... tell him to use his Mason jar after he finished off the shine.
But it is not based on cruelty or harshness but in the simplicity/ridiculousness of the question.
How hard is it to put in anything?
Coffee can for example, do I need to say take the coffee out first? :p

Duly noted Goerge.
But, the clarification should have came in the op, or none of this would've ever started. If it had been stated, my thoughts would've been, good on you, share the booty, or bounty.

And now for something completely different!
A direct answer to the OP's question. Sinclair/Brownells and others sell empty powder containers for use with powder measures. The ones I have bought are a milky white plastic with a screw on top, kinda translucent....
I think these would serve you well--Best Wishes Find them here: SINCLAIR POWDER BOTTLES AND ADAPTERS | Sinclair Intl

Last edited:
I'd add one thing with labeling. I put some (fast) shotgun powder in another powder container many years ago and relabeled it very well. I knew all the advise not to do that, but what could possibly go wrong, right?

Quite some years later, I came upon this (slow) rifle powder just right for my .243 I was looking to reload at the time.

You guessed it, it was that shotgun powder and the labeling I'd used had all deteriorated and were gone or illegible. It was very lucky that I recognized the powder shape was wrong for the can, and then I remembered my transfer many years before.

Good lesson. Never again. I'd make people bring their own cans and label it themselves. There's some very strong adhesive tapes that you can write on in a way that doesn't come off. But never rely on writing on plastic bottles or tins or electrical tape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Decades back, I was a member of a club that bought and resold powder. They repackaged in small containers with sealed caps. I burned up a metric ton of 473 and 540 at something like six or seven bucks a pound. I surely miss those days.

Wow, I guess you got it figured out by now, but I'll add my story. I bought a 55 lb drum of Ramshot TAC recently from a friend that is a commercial reloder and sold half of it to some friends that needed some. Sold it in gallon baggies like the dope dealers in town package it. I did label it with an Avery label to include the lot numbers though. That being said, when I opened this thread, I thought there is now way this guy is going to sell baggies of powder to the public!!! Glad you clarified the situation.