• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PVA Osprey 6.5 Creedmoor Prefit and 124 Grain Seneca Solid Copper Projectiles compared Berger 130OTM updated 9-12 Berger Seat depth test

bbhank

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 9, 2009
    so cal
    Here my honest review of these products: They work and work well, but there are somethings you should know.

I was building an American Rifle Archimedes action that was going into a Foundation stock and I was in search of a barrel. I reached out to PVA and caught Josh answering the phones. I explained to him that I was building a PRS style rig and was looking for a barrel. We spoke of the Osprey's and I new it would be a good barrel as I had a PVA prefit for a RPR that shot dime size groups all day long.

When speaking about the copper bullets Josh told me they had better performance due to the high BC and lower weight of comparable BC bullets, which allowed them to fly faster. He told me they mag fed without any issues, and I could switch back and forth to cup & core bullets without any issue. Josh also said the bullets were forgiving to seating depth and easy to load for.

This is where I ran into issues. I started my load development at 42.6 of H4350 in Peterson Brass with CCI450 primers, COAL 15thou off the mag max length of 2.875". Shot 5 round groups up to 43.5, with no promising group. Then I loaded 43.6 to 44.5 and found two promising groups at 43.9 and 44, both had 3 round touching and 2 flyers(See target below).
    I thought something weird might be going on because I felt like the gun wanted to shoot and the data looked promising. 43.7 grain load with shot average velocity was 2993, 43.8 was 2997, 43.9 was 2998, and 44 was 3001 with SD's at 10.36,13.09,10.28, and 5.35 respectively. that seemed like a node to me. I ultimately choose to move forward with the 44 grain load and called Josh about the flyers.

With Josh's guidance I found that the Bolt handle relief in the stock wasn't correct the, the bolt wasn't closing all of the way. So I sent the stock back to Foundation and those amazing people really dialed me, John kyle really did more than he had to on that fix.

So I got the stock back and Josh had mentioned that neck tension may be an issue. So I then tested neck tension 4 different ways and that didn't seem to make difference.

After some other conversations I decided to see how far I was loading the pilot band on the bullets off of the lands. I painted the pilot band with a sharpee and then used my Hornady comparator and came up with a length of 2.952 COAL for the pilot band touching the lands. Then worked back from there in .005" increments and when I got to an overall length of 2.917" i print a 4 shot group with .35 Moa and then 5 shot took it to .51 Moa, with an absurd 2.77 4 shot sd and 5.68 5 shot sd. The target below with no writing is the seating depth and this group is the left column bottom group. You can see on the same target that as you move down the right side column the groups open up the further the pilot band gets from the lands.

In conclusion I am fairly happy with the barrel, as a matter if fact I fire formed my brass with 123 Amax bullets and even those shot under an 1" with a random powder charge. I am going to work up the Berger 130's next. The 130's G7 is .287 compared to the PVA Seneca's at .294 and are $0.31 less expensive per projectile and will most likely shoot out of a magazine.

I'm not very happy with the Seneca's, if you buy them in bulk and take the discount for doing so you are looking at $0.83 per projectile. There is no guarantee that the projectiles will feed from a magazine, and in my experience with a .199" freebore they don't shoot out of a magazine. This sucks for PVA because at an average barrel life of 3500 rounds for a 6.5 creed I would have spent nearly 3k there in projectiles over the life of the barrel.

My PVA generally speaking has treated me good but they are difficult to communicate with and there is only one guy there that can answer real technical questions about loading and stuff. Lately he seems to be very busy.

I am going to try an ARC long Magazine which claims to be able to hold 2.950" length rounds and see if that may work in my rifle and once I run the Bergers i will update this thread.

43.5 - 44.4 Loads
    43.9.jpg

Longest load 2.952 on the top left Column best group of 2.917 at bottom of left column and shortest load on the bottom of the right column.
    Depthjpg.jpg

Last edited:
    get some non binder plate mags and run up to 2.95" all you want. accurate and MDT both make them.

ARC mags seem to be hit or miss for a lot of people even with the extra $25 for a new follower

Reactions: DIBBS
    Finally got out and tested the Berger 130 OTM.

As you will see from the target below the Berger's are way more consistent for shooting out of a standard length AICS Magazine. The barrel is way more forgiving to the cup and core projectiles over the solids in charge weight as well.

The largest group on this target might be 1.375" with the smallest being .5-something".

For the Seneca's I fire formed all of my brass before starting my load development and for the Berger's i did not. Berger's still out preformed them from a group size stand point.

b130 42.4-43.3.jpg

I will be doing a bullet seating depth test shortly and will post the results of that as well. Which charge weight do you think should do it with?

Finally got out and tested the Berger 130 OTM.

As you will see from the target below the Berger's are way more consistent for shooting out of a standard length AICS Magazine. The barrel is way more forgiving to the cup and core projectiles over the solids in charge weight as well.

The largest group on this target might be 1.375" with the smallest being .5-something".

For the Seneca's I fire formed all of my brass before starting my load development and for the Berger's i did not. Berger's still out preformed them from a group size stand point.

View attachment 7939451

I will be doing a bullet seating depth test shortly and will post the results of that as well. Which charge weight do you think should do it with?
    I'd go with 43.1, I'm assuming that's ES/SD written on the target. 43.1 looks about as good as any other group and the SD/ES and groups .1 grain higher and lower at 43.0 and 43.2 are also good.

I'd go with 43.1, I'm assuming that's ES/SD written on the target. 43.1 looks about as good as any other group and the SD/ES and groups .1 grain higher and lower at 43.0 and 43.2 are also good.
    Those are the SD/ED numbers

that's quite a large spread of ES/SD ranges honestly

was there a lot of gusty wind?

what scale do you use? brass type? reloading practices?

I've been shooting the Senecas in a .300NM for a while now and for some reason they seem to prefer tight necks on my brass. I went from 0.002" neck tension to 0.004" and groups collapsed. Why? I have no idea. In fact, once I started using a tight neck bushing on my brass, the Senecas shot remarkably well and consistently, even during a charge weight ladder.

I'm just a sample of one, so your mileage may vary.

I've been shooting the Senecas in a .300NM for a while now and for some reason they seem to prefer tight necks on my brass. I went from 0.002" neck tension to 0.004" and groups collapsed. Why? I have no idea. In fact, once I started using a tight neck bushing on my brass, the Senecas shot remarkably well and consistently, even during a charge weight ladder.

I'm just a sample of one, so your mileage may vary.

DT,

I got them to shoot, but they had to loaded at 2.932". I ordered a couple of the no binder plate mags and I am waiting for them to come in. So they will feed from the box

The real question is where is the performance benefit at $0.25 per round more. The seneca's fly at 3001 with a G7 at .294. The Bergers fly at 2973 with G7 of .287. At 1450 yards there is a .5 mil difference in drop. Sure the Seneca's have slightly less recoil but to put it in PVA's terms over the life of the barrel i save $875.00 in projectiles. Right?

Yeah, I don't see the advantage with the smaller cartridges. It's a different story with the big magnums.

Reactions: bbhank
    I let foundation know about a month ago, their ARC inlet needs updated. I also had to clearance my bolt cut to get full closure. The ejection port also overlaps the Archimedes quite a bit. No problems there, just cosmetics however. The pva bullets ive ran, Cayuga 6.5mm, like some jump 30-40k has shot very well in 65cm, saum and prc.

Something that came across muddled above was the neck tension comment:

Solids in general are very sensitive to consistent neck tension.
    If you're just swapping bushings and expanders around without annealing differently for the solids it doesn't make much difference. I thought we covered this on the phone but perhaps it was lost in the discussion.

You need to anneal more often with solids and run about 0.002" of neck tension all the time.
    Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, but 0.004 is too much typically. Especially with heavier walled brass.

You're correct that I've been very busy lately. We had a machine delivered last month that was dropped by the rigging company coming in the door. I've done very little beyond scraping together the various bits and pieces of the mess that was created when that machine delivery went wrong.

• Wow
    Reactions: powdahound76
    @bohem

No it wasn't lost, I anneal every firing with with an AMP. I'm just not sure how to anneal differently, could you elaborate?

@bohem

No it wasn't lost, I anneal every firing with with an AMP. I'm just not sure how to anneal differently, could you elaborate?
    You're fine then. Mouth chamfer and annealing are important. I didn't see above that you're annealing each time and many times we hear issues the brass is getting annealed every third or fourth or fifth firing. Every other firing is typically what I recommend.

I don't recommend using a mandrel though. Use a bushing that gets you 0.002-0.003" of interference fit without dragging a mandrel through the neck too is my usual recommendation.

Between work and IDPA matches I finally got a chance to do a seating depth test on the bergers and the result were pretty good.

I’m going to load 25 of two of these lengths (2.251” & 2.254”) and chrono them in a one big sample to see what the stats are and then I’m done done!!!

This PVA Osprey barrel is the shit. I can’t say enough good things about it.

Here are the total test results and some group sizes.
    A19DD34B-4713-4112-A4D1-7BFE3704E5A5.jpeg
    BD3F3EAC-E9B7-40CA-AA2E-F8ACEB81127A.png
    F555E6C7-4299-43C7-BC8C-571EB679D37B.jpeg
    17A8BBF5-B833-475B-9CBD-15F590E9101C.jpeg

I’m going to lower the pull weight on my Triggertech trigger from 1.5lb to 1lb for this next test. I’ll keep everyone update of those results.

Thank you to America Rifle Co., PVA, Foundation stocks, and Trigger Tech for this awesome combo!!