• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PVA Status Updates: Hancock Rifle & NUCLEUS Barreled Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
Status Update on the JHR and Nucleus Barreled Actions:

Patriot Valley has the new machinery up and running on the shop floor now and the move is essentially complete. That was quite the endeavor but we're largely completed. The shop space is really a blessing and the new machine is scary fast and accurate... I am impressed by the performance it shows every time I ask it to do something. Each time we use it we learn more and the capabilities of the machine are just incredible. It's a huge step in the right direction to becoming the facility that I know PVA can be.

The JHR's are well underway. We have barrels in place from Rock Creek and we are cutting barrels currently.
We have triggers in stock for the first batch.
BRAVOs are in stock for the first batch of RH actions.
Muzzle brakes are in stock for the first batch. Actually, we are well situated on brakes overall with several hundred on the shelf for basic orders as well.

Waiting On:
Marking Variance from the ATF is not complete.
FFL move paperwork is not finalized and returned. This puts a damper on things for lots of gunsmithing as we're doing machine work in one place and keeping the receivers at the old shop to remain in compliance with federal code. We're working with the situation though so it's not that big of a deal.
Receivers from ARC. I speak with Ted regularly and he's making excellent progress but I can say for certain that we're going to miss the April 16th projected release date.
- The issue arises from the small parts in the bolt. There were suppliers lined up and supposed to be making parts before Ted announced the project to the world. One of those vendors was making several pieces inside the bolt, including bolt heads, and they backed out after dropping the ball.
- Rather than attempt to source and qualify a whole new vendor at a late date, American Rifle Company stepped up to the plate and brought in more personnel and a VERY slick multi spindle, multi turret MillTurn Okuma to make the parts in house. When I spoke to Ted yesterday they were running bolt heads while he and I spoke and they're making excellent progress on recovering the issues generated by the lame supplier.

When I asked for an updated estimate on lead Ted has said "Mid to Late May, but if we can go faster we're going to".

After all the hassles that I went through to get our new single turret, single spindle MillTurn running I have a strong appreciation for Ted's new Twin Spindle Twin Turret machine and what it required to get it cutting chips.

He said the following is in place:

Action bodies are hammering out through the milling centers and Wire EDM
Bolt heads are running on the new MillTurn currently.
Scope Rails for the Nucleus are machined and being anodized (they might be back from plating, that information is 10 days old)

Now, before I get a ton of emails/calls/PM's about an individualized status for a JHR or Nucleus barreled action, please read through what I've posted and know that as I know more I will update it here. Emails asking for "any further detail" I've asked Jeremy to ignore because it keeps him planted at a keyboard writing the same thing back over and over as opposed to working on a machine getting rifles out the door. If he's writing emails then his skills as a machinist and rifle builder are not being utilized to help me with the workload.

If we haven't made an update here then there is nothing of significance to put in an individual email/PM/call on the Nucleus and JHR Projects.

The new lead time actually works out well for me since it'll come in a new billing cycle. All in all the news isn't too bad.

With the original ARC Nucleus thread nuked by chinese hackers (or russian? hard to tell these days) can we get that discussion started back up here? Or would a new thread be more appropriate?

Reactions: Ericsl2
With the original ARC Nucleus thread nuked by chinese hackers (or russian? hard to tell these days) can we get that discussion started back up here? Or would a new thread be more appropriate?
I have no idea what happened to it. I haven't been on the Hide much the past few days. We got a crate of barrels in (not joking, it was over 1000lbs) and we have been focusing our attention on turning those blanks into finished pipes...

I have no idea what happened to it. I haven't been on the Hide much the past few days. We got a crate of barrels in (not joking, it was over 1000lbs) and we have been focusing our attention on turning those blanks into finished pipes...

Thanks for the minor update. That's plenty to keep you busy, as if you weren't busy enough! Any word on action wrenches for the nucleus? Last comment I recall on that was "it's being worked on" but I think that was in the other thread.

Regardless of how it got deleted, I'm sure many people here (me included) would appreciate any updates you can offer on John Hancock and Nucleus delivery dates.

It's easier to bug you than Ted.

We are hoping that ARC can deliver in that mid May timeframe but my order looks like it is going to be many production batches after the first.

I saw some ARC order numbers that seem to suggest to me that Nucleus pre-order and John Hancock rifles are totalling more than 1,500, maybe a lot more. I think I'm in the middle of the pack. I wish I hadn't spent a few days waffling over the purchase.

Could you let me know if I'm way off?

Thanks.

I don't know how many Nukes they have to make but I know we have over 200 total on order. The first 100 of which are coming earlier than the second batch. I spoke to Ted for a few minutes yesterday and they have actions in the wire EDM currently. That's good news because that's the last major machining step prior to laser, then heat treat. Once heat treated it's time for assembly and QC

I don't know where the rest of the small parts stand though.

I associate "experience" with brand swag, YouTube videos and a persona shared among the visible employees of bragging about their lifestyle.

I haven't seen that from PVA.

They have anticipation because they offer compelling products, not an experience.

Christmas in June will be over once John Hancock and Nucleus ship.

I’m so excited for mine. I’ll call the wait an experience hahah.

The updated schedule has put me right at the end of recovery from eye surgery so it’s going to be a great summer!

Will any of those include a savage prefit by chance?

Reactions: spife7980
I associate "experience" with brand swag, YouTube videos and a persona shared among the visible employees of bragging about their lifestyle.

I haven't seen that from PVA.

They have anticipation because they offer compelling products, not an experience.

Christmas in June will be over once John Hancock and Nucleus ship.

Sorry if my post came off negative. It wasn't meant to be. I really believe the excitement around this stuff has created a positive 'experience' for the buyers ... (I'm not one of those, but do own 3 PVA barrels and have known Josh as friend for 10yrs)

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the AARs of the JHs in the field.

ARC's website has had some rearranging lately; bolt heads for Mausingfield, scope rails for Nucleus, etc. Signs of progress.

Reactions: JCARL
I don't know how many Nukes they have to make but I know we have over 200 total on order. The first 100 of which are coming earlier than the second batch. I spoke to Ted for a few minutes yesterday and they have actions in the wire EDM currently. That's good news because that's the last major machining step prior to laser, then heat treat. Once heat treated it's time for assembly and QC

I don't know where the rest of the small parts stand though.

This is great news and thanks for the update. One thing that hasn't been talked about that would be nice to get a status on if you don't mind are the prefit barrels for the Nucleus that some of us have on order. I'm just wondering what your ETA is on those, it would be nice if we see them around the time Ted gets actions out the door.
Thanks in advance!

Will any of those include a savage prefit by chance?

Indeed there were, the bulk of the 6.5mm barrels we've been awaiting shipped. Not all of them but enough that the TL1 has been filling up 55gal drums of 416R turnings for over a week straight just cutting contours.

The new lathe is really hitting a stride now too. With time and experience comes increased quality and efficiency and the new lathe is indeed a beast for making precision rifle barrels. I'm still tinkering in moments here and there to get certain tooling ironed out and more effective but the machine as a whole was an excellent acquisition.

This is great news and thanks for the update. One thing that hasn't been talked about that would be nice to get a status on if you don't mind are the prefit barrels for the Nucleus that some of us have on order. I'm just wondering what your ETA is on those, it would be nice if we see them around the time Ted gets actions out the door.
Thanks in advance!

We just got our first shipment of BarLoc production kits in hand. Some are for Savage barrels, some for Shouldered barrels. With the parts in hand came the time for qualifying the production programs and cutting the barrels associated. We've been doing that for 2 days now, the parts came on Tuesday and I spent part of Wednesday making test pieces and breakaway torque testing to make sure our prototype programs lined up with the needs of the production parts.

ETA's are variable based on order to order. We cut every single 223 order we could over the last 2 days but there are still more. We didn't have enough 22c centerfire blanks to fill all of them. More are coming next week but we put a big dent in those.

Similarly the 6mm's were all contoured and I'm moving from 223's to 6mm chambers in the turning center while the Haas cuts contours on 6.5mm barrels.

Next piece of news:

Pics will follow but we ordered a fiber laser at the end of April, I was notified today that the machine ships from the distributor in TX on Monday. We still have setup, training, etc to go through but I'm optimistic that we'll be burning on barrels inside of 2 weeks instead of milling all the engraving.

Again... pics will follow once I have it in hand.

Indeed there were, the bulk of the 6.5mm barrels we've been awaiting shipped. Not all of them but enough that the TL1 has been filling up 55gal drums of 416R turnings for over a week straight just cutting contours.

The new lathe is really hitting a stride now too. With time and experience comes increased quality and efficiency and the new lathe is indeed a beast for making precision rifle barrels. I'm still tinkering in moments here and there to get certain tooling ironed out and more effective but the machine as a whole was an excellent acquisition.

We just got our first shipment of BarLoc production kits in hand. Some are for Savage barrels, some for Shouldered barrels. With the parts in hand came the time for qualifying the production programs and cutting the barrels associated. We've been doing that for 2 days now, the parts came on Tuesday and I spent part of Wednesday making test pieces and breakaway torque testing to make sure our prototype programs lined up with the needs of the production parts.

ETA's are variable based on order to order. We cut every single 223 order we could over the last 2 days but there are still more. We didn't have enough 22c centerfire blanks to fill all of them. More are coming next week but we put a big dent in those.

Similarly the 6mm's were all contoured and I'm moving from 223's to 6mm chambers in the turning center while the Haas cuts contours on 6.5mm barrels.

Next piece of news:

Pics will follow but we ordered a fiber laser at the end of April, I was notified today that the machine ships from the distributor in TX on Monday. We still have setup, training, etc to go through but I'm optimistic that we'll be burning on barrels inside of 2 weeks instead of milling all the engraving.

yesss.gif

Thanks for the update Josh.
tiphat.gif

Next piece of news:

Thanks!

I’m waiting (impatiently) for a 223 barrel from you and a Nucleus from ARC. I’m hoping that the CRF nature of the action will help with the feeding issues I had with my Tikka 223.

I’m waiting (impatiently) for a 223 barrel from you and a Nucleus from ARC. I’m hoping that the CRF nature of the action will help with the feeding issues I had with my Tikka 223.
I chambered every single 22 caliber centerfire blank we had in the shop as of Friday afternoon.
I have a pile of them stacked up getting muzzle threads this week.
Hopefully the laser will be in by the end of the week and I can learn how to burn engraving next weekend.

I have 20 more blanks coming from Rock Creek sometime in the next 10 days, they'll get contoured and then back to cutting those as well.
We tested the Mausingfield 223 bolt heads and ejector for function last fall, if the Nucleus works half as well as those did the solution should leave you quite pleased with the performance.

We've moved back to cutting 6mm chambers while the 6.5mm blanks are contouring in the TL1. The SL1500M makes short, precise work of barrels. I have more workholding coming for it this week as well that should improve throughput on the machine and make it easier to handle the barrels going forward.

I chambered every single 22 caliber centerfire blank we had in the shop as of Friday afternoon.
I have a pile of them stacked up getting muzzle threads this week.
Hopefully the laser will be in by the end of the week and I can learn how to burn engraving next weekend.

I have 20 more blanks coming from Rock Creek sometime in the next 10 days, they'll get contoured and then back to cutting those as well.
We tested the Mausingfield 223 bolt heads and ejector for function last fall, if the Nucleus works half as well as those did the solution should leave you quite pleased with the performance.

We've moved back to cutting 6mm chambers while the 6.5mm blanks are contouring in the TL1. The SL1500M makes short, precise work of barrels. I have more workholding coming for it this week as well that should improve throughput on the machine and make it easier to handle the barrels going forward.

Really excited with the progress!

It looks like the barrels are being cut in ascending order. My 7mm Saum barrel must be behind the 6.5 barrels then. I hope no one is getting a 50 cal... Seriously though, thank you for the updates Bohem.

It looks like the barrels are being cut in ascending order. My 7mm Saum barrel must be behind the 6.5 barrels then. I hope no one is getting a 50 cal... Seriously though, thank you for the updates Bohem.
Most of the reason the barrels were cut that way right now is because the shipping pallet that arrived 10 days ago was packed top down: 6mm, 6.5mm short blanks, 6.5mm long blanks, misc. larger calibers at the bottom.

The pallet weighed well over 1000lbs so we started at the top and we're cutting our way through to the bottom.

The 223's were something that we had allowed to stack up for a few weeks while I was collecting the blanks. Some customers were supposed to send in Kreigers, others sent Bartleins, we had blanks coming from Rock Creek... by the time all the pieces arrived we had about 18 to cut and I kept them all together instead of bouncing around.

Has anyone heard from Ted at ARC as to when we can expect the Nucleus to begin shipping?
Well, just last Friday, in the first post in this thread, Josh posted this:

When I asked for an updated estimate on lead Ted has said "Mid to Late May, but if we can go faster we're going to".

After all the hassles that I went through to get our new single turret, single spindle MillTurn running I have a strong appreciation for Ted's new Twin Spindle Twin Turret machine and what it required to get it cutting chips.

He said the following is in place:

Action bodies are hammering out through the milling centers and Wire EDM
Bolt heads are running on the new MillTurn currently.
Scope Rails for the Nucleus are machined and being anodized (they might be back from plating, that information is 10 days old)

That seems to me to be about what you will hear from Ted. To be clear, the answer is that they may be shipping this week or next, but no guarantee.

If we placed an order(deposit) for the John Hancock rifle but want to add the .223 trainer package is there a separate waiting list to get added to? Or will that just be an option when finalizing the order? Or is that down the road after 6.5 6mm ship etc.?
Thx

Reactions: b6graham

That seems to me to be about what you will hear from Ted. To be clear, the answer is that they may be shipping this week or next, but no guarantee.
That info was posted a month ago, not last week.

I would love to hear that ARC is meeting their goal. If not, it would be nice to know if they need to adjust that ship date.

I'm anxious which is my problem but not knowing makes it worse.

That post was from APRIL 11th and not this past Friday.

That info was posted a month ago, not last week.

I would love to hear that ARC is meeting their goal. If not, it would be nice to know if they need to adjust that ship date.

I'm anxious which is my problem but not knowing makes it worse.
Lol! You are correct. Meh, April 11th or May 11th, what's it matter between friends, right?

Try not to take this in the wrong way, but as I said in the original lost ARC Nucleus thread, there are some people that should probably avoid new product introduction group buys. That includes people who need a product for a build that is happening right away, those that need the product for a match/class/build that has a hard and specific due date, those that are naturally anxious and cannot remove themselves from the need to know exactly when their product will ship, and anyone who thinks that the target date thrown out by the builder/dealer/group buy coordinator is a good date to start with. The reason for my statement is that there are so many things that can, and usually do go wrong with a product introduction. They vary from; parts and pieces that have been outsourced but not arriving (check), pre-order numbers through the roof and way beyond expectation (check), design and/or machinery issues that need to be ironed out (check and check) to any number of other small things that add up to ultimate disappointment and agita for a buyer.

That said, I understand that buyers want to know, but it serves no purpose to keep asking in the long run other than to heighten the general anxiety level.

P.S. I have one on order also.

Last edited:
I've got a Nucleus barreled action in the queue somewhere...not in any rush for it, but HURRY UP WITH DAT 223 DAMN SAVAGE PREFIT! ;)

Reactions: spife7980
Fair enough, some people shouldn't buy on a pre-sale but I think anyone running a pre-sale should try to go for transparency if they are missing dates.

I think ARC is doing a lot better than some in that respect but this would be a good time for an update or a picture of a box of parts in process.

ARC does actions right, they should try to do pre-sales with the same thoughtfulness.

Fair enough, some people shouldn't buy on a pre-sale but I think anyone running a pre-sale should try to go for transparency if they are missing dates.

I think ARC is doing a lot better than some in that respect but this would be a good time for an update or a picture of a box of parts in process.

ARC does actions right, they should try to do pre-sales with the same thoughtfulness.

They've stated that demand far exceeded their expectations and they're doing everything they can in order to meet their deadline goals. Hell, ARC even stopped accepting orders for the Nucleus because they felt it would be irresponsible to continue offering it for sale with their backlog. Getting an update every few weeks, whether it from Ted directly or through Josh as a business partner is certainly fair. The more time they spend answering/updating status is less time cutting materials. From the sounds of everything that has been shared to us at this point, I'm not in any way upset or worried about it. I'm sure there have been many other annoyances they're dealing with that aren't worth discussing, and frankly I want them to stay focused on getting product cut and moved. If that means I only see an update every 3-5 weeks I'm fine with it.

I'm not saying no updates, and I'll certainly appreciate any updates provided, but I'm not expecting any either. I'm still waiting on the chassis, barrel, and action, so we'll see which pieces arrive when. At this point I suspect the action will be last to arrive, and I'm optimistic for mid June on that. We'll see what happens.

It has been a month since the last meaningful update for Nucleus and they are approaching the revised ship date.

This would be a good time to take 5 minutes to say "late May is looking good", "bolt parts are still holding us up" or "a production issue is causing further delay".

Of course Ted doesn't have to do that, it would just be nice.

I'm at 11 weeks today for a prefit salvage 6.5 barrel. I hope mine is in that pallet of blanks but if not I'm sure it will be worth the wait when it does arrive.

I'm at 11 weeks today for a prefit salvage 6.5 barrel. I hope mine is in that pallet of blanks but if not I'm sure it will be worth the wait when it does arrive.
I waited 6+ weeks for a Criterion Remage barrel from NSS. Maybe you should look there...

I've got a Nucleus barreled action in the queue somewhere...not in any rush for it, but HURRY UP WITH DAT 223 DAMN SAVAGE PREFIT! ;)

I think I mentioned it above but perhaps it was another thread, the 223 prefits are barrels that are literally getting muzzles cut now. I cut every single 22c centerfire blank I had in the shop over the previous few days last week. They are all due for muzzles now.

Lol! You are correct. Meh, April 11th or May 11th, what's it matter between friends, right?

Try not to take this in the wrong way, but as I said in the original lost ARC Nucleus thread, there are some people that should probably avoid new product introduction group buys. That includes people who need a product for a build that is happening right away, those that need the product for a match/class/build that has a hard and specific due date, those that are naturally anxious and cannot remove themselves from the need to know exactly when their product will ship, and anyone who thinks that the target date thrown out by the builder/dealer/group buy coordinator is a good date to start with. The reason for my statement is that there are so many things that can, and usually do go wrong with a product introduction. They vary from; parts and pieces that have been outsourced but not arriving (check), pre-order numbers through the roof and way beyond expectation (check), design and/or machinery issues that need to be ironed out (check and check) to any number of other small things that add up to ultimate disappointment and agita for a buyer.

That said, I understand that buyers want to know, but it serves no purpose to keep asking in the long run other than to heighten the general anxiety level.

P.S. I have one on order also.

I appreciate your quite rational mentality to it all.

Thank you

At some point there's a time when folks working on getting parts setup and running focus on that instead of getting updates out. I've realized this with ARC (generally Ted) for some time now, so I've been trying to stay up to date with the process over there as much as I can. There's a limitation on how much I can keep up with on our own end as well as talking to Ted and seeing how things go there.

I spoke to Ted on Saturday evening for over 2 hours on a bunch of things, mostly related to Nucleus/JHR/Mausingfields but sometimes we do get on a tangent about other topics.

Anyway, the way it's looking is that the very first actions for JHR's are going to ship to PVA at the last couple days of May. The first actions being shipped to customers are for the Hancocks, not Nucleus, as we placed a large PO before the project was ever announced and that was part of the deal. Retail actions are coming immediately after that and Ted's looking to be shipping to FFL's too.

So, if you have an order through ARC or through US keep an eye on the inbox for the email you used to place the order because you'll be getting a follow-on invoice to pay the balance of the bill due.

FOr PVA orders, the way we are sending invoices is we'll be stacking up the first batch of builds and listing them in the order we cut the barrels, fill stocks, etc. Customers will get an email to pay the balance due on the order. For JHR's that's 1750 plus shipping and any accessories ordered (brake, scope rings, etc).

I'm going back to cutting barrels now.

I waited 6+ weeks for a Criterion Remage barrel from NSS. Maybe you should look there...

@RFutch ordered a custom chamber with a short throat.
His is almost up for cutting but the lead from NSS on a custom throated barrel is 16 weeks. The delay in contours arriving for certain things is a very large part of why we're contouring in house and using 1 machine for chambering/threading and 1 machine for cutting contours. That was the only way to get caught up with contours not arriving.

I have a 223 criterion that is awesome but decided to go with PVA this time. I wanted a custom chamber with the expertise that goes with it. I am an impatient bastard but at the same time I don’t mind waiting for something better.

Reactions: BoilerUP
Man...on one hand, I think the owner is doing an awesome job of keeping things updated. On the other hand, it's clear that custom guns are not for me. It would drive me bonkers to wait that long. Maybe I'll have more patience as I age, but I don't have that much right now.

That being said, if I ever bought a custom/semi-custom, it would be hard to get anything other than a JHR.

Last edited:
I find it amusing the number of people that get in on a pre-buy and expect the item to be delivered quickly. It takes a lot of time to make an action completely,and guy's still want it yesterday. Chill the hell out!
When they get your's done,they will let you know.

If you really want to learn how to be patient,buy some suppressor's,and then wait for up to a year to get approved for a tax stamp.

I think I mentioned it above but perhaps it was another thread, the 223 prefits are barrels that are literally getting muzzles cut now. I cut every single 22c centerfire blank I had in the shop over the previous few days last week. They are all due for muzzles now.

I appreciate your quite rational mentality to it all.

Thank you

At some point there's a time when folks working on getting parts setup and running focus on that instead of getting updates out. I've realized this with ARC (generally Ted) for some time now, so I've been trying to stay up to date with the process over there as much as I can. There's a limitation on how much I can keep up with on our own end as well as talking to Ted and seeing how things go there.

I spoke to Ted on Saturday evening for over 2 hours on a bunch of things, mostly related to Nucleus/JHR/Mausingfields but sometimes we do get on a tangent about other topics.

Anyway, the way it's looking is that the very first actions for JHR's are going to ship to PVA at the last couple days of May. The first actions being shipped to customers are for the Hancocks, not Nucleus, as we placed a large PO before the project was ever announced and that was part of the deal. Retail actions are coming immediately after that and Ted's looking to be shipping to FFL's too.

So, if you have an order through ARC or through US keep an eye on the inbox for the email you used to place the order because you'll be getting a follow-on invoice to pay the balance of the bill due.

FOr PVA orders, the way we are sending invoices is we'll be stacking up the first batch of builds and listing them in the order we cut the barrels, fill stocks, etc. Customers will get an email to pay the balance due on the order. For JHR's that's 1750 plus shipping and any accessories ordered (brake, scope rings, etc).

I'm going back to cutting barrels now.
Thank you for the update. I'm glad ARC was able to recover from the bolt issue in a timely manner.

I look forward to seeing what ARC order numbers go out in the first batch so I can try to figure out about when mine might ship.

Reactions: jgs8163
I find it amusing the number of people that get in on a pre-buy and expect the item to be delivered quickly. It takes a lot of time to make an action completely,and guy's still want it yesterday. Chill the hell out!
When they get your's done,they will let you know.

If you really want to learn how to be patient,buy some suppressor's,and then wait for up to a year to get approved for a tax stamp.
All I asked was if anyone had talked with Ted and if they heard when we might expect shipping to begin. That’s all and BOHEM answered it. I can’t speak for rest of these comments posted after mine. So chill the hell out!

Reactions: alwaywatchyoursix
I have a 223 criterion that is awesome but decided to go with PVA this time. I wanted a custom chamber with the expertise that goes with it. I am an impatient bastard but at the same time I don’t mind waiting for something better.

I too chose PVA for a 223 prefit over Criterion, which I've owned in the past and been very pleased with. I don't mind waiting for a barrel that has been proven here to shoot well...but x2 on the impatient bastard part!

Status
Not open for further replies.