• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PVA vs MPA barreled action

Maveroid

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2018
Hi guys,

I’ve been looking for a barreled action to put into a MDT ACC in either 6.5CM or 6.5PRC. I’ve narrowed it down to the PVA John Hancock(ARC action) or a MPA (Curtis)barreled action with the TT diamond trigger. From my research either should be a great choice. Anyone have opinions? I’m open to others also but want to keep the barreled action under 2k.

The scope I’ve chosen will be a Minox ZP5.

Im fairly new to the long range stuff as a FYI. I also plan on getting into reloading. As for use, it will just be a gun to take to the range plinking for now. I work overseas so I’m not home enough to get into PRS atm.

Unless your hunting or have access to 1200+ yards I'd stick with creedmoor. The PRC will cost more for ammo or reloading components and burn out the barrel quicker.

I won’t be starting to build until around July. I’ll definately look into LRI and Keystone. Ive also been watching the PX. The wait times wouldn’t bother me either. I do 6 months over seas and a month off rotations at the moment. If wait times weren’t a issue would PVA be worth it? I don’t really plan on shooting this gun till 2020.

So of those two, which has the best components? Or should I just pick one because they are both great? They both seem to be similar in price, shoot sub 1/2 MOA, and be semi custom. Is there a downside to either? I’ve read the Curtis action is as smooth as they get. They both probably shoot better than me but I’d still like to pick whichever is the best bang for the buck.

Yeah I’d definitely wait and stalk the for sale area. Because some great deals can be had if you wait. I have a build I’ve been waiting 9 months on. I’ve seen some great deals in that time

Last edited:
Reactions: Maveroid
I have been anxiously awaiting that mdt br magazine. I would have bet money that it would have been polymer. Guess I was wrong on that one. Currently I am running that same mdt 12 round magazine with my origin barreled 6 br. I am loading it with a tool I bought in the px a few months ago and it has worked pretty well. For the rifle choice you could do a a x-caliber savage prefit, nss barrel nut, bighorn origin, krg bravo, pva jet blast and a timney calvin elite for about $2000. Or just get the mpa on order and sit and wait

Reactions: Maveroid
Just got my Curtis Axiom full DLC this week. Its smooth as glass. I love it.

That mag still looks like a regular mag with a mag kit in it or am I missing the secret sauce in it?

I prefer my AW mags with the HRD kit the most but a 12rd option would be nice.

I would choose a builder with honest lead times and open communication with what they build. And if you did happen to run into a problem with the finished product they take care of it immediately. Lots of good choices out there. Keystone, Beanland, SAC, Gradous are a few on that list. Stay away from the ones with empty promises and endless excuses. That will leave you pissed off and frustrated regardless of how good the end product is supposed to be. It’s your money and having a rifle built should be a fun, exciting experience. Read the forum and make your own choice.

Thanks for the opinions guys! I work out of Alabama and Tooter Meridith is nearby. I think I’ll speak with him this summer when I’m home. I’d rather deal with someone face to face anyway.

People are currently giving pva criticism because of the JH/ARC thing but I'll be honest I was shooting precision rifles when Reagan was president.... Two of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned had his barrels. I could get instant satisfaction and good with another builder, instead I ordered a 6br for my TL3 and got instant satisfaction because he had one already prebuilt that one of you knuckle heads cancelled on ?

If you have the time pva is a great choice

Last edited:
Reactions: RyanM and Maveroid