• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PVD recommendations?

Sundodger

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2021
Washington
Kicking off on a rifle project where I would like to have the stainless steel action, bolt, and barrel coated with a PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) like diamond like carbon (DLC) but might be willing to do melontite, or similar as long as the application temp is reasonably low.

Not looking for ceracoat/duracoat/things that are paint/etc.

Any recommendations?

I was recommended Club Customs, but when I contacted them it sounds like they are out of the PVD game.

The only company that has gotten back to me is STS firearms. Their prices are reasonable, but does anyone have experience with them?

Thank you Rick, I will reach out.

Their website seems to indicate they are not taking on work right now since they are so busy, so we will see.

Since it seems likely integrity might not have the capacity to take on more projects open to any other recommendations.

Vulcan Machine was going to DLC a rifle bolt for me (they were doing a slide also). I ended up not doing the bolt, but the slide looks great.

They were reasonable and fairly quick. Reach out—they may balk at the barrel, but who knows.

https://vulcanmachinewerks.com/

ZY

Looking into Birdsong Black-T it looks to me like that isn’t a PVD process and more of a thin paint. Did I miss something?

No you are correct, just superior to PVD, particularly for bolt actions.