• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PVS-14 3x magnifier advice

Brand new mil issue 3X magnifiers (there were 3 different mil approved suppliers and all are good) sell for about 150 regularly. Ask around or check the FB groups.

I LOVE the image and extra info 3X magnifiers give, but I always end up selling them because I never actually end up finding a situation to attach them in the field 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Run away from anything Armasight. Period.

Brand new mil issue 3X magnifiers (there were 3 different mil approved suppliers and all are good) sell for about 150 regularly. Ask around or check the FB groups.

I LOVE the image and extra info 3X magnifiers give, but I always end up selling them because I never actually end up finding a situation to attach them in the field 🤷‍♂️
Then why do you keep buying them? LOL. As for anything armasight, the new sidekick has been pretty nice for the price, but I've got the top model of TNVC PVS-14 so it's hard to bring myself to buy a magnifier that doesn't match, looking through awesome glass into not as awesome glass, hahaha.

Then why do you keep buying them? LOL. As for anything armasight, the new sidekick has been pretty nice for the price, but I've got the top model of TNVC PVS-14 so it's hard to bring myself to buy a magnifier that doesn't match, looking through awesome glass into not as awesome glass, hahaha.

You may be right about their most recent offering (I think the jury is still out), so I’ve edited my comment to reflect that.

I keep buying magnifiers because I don’t learn 🤣

After spending:

4k for the 14
2k for the laser
2k for the helmet/mount/coms setup…

I tell myself I’m just a $150 (tiny percentage of the total investment) magnifier away from having my setup complete. Then it sits on a shelf and I regret it 🤣

Last edited:
but I've got the top model of TNVC PVS-14 so it's hard to bring myself to buy a magnifier that doesn't match, looking through awesome glass into not as awesome glass, hahaha.
Top models of any PVS-14 or any Gen 3 NV (assuming good quality glass on objective and oclar) is not necessary for head mounted NV once you hit about minimum on these 3 measured parameters ~~ 30 SN, Photo Response 2,000, Gain 65,000, LP 64/mm and a maximum value of 1.5 on EBI and 1.5 on Halo. Anything better than that comes at a maximum cost to performance benifit ratio that is a LUXURY way more than an actual practical performance increase in dark places.

High ambient lighting conditions (think full or quarter moon to artificial lights from city skyglow, street light ets) that is available in a NV setting pretty much makes lesser spec toobs just as good as the best toobs. When it gets really dark and you have to make real world decisions an IR illuminator is required for any NV toob that has the minimum specs I listed above all the way up to the SUPER TOOBS.

IR Illuminators makes ALL TOOBS pretty much equal.

I find 3x and 5x NV magnifiers extremely useful for long range PID in a lot of situations especially when I want to see detail that Thermal and 1x NV just cannot provide.

These ole boys kinda explain in this video why SUPER TOOBS arnt really that necessary. I'd rather have a Omni VII spec'd PVS 7 with a PAS 29 COTI on it than a top Spec PVS 31A.

Reactions: 1911hombre
Top models of any PVS-14 or any Gen 3 NV (assuming good quality glass on objective and oclar) is not necessary for head mounted NV once you hit about minimum on these 3 measured parameters ~~ 30 SN, Photo Response 2,000, Gain 65,000, LP 64/mm and a maximum value of 1.5 on EBI and 1.5 on Halo. Anything better than that comes at a maximum cost to performance benifit ratio that is a LUXURY way more than an actual practical performance increase in dark places.

High ambient lighting conditions (think full or quarter moon to artificial lights from city skyglow, street light ets) that is available in a NV setting pretty much makes lesser spec toobs just as good as the best toobs. When it gets really dark and you have to make real world decisions an IR illuminator is required for any NV toob that has the minimum specs I listed above all the way up to the SUPER TOOBS.

IR Illuminators makes ALL TOOBS pretty much equal.

I find 3x and 5x NV magnifiers extremely useful for long range PID in a lot of situations especially when I want to see detail that Thermal and 1x NV just cannot provide.

These ole boys kinda explain in this video why SUPER TOOBS arnt really that necessary. I'd rather have a Omni VII spec'd PVS 7 with a PAS 29 COTI on it than a top Spec PVS 31A.

I'd have to check the specs on my tube, but I'm pretty happy with it, I got it just before super gain came out and I don't plan to try and go to that. I have seen flannel daddy's video and I am well aware that if you don't have thermal, you're gonna die hahahaha. I wonder how this ST6 compares to the sidekick.

flannel daddy's video and I am well aware that if you don't have thermal, you're gonna die hahahaha. I wonder how this ST6 compares to the sidekick.
Flannel daddy, :ROFLMAO: "boyz ya gonna get kilt in the streetzz's":oops:

ST6 got MO LENS and MO focal lenght which = significantly less FOV which means longer range spotter.

Sidekick 640 and ST6 640 are different critters so not an apples to apples comparision. Both got they place.

Reactions: hmjgriffon