• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes pvs/22 vs. thermal scope

camelback

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2006
ky
want to know which one would you chose pro/cons would be using for hog hunting

Re: pvs/22 vs. thermal scope

Idk which thermal yur talking about but the new Knights UNS is amazing. Was shooting movers at 600 in training with them and you could see the target as plain as day. Its very high quality stuff. Ive used alot of different thermals but the clarity and resolution just isnt on par. Thermals arent worth it in my opinion. Plus they dont have the range unless the climate is just right.

I would go with NV. A UNS would be best or a pvs 14 with a decent IR laser.

A lot is based on range and what environment it is I am hunting. NV still wins for best resolution and the hybrid systems are still a few years away, BUT the new ITT enhanced goggle is pretty close. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=282605 Unfortunately, bout 40K and only to Mil. With that said, if I am hunting mostly in brush, high grass etc. were critters either were either blending in or hiding a bit, the thermal is the clear winner here. A most recent example is one of customers was hunting hogs near a river bead in Texas and until he used his first piece of thermal (A TAM-14 monocular in this case) he was shocked to see the amount of hogs he had never seen in this area of high grass. He could always hear them, but never see them with his NODS. Now in semi open areas or longer range, I feel a NOD is the way to go for the best recognition possible. This is important for LE work, for closer range where a NOD can give you MUCH better facial recognition vs. a thermal unit. Both technologies have their place, but first decide what your environment dictates. If you can afford it, of course get both. Hope this helps.

Vic

Thermal for detection and engagement. Passive IR/Image Intensification for identification of people.

Fused night vision for human targets (real bad guys).

Try the Ernst Leitz/ELCAN.

Rod Pinkston's Jagerpro.com Georgia hog-hunting guide service has a bunch of youtube hog-slaying video posted.

Rod is the retired NCOIC of the US Army Marksmanship Unit Shotgun Team. He runs his guide service using .308 Win BAR IIs with thermals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ITT ENVG spec sheet

http://www.nightvision.com/products/military/product_pages/documents/ENVG.pdf

WOW! </div></div>

That is F-ing bad ass! I am glad to know these guys are developing products for the good guys. At least initially.

If one were so inclined, you could decimate some hogs. Or anything else that hides in the darkness.

Buy a NV scope and have a friend buy a thermal scope(that way they can spend the big bucks LOL). I have a D740 NV scope and a buddy has a Thermal (not sure what make or model), and they work very well together. At 200 yards he can tell something is out there in the tall grass or tree line, but I can identify it - he tells me where to look and I can say shoot or no shoot.

We shot at a big group of hogs one time. After all the brass had settled, the hogs had covered an area about 150 yards long, and 75 yards wide before they got to the trees. The grass was fairly tall at the time, so it would have been difficult to find out actually how many we had put down without the thermal. The bright white spots in his scope told us exactly where they were.

Depends on the terrain, some conditions (temp and moisture), and distance.

Open fields, NV.
Open fields with light cover (not too thick grass), Thermal (to locate)(temps under 90 degrees) and NV.
Heavy five foot tall thick wet grass, can't see shit with either unless you are 25 yards and under.

Open park type woods, Thermal to locate (temps under 90 degrees), and NV.
Thick woods, white light.

Equipment used:
Thermal:
name brand FLIR... www. flir. com
NV:
UNS PVS 22 and UNS PVS 27.
Litton PVS 14, Gen 3+