• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision PVS-24-Through the tube pictures?

mikefraz

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2013
Have been researching NV clip-ons recently and am interested in the PVS-24 to pair up with my TA02 ACOG. There’s a decent amount of forum discussion about the PSV-24, especially on here, but it’s very hard to find any “through the tube” pictures. I’m mainly just looking at what to expect as far as clarity and light gathering abilities.

Though, I’d love to see it used in tandem with an ACOG, I’ll take pretty much any through the tube pictures at this point. Anyone care to help?

I'll scrounge-up my 24 and slap it on in front of an ACOG ECOS (green crosshair).

696328D1-8722-4F75-8B7E-B813D4BC170F.jpeg

ETA: We’re in luck! Tonight is a New Moon! No Lunar illumination assist, baybee!!!

Last edited:
I am also looking to dip into the NV world. I am also looking for something to mount in front of an ACOG. I appreciate any photos of the setup and view through the optics.

Holy CRAP! Taking photos through an ACOG with a handheld phone SUCKS (maybe it's just me that sucks).

I tried to use my "universal" phone mount, but the RMR makes it just slightly too large to get around to clamp down.

I will say that, at least with the ARD in place, I wasn't all that impressed. It was OK, but I was seeing some outer-third blurring of the image circle. Also, with PITCH BLACK / ZERO moon, things were pretty damn dark. Supplemental illumination is definitely required.

No wonder I switched to all-thermal years ago.

Can you give me some details on your picture? What magnification are you on in this picture? What distance (estimate)? What were the lighting conditions? What tube specs do you have? Just trying to gauge what the average is vs what you have.

I thought that WP units weren’t available from L3 to non-mil/leo.

It's a filmless white 24LR (not regular ole 24) with 2376 min FOM.

Distance is about 550~ yards to the base of the tree. No idea what magnification I was on, but probably something around 6x.

Lighting .. you can sort of see the moon glowing through the clouds at the top of the picture. I remember the night as about 50% coverage and I can't say if that pic was taken in full exposure or not. My guess would be full moon exposure. Zero IR supplemental light needed.

It's a filmless white 24LR (not regular ole 24) with 2376 min FOM.

Distance is about 550~ yards to the base of the tree. No idea what magnification I was on, but probably something around 6x.

Lighting .. you can sort of see the moon glowing through the clouds at the top of the picture. I remember the night as about 50% coverage and I can't say if that pic was taken in full exposure or not. My guess would be full moon exposure. Zero IR supplemental light needed.
Thanks for the specs.
Anyone else have any through the tube pictures? Skyscrapin’s tube is really nice, but not the average tube in most units.

Here is my Best of Suck iPhone TTL ACOG/24 Faux Toe from last night. Will try again.

FYI, the illumination you see at the intersection is >200 yards away and is from what I’d estimate as a ~50w porch light. We’re in rural Cowtown Alabama. Zero street lights anywhere and moonless night as thick as spent motor oil.

486DAF06-DBEF-402D-835D-23DAC0D72159.jpeg

This is the full monster pic for download eval.

I’ll try to take a few seconds of video.

Video I just shot. Still sucks, but better.

4x ACOG + PVS-24

Video I just shot. Still sucks, but better.

4x ACOG + PVS-24

Would you say that the picture/video is a good representation of what your eye’s see?
I’d love to just rent/borrow one, but it doesn’t look like any of the rental websites offer one and none of my friends are into NV. I fear that there’s no substitute for just looking through it with my own eyes, the the pictures have been very helpful.

Would you say that the picture/video is a good representation of what your eye’s see?
I’d love to just rent/borrow one, but it doesn’t look like any of the rental websites offer one and none of my friends are into NV. I fear that there’s no substitute for just looking through it with my own eyes, the the pictures have been very helpful.

It’s definitely brighter looking TTL. The iPhone is autoadjusting the shutter making it look dark.

Was looking into a COTI and noticed that under the “optional mounting accessories” part of the description, it listed that it was adaptable to a PVS-24, among others. One thing I’m having trouble visualizing is how the thermal image would look when used with a magnified optic. The view through the PVS-24 works with a magnified optic works because the NV tube is analog so there’s no digital projection. Wouldn’t the COTI image be 4x larger than it should be if using a 4x optic? Or am I thinking about this wrong? I’ve never seen a COTI used in conjunction with any NV clip-on, so perhaps there may be a reason why that is. Anyone who has both care to explain?

It seems like the thermal image. would be pre magnification, so it would be "correct" size, but it would probably just appear as a blob, and destroy any chance of PID.

Sorry brother it completely slipped my mind. I’ll get some today!
No problem. Thanks for taking the time to get the pictures. Hopefully it’ll help others as well.

It seems like the thermal image. would be pre magnification, so it would be "correct" size, but it would probably just appear as a blob, and destroy any chance of PID.
Interesting. Thanks for the answer.

I can get pics through different mags tonight. I currently only have pics at 416 yards through a 10x magnification so the image isn’t the best. Pm’ing you those now though.
If you’re taking requests, 4x magnification would be the most helpful. I also would be using it about 250 yards and in.

The SWEET spot for the 24's has always been fantastic at 4x and designed basically for the SOPMOD program with the ACOG.
The “through the tube” pictures for the PVS-24 on the TNVC website are probably the best available that I could find as far as showing the clarity. Is that normal for the average PVS-24? Or is that a super tube? It also seemed like the pictures were all taken with significant if not direct light, so that doesn’t give much info on low light performance. Still very helpful though.

Bud. Tomorrow is Friday and nothing & I mean nothing will stop me from getting pics. Unfortunately tonight is a no go . Just thought I’d give ya an update.
Right. Uh huh. Haha.
No biggy man. Whenever you get around to it is fine.

Reactions: Eliteuas
How much ambient light is there in those pics. Looks like maybe just before it got dark.

Yes WP LR unit. As it seems with most phone NV pics it does look better and clearer in person. The " greener" pics are from the gain not being turned up high. Sorry was exited with the new unit. See OP was looking for std unit not LR.

Yes WP LR unit. As it seems with most phone NV pics it does look better and clearer in person. The " greener" pics are from the gain not being turned up high. Sorry was exited with the new unit. See OP was looking for std unit not LR.
I’ll take any through the tube pictures that I can get. Thank you for your contribution.

Felipe, do you know what the spec range is on the KAC WP and high FOM WP? Wondering what the extra $2200 gets.