• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision PVS-4 gamble might be a bust

Mike308Bell

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Georgia, USA
Hello folks,

last month I took a gamble when came across a PVS4 gen 2 and I should have found out more before I bought it.

I told the guy I wanted it for hog hunting and he said it was ready to go, mounts on an AR.

Well when he brought it to me, I knew it was going to be a problem, but I wanted it anyway if nothing else to play with and maybe find what I wanted later.

Well the problem is.....it has a camera lens on the front half...not the objective lens with the cross hairs.
shocked.gif
Any idea were I can find an objective lens wwith the 308 retecile?....Or Is there a way I can mount it infront of my Leupold Mrk4 CQ/T ???? Im shooting a Remington R25 in 308 and im going after hogs.

Re: PVS-4 gamble might be a bust

Are you sure it's a PVS-4 at all? I don't think any of them take a camera lens.

Can you take a photograph of it and post it?

It might just be a tube that the PVS-4 uses in a normal housing.

David.

eek.gif
....no Im not sure because theres no paper work with it. Ive been looking on the net and thats what it looks like. but it does have a camera lens, not sure what mount it is but it does not fit on my minolta. It has the M16 hand gaurd mount on the bottom. If I can get a flat top picatiney mount I might be able to mount it infront of my scope.

pvs4.jpg

pvs42.jpg

I have never seen that style of adapter. I have a spare PVS-4 front lens I can sell you. It has the .223 reticule but they are easy to change and sold at some surplus places.

I would love to see the tube inside if you can pull it and take some photos for us. The Eyepiece unscrews and the tube sits underneath it.

Some tubes are purpose built for one system. I don't want to sell you a lens that will not work. We really need to know what tube is inside to help you.

Yep, would recommend Omegaman's front lens. That will hopefully fix it.

You do seem to have the reticle power supply section so that's good news
smile.gif

As for mounts? Get a 2-lever LaRue ACOG mount and modify it for a 1/4" 20TPI screw
smile.gif
That should work fine
smile.gif

Regards
David

Very sharp David and I did not notice that at first. You have the knobs for reticule brightness which is a good thing. Many surveillance scopes lacked that and just had a cover plate. Most likely would work just fine as a PVS-4. Looks like you only need the front lens. Still like to see pics of the tube if you can post them.

American Surplus in Houston has had PVS-5 reticles , i.e. mildot crosshairs . They also have other night-vision related stuff ...

Thats a 25mm Litton IIT from the mid 90's but I can't find records on the Photocathode. Can you photograph the top part there without a flash and in bright light so that you capture the color?

Although a description would be fine. Is it light or dark blue? Or brown?

But it does look like a fiber plate, so probably will work OK with Omegaman's lens
smile.gif

Regards
David

Not sure if this is good enough, I took this when I had it apart. It does apear dark blue to me. If its not good enough I'll get another one tomorrow.

231.jpg

Nice tube. looks like it has been very lightly used. It is your normal Gen 2. All you need is the PVS-4 front lens and you are good to go.

Just remove your front lens and adapter and bolt up the PVS-4 front lens. I have a very nice front lens in great shape. Send me a PM if you are interested.

They never do. Night vision is always OPSEC. If they knew what the stuff costs none of us would have it !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OmegaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They never do. Night vision is always OPSEC. If they knew what the stuff costs none of us would have it ! </div></div>

They key is to take them to the jewelry store shortly before or thereafter....

But wait, we cannot afford both!
cry.gif

Look, the following information is ITAR restricted. If our enemies knew this, they would be able to sneak a whole lot more past the treasury.

How to address the inevitable discovery of your "Night Vision Stash".

Wife/SO: "What's that?"
Appropriate Response: "It's an 18mm photocathode based image intensifier that converts photonic content to electrons through the photoelectric effect in the presence of a high intensity electrostatic field that increases the kinetic energy of the electronis before they... Oh... You're making that not interested face aren't you."

Wife/SO: "How much did that cost?"
Appropriate Response: "About as much as a new dress".

Wife/SO: "You're going to send that back."
Appropriate Response: "Bwaaaaaaaaa, Waaaaaah." ( Add tears for extra effect ).

Wife/SO: "You know, I read these lines over your shoulder. I know what you're trying to do."
Appropriate Response: There is none. You're sprung. Best advice is a solid confession. Of everything. Including fancying her sister over her. Even if she doesn't have a sister. It will throw her off the trail and you might be able to keep your night vision gear.

And finally, if you're caught with a Thermal.
Wife/SO: "What's that?"
Appropriate Response: "It's a thermal camera. It will make you look hot."
smile.gif

And when she realizes you're not lying, you'll get away with that last one
smile.gif

JUST don't mention "Like 98.6 degrees hot" - at least not while she's within earshot.

David

Not to jack the thread but is there anything you can tell me about this tube?

DSC_0125-2.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

Also... whats the best way to get it back in correctly??! LOL..
and one last thing, how do you change the reticle module?

Any and all help would be appreciated guys. Have had one for about 5 years now just sitting and never use it. Bought the SWAN pic rail attachemnt for it and that's still NIB

Any good web sources for the PVS 4?

thanks in andvance and sorry to get side tracked in the thread

It is a Litton milspec Gen 2 tube under the Omni II contract. Most likely made late 80;s early 90's. Make sure you have all dust and debris off the tube and inside of the scope. Align the pins and slide the tube in until the pins seat. Screw the focus collar all the way down till snug. make sure it threads even as they are easy to strip. Assuming you have not changed anything else it should be all you need to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to jack the thread but is there anything you can tell me about this tube?
</div></div>
MX9644/UV
US made 25mm inverter tube, specs approx
Gain 40,000 to 70,000
Photocathode 240 uA/lm
S/N ~ 3:1
Res: 32 lp/mm

If you PM me your email, I'll send you the datasheet.

To refit:

You remove the lock ring and screw it in ( at night ) until the stars focus as pinpoints. Then you go just a touch ( maybe 15 degrees - not quite enough to make the stars into donuts again ) past this and fit the lock-ring back so it doesn't go any further.

The change the reticle module:

Unscrew the cover and remove. If you PM me your email, I'll send you the technical manual as well ( I assume you're in the US/AUS/UK - please confirm )

Happy to answer all ( well, most ) of your PVS-4 questions.

Regards
David