• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision PVS14 behind vectronix range finder?

mcmillanman5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2007
Blackfoot, ID
So I picked up one of the Vectronix Plrf05's from the group buy here. The manual shows a night vision setting for using a pvs14 behind it. I decided to give it a try but on the night vision setting it was pretty well impossible to see the reticle in order to range something. Also when the range finder was used even fired up into the air not on a reflective target there is an extremely bright flash when viewed with a 14 behind the LRF (not sure if its the reticle flashing or the actual laser). The laser emitted from the range finder is not really very bright if viewed independently from a 14 so that leads me to think it may be the reticle.

(ETA: I just covered up the objective end on the LRF completely and the bright flash is still present when the pvs14 is placed behind the range finder which would indicate to me that the reticle is causing the problem.)

Is it unrealistic to think that it would be possible to use the 14 along with the plrf?
Has anyone tried to mount a pvs14 behind one of the vectronix laser range finders with any success?

Also on a side note I have been really impressed with the normal function of this LRF just not the night setting so far.

Re: PVS14 behind vectronix range finder?

Did you set the Vectronix to NV mode...

If not it will bloom in the PVS 14...

The "flash" is the NV picking up the laser. Its normal I see it when I use the Mark VII military laser. It has a built in NV mode for lasing at night

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M25BeastShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "flash" is the NV picking up the laser. Its normal I see it when I use the Mark VII military laser. It has a built in NV mode for lasing at night </div></div>

Yeah that is what I thought at first too but when I covered up the end of the viewfinder on the LRF so that no external light or laser could be seen the bright flash is still there. That has got to be from the reticle since it can't be coming from somewhere else.

I can't speak for the 05, but the PLRF's and Vectors work just fine with the PVS-14. You can see a litle pulse from the laser on the 10's, but the 15's or Vector IV and up are 1660nm, and so invisible to the NVG's. If night mode is properly set, you should not be able to see the reticle or readout at all without the NVG. If you can, night mode is not actually the retained setting.

Thanks for the reply Cory! When set to night mode there is a difference in brightness between day mode however it is possible to see the reticle and readout with the naked eye and is still quite bright.

I am supposed to hear back from someone at vectronix tomorrow. I appreciate everyones thoughts and comments.

I'd guess then that the 'night' mode on the 05 is not intended for NVG use, but just to dim the display for normal viewing. If you can see it in daylight, it's much too bright for the NVG to use.

Yeah I don't know... It shows in the manual that it has the night setting for use with the 14 but it sure did not seem to work. I will post back what I find out.

Just got off the phone with PRG... They said that even though the terrapin does have a "night setting" it is not really night vision compatible so Cory is correct. This would make sense because even with the gain turned all the way down on my 14 the rangefinder is still too bright to use.

Just wanted to add that this is still a great rangefinder despite the discrepancy with the night setting.

That's what I thought. It's just a dimmer switch setting you you don't get wwashed out at dawn/dusk. The 10/15/25 and Vectors are set for NVG usage.