• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision PVS30 tips, tricks, and technique

Jared91

Night stalker
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2012
Houston TX
Howdy folks, I know I’m not the only one who employs the use of the PVS30 on their rifles. I use mine to shoot pigs and other predators at night. What are some tips and tricks you have learned that has made your life easier when using yours? I’d like to compile a thread so that those that are new to clip on nvgs can have a good baseline. Pictures of your rig are a bonus point, too. I’ll start with something that I’ve noticed;

When you first power your unit on, leave the lens cover on, and turn the gain knob all the way down to its dimmest setting. Remove your lens cover, then slowly dial it back up, just to where you can clearly see what you should be observing. This will reduce noise. Having a day time optic with 34mm tube or greater, and great low light performance will definitely make your experience that much better.

Here’s what I run mine on-

Attachments

• ED7D228E-C9B8-4D48-9D4B-F283D82E98DD.jpeg
    ED7D228E-C9B8-4D48-9D4B-F283D82E98DD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 693
  • 55EA5519-C84B-457C-85D0-D98AD3BDD5B4.jpeg
    55EA5519-C84B-457C-85D0-D98AD3BDD5B4.jpeg
    552.4 KB · Views: 359
  • 5331F7C8-CED1-4B64-8B65-0C833AB643FF.jpeg
    5331F7C8-CED1-4B64-8B65-0C833AB643FF.jpeg
    616 KB · Views: 288
  • D55DF92D-603E-4DDD-AE6F-7F6B50138934.jpeg
    D55DF92D-603E-4DDD-AE6F-7F6B50138934.jpeg
    673.6 KB · Views: 324
  • A8DCAED8-D0DE-4745-A69B-14F32A4C71EE.jpeg
    A8DCAED8-D0DE-4745-A69B-14F32A4C71EE.jpeg
    728.6 KB · Views: 462
  • 9516DA0F-C6E1-4E22-86F9-A2D8CD666CDD.jpeg
    9516DA0F-C6E1-4E22-86F9-A2D8CD666CDD.jpeg
    576.1 KB · Views: 359
get a better collimation capable illuminator and you will get much better performance and capability from your setup.

Reactions: upSLIDEdown
grab one of the extended levers for the focus and a decent IR illuminator... only tip.

the other stuff is what it is and the units just work....go shoot it with or without the light cover, high gain or not. Just my .02, which is only worth .01

Then go get a 2124LR !

Reactions: stefan73
The focusing is the one real thing that sucks with the 30.

Laying behind it and having to get to the large focus ring is fucking impossible.
I felt like I was going to blow my shoulder out focusing, so I eventually went to a 27.

Reactions: TheHorta
It only weighs 2.9lbs you bunch of fatties.

CNVD-LR is only like 1/2lb lighter.

You guys could lose that much weight by not bringing those 3-4 double cheeseburgers along in your mag pouch.

Ahhhh... it’s called “Tactical Snacking” bruh.

Do you even operate?

Maybe a newb question but the PVS 30 is autogated correct? For instance I'm not going to hurt anything if I get some distant lights in my field of view?

Reactions: Joshf303
I too have found that setting the parallax to infinity does not usually achieve optimal focus on the target. This had been the case with 27s, 30s, KN203s and AN/PAS-13G. 27s and KN203s are by FAR the easiest to focus in position.

Out of curiosity, how is a 34mm scope tube beneficial in specifically this application?

I too have found that setting the parallax to infinity does not usually achieve optimal focus on the target. This had been the case with 27s, 30s, KN203s and AN/PAS-13G. 27s and KN203s are by FAR the easiest to focus in position.

Out of curiosity, how is a 34mm scope tube beneficial in specifically this application? 34mm is gonna transmit light a little better over 30mm tubes.

I just received my PVS-30 3D/Metal Focus Throw from Tyler & Adam at MK Machining...Perfect! Exactly the fix I needed for the reach problem...I love it!

Outstanding Job!

Reactions: SneakyDingo1
Here’s a neoprene place. I bet you could get them to send you some Tan 8-10” samples for free and have a tailor shop sew some Tan/FDE Velcro on for you

Are any of you shooting distant targets with a hit indicator light through your PVS 30?

I'm guessing since the PVS30 is autogated, this momentary distant red flashing light shouldn't cause harm?

Are any of you shooting distant targets with a hit indicator light through your PVS 30?

I'm guessing since the PVS30 is autogated, this momentary distant red flashing light shouldn't cause harm?
It’s not a laser, so it should be just fine.

Guess there is one way to find out haha. I actually tried this the other night and from the couple impacts I made with the indicator light things seemed to go okay.

Shouldn't be a problem.

What light are you using? I've seen a few at 800 down at Arena but I didn't think it was overly reliable.

Will IR laser light reflecting off a close in target/berm/object mess up NV optics?

Will IR laser light reflecting off a close in target/berm/object mess up NV optics?
I would be more worried about loosing your vision. FP IR lasers have the capability to blind you. A laser safety warning was put out when I was in Iraq because a guy blinded himself by accidently bouncing a laser off a mirror back into his eye.

Reactions: Huskydriver
In all honesty a <0.7mw laser is plenty powerful for me and the distances I shoot. The illuminator however sucks if it's a .civ unit. A luna is perfect for a clip on, just be careful.

Reactions: stefan73
Thanks. I have a Dbal D2 for longer range, and a Streamlight VIR II for close-in when just using my PVS-14.

Guess there is one way to find out haha. I actually tried this the other night and from the couple impacts I made with the indicator light things seemed to go okay.

Shouldn't be a problem.

What light are you using? I've seen a few at 800 down at Arena but I didn't think it was overly reliable.

If you're talking my hit indicator light, I'm running the magneato speed T1000 gen 2 I think it is. It's worked great for me.

I'll pimp my video from the other night. Shooting 715 yds, you can see the hit indicator light a second or so after each shot in the distance.

Youtube- SR25 at night

I'm running the magneato speed T1000 gen 2
OK your video sold me.... Where did you buy it from? Thanks!

MK Machining (Hide Vendor) sells them too.

Reactions: m1ajunkie
Is there a standard good scope people pair with PVS-30? I'm moving from shooting with thermal to scan with thermal and shoot with NV. Actually bought a pvs-14 from JRH (Lowdown3) recently and bought a PVS-30 off a hide member here. Will be mainly keeping it on an AR-10 for hunting hogs/coyote if that matters. Leaning towards the NF NX8 2.5-20 right now.

Anything with good glass should work just fine. You will likely not get more than 15x out the PVS30 anyway. I would recommend FFP if possible though so you can still use accurate holdovers if desired.

Reactions: Lowdown3
I buy into the theory that the bigger the tube, the better, due to light transfer and such. Leupy’s with 34/35mm tubes, Nightforce’s with 34mm tubes, S&B’s, etc

I buy into the theory that the bigger the tube, the better, due to light transfer and such. Leupy’s with 34/35mm tubes, Nightforce’s with 34mm tubes, S&B’s, etc

I do with low light shooting, but not with NV shooting. There is a gain on the NV optic so more light is really kind of a non-issue IMO.

It's not true w/r/t any scope.

Is there a standard good scope people pair with PVS-30? I'm moving from shooting with thermal to scan with thermal and shoot with NV. Actually bought a pvs-14 from JRH (Lowdown3) recently and bought a PVS-30 off a hide member here. Will be mainly keeping it on an AR-10 for hunting hogs/coyote if that matters. Leaning towards the NF NX8 2.5-20 right now.
Solid choice. I've run a 4-14 SHV for a while now (before NX8s came about) and it's been great.