• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PWS MK218 6.5 Creedmoor buffer setup?

Aaron Bachman

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2022
MD
I have one and it’s a tack driver, and I’d like to use it for long range competition. I think it’s limiting factor is definitely me, but what could help me is softening up the recoil impulse for follow on shots. I’m limited somewhat in options due to the proprietary parts of the rifle and its system, but there’s still plenty to work with. It has an adjustable gas block, and I shoot it suppressed with a Huxwux can. I have a Magpul gen 3 PRS stock on it, and I believe I can put whatever length buffer tube I want with it. I don’t really care about cost, I just want to squeeze as much out of this rifle as I can. What spring/weight/length/system would you recommend or suggest I start with? Thanks for your time.

If JP parts will work on that platform a silent captured spring and variable mass carrier can offer you nearly endless tuning.

I don't think the jp is the way to go.

Just play with buffer weight, then adjust the gas as needed to tweak it. Keep it simple.

You could change to a brake to reduce recoil more but that circumvents the can.

You could run 130 gr bullets, but you probably want to run heavies for long range since it's a creedmore.

I cant imagine that thing recoils hardly at all, it should shoot pretty soft as is, no?

If it'll work, yes. You are able to adjust both the spring weights and the weights themselves plus it's a lot smoother feeling during manual cycling and no spring noise/vibration during the recoil cycle. I'd call JP on compatibility with your system first.

I don't think the jp is the way to go.

Just play with buffer weight, then adjust the gas as needed to tweak it. Keep it simple.

You could change to a brake to reduce recoil more but that circumvents the can.

You could run 130 gr bullets, but you probably want to run heavies for long range since it's a creedmore.

I cant imagine that thing recoils hardly at all, it should shoot pretty soft as is, no?
Playing with the buffer weights was the idea. I’m asking if I should dabble in the rifle length, A5, or carbine length tubes, and if anyone has a head start on ideas for spring choice and buffer weights. Captured systems, hydraulic buffers, I’m open to ideas and hopefully someone who has a formula that worked really well for them.

It doesn’t recoil hard, but it does jump enough that it’s slowing me down between shots. Just trying to optimize the system here, not reinvent the wheel. It can be done, and I’ll dive into multiple configurations if I have to.

Reactions: mettee
Playing with the buffer weights was the idea. I’m asking if I should dabble in the rifle length, A5, or carbine length tubes, and if anyone has a head start on ideas for spring choice and buffer weights. Captured systems, hydraulic buffers, I’m open to ideas and hopefully someone who has a formula that worked really well for them.

It doesn’t recoil hard, but it does jump enough that it’s slowing me down between shots. Just trying to optimize the system here, not reinvent the wheel. It can be done, and I’ll dive into multiple configurations if I have to.

You could change to A5 length with a 3.250" Buffer, make sure to run the armalite 308 rifle length spring($15), and then adjust buffer weight as needed. You want to reduce peak carrier speed without going too far. You are suppressed so more weight than normal typically works; depending on your gas adjustment you might not need an over abundance of buffer weight but you could try it.

If you have a rifle length receiver extension now, that's not bad and doesn't necessarily need to be swapped unless you need it shorter or want a collapsible stock. If you keep that just play with the next two or three weights up from H2.

You can buy tungsten weight sets for $40 I believe.

In his post he says that he changed over to a magpul PRS so perhaps it's the rifle length tube. An A2 buffer, an armalite spring and then adjust the gas system properly will be about the best you can possibly get. Or ask PWS what they think its possible they have some ideas.

Like I said a couple posts above (if you haven't tried it yet) I'd run 123gr bullets and experiment with different powders and charges. I've found that powder type and bullet choice can make a huge difference with 308 ARs and felt recoil etc.

You could try the heavy rifle buffer from Slash with a Tubbs flat spring since you must have a rifle length extension already with that PRS.

Reactions: XP1K
I think the Tubbs will create more closing force going into battery, I don't think he needs the Tubbs based on the OPs feedback.

"Standard buffer spring load
Bolt in battery: 7.2 lbs
Bolt locked open: 16.5 lbs

Standard buffer spring variation: 7.5 lbs
Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Spring
Bolt in battery: 11.1 lbs
Bolt locked open: 15.0 lbs"

Slash does not suggest the use of the Tubbs spring with his buffers. He suggests the basic 308 rifle length spring with either rifle extension or A5(7-5/8" internal) extension with the appropriate buffer length.

The Tubbs extra lock up force creates the dipping effect that people talk about when paired with more heavy buffers. The heavy sprinco springs do the same.

It works for me with an Armalite BCG, SA AGB, and suppressor on a .260, YMMV. And I actually run his XH rifle buffer.

If you go with a rifle length receiver extension, I would look into a Knight's M110 rifle buffer and matching spring. Typical rifle length buffers have a spring stop collar on the body of the buffer, a couple inches down from the head. The KAC uses the head as a spring stop, like a carbine or A5 buffer. The matching spring is longer than any conventional round wire spring that I know of, this allows more spring travel and changes the spring rate. I don't believe that it would work with a Tubb's Flatwire or any other spring. The buffer is around 4.6 oz, so you would have to swap weights if you needed heavier.

Reactions: Aaron Bachman
There’s what I was looking for. Thank you gentlemen. It still has the factory carbine buffer tube, but I’m not opposed to changing it. I have a Huxwux free flow suppressor so I’m not speeding the carrier speed up at all. I like the Knight’s M110 idea, I hadn’t considered it and it makes a lot of sense. I’m also not familiar with the Slash buffers so I’m going to look there also.

There’s what I was looking for. Thank you gentlemen. It still has the factory carbine buffer tube, but I’m not opposed to changing it. I have a Huxwux free flow suppressor so I’m not speeding the carrier speed up at all. I like the Knight’s M110 idea, I hadn’t considered it and it makes a lot of sense. I’m also not familiar with the Slash buffers so I’m going to look there also.
If you change out the RE to an A1/A2, finding the good ones can be a crap shoot these days.

I fought this battle with my mk216 in 308. The gun never gave me a lick of trouble in stock trim. Until I put a SiCo omega on the end of it.

I tried a lot of different combinations with the factory carbine buffer tube, including the xh carbine from slash but it just never really did it for me. The gun always had a sharp jabby recoil pulse to it suppressed, it was hard on cases, and it still kicked empties 1-1:30

I went with an lmt a5 length tube, tubbs flatwire, and a home made custom buffer that was over 10oz. Gun shot good, had a good ejection pattern, and the recoil softened up again but it was just heavy.

I threw the H2 out of my mk116 in it and the ejection moved forward a little, in the 2:30 range, but it still shot great and recoil was still pleasant.

If I had a rifle length extension I'd run the Tubbs and probably a buffer in the 4.5-6oz range. I still want to try the kynshot buffer but right now it works.

Pws should have made the gas ports on these rifles smaller. Good luck.

I really like the idea of the KAC buffer and the special spring but I cringe at the price and with parts becoming unobtainable once that spring wears out.

I think bang for the buck is swapping the carbine extension to an A5 and using that inexpensive armalite 308 rifle spring with which ever 3.25" buffer you choose(weight). The slash is heavy as it comes, but can be adjusted down.

Send slash an email and discuss it with him, tell him the application, chances are he has already done it.

You have a flow through can, so like I said you won't need as much buffer weight. I run a high back pressure can so I use the whole weight as slash sends it: to give you comparison.

I fought this battle with my mk216 in 308. The gun never gave me a lick of trouble in stock trim. Until I put a SiCo omega on the end of it.

I tried a lot of different combinations with the factory carbine buffer tube, including the xh carbine from slash but it just never really did it for me. The gun always had a sharp jabby recoil pulse to it suppressed, it was hard on cases, and it still kicked empties 1-1:30

I went with an lmt a5 length tube, tubbs flatwire, and a home made custom buffer that was over 10oz. Gun shot good, had a good ejection pattern, and the recoil softened up again but it was just heavy.

I threw the H2 out of my mk116 in it and the ejection moved forward a little, in the 2:30 range, but it still shot great and recoil was still pleasant.

If I had a rifle length extension I'd run the Tubbs and probably a buffer in the 4.5-6oz range. I still want to try the kynshot buffer but right now it works.

Pws should have made the gas ports on these rifles smaller. Good luck.
Good feedback, I’m bummed for you that you weren’t able to find that sweet spot. I’ll hopefully remember to come back with results if I find something worthwhile.
I really like the idea of the KAC buffer and the special spring but I cringe at the price and with parts becoming unobtainable once that spring wears out.

I think bang for the buck is swapping the carbine extension to an A5 and using that inexpensive armalite 308 rifle spring with which ever 3.25" buffer you choose(weight). The slash is heavy as it comes, but can be adjusted down.

Send slash an email and discuss it with him, tell him the application, chances are he has already done it.

You have a flow through can, so like I said you won't need as much buffer weight. I run a high back pressure can so I use the whole weight as slash sends it: to give you comparison.
I’ll reach out to Slash. I was thinking the same thing you are with the A5, and working it from there. We’ll see what he says and what PWS thinks too.

Reactions: mettee