• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PWS opinion

I mean...there are just so many better options for the price, and plenty have FAs. Not sure why you'd go piston long or short when reliable AGBs exist now.

I ran one of their long stroke piston uppers on an SBR lower years ago with great results. There are many piston operated AR10 patterned rifles out there so go after the features you want. In that price range you may want to look at POF, Barrett (not a piston gun) or LWRC (higher price). Sig makes a piston gasser as well. The PWS is pushing 9 pounds naked. Not horrible but realize what you'll have when you glass it and add accessories. That might play into the decision if you're humping this thing around.

I have a PWS Mk220 and and the Mk118 .223, both are very accurate and reliable. Noticeably heavier than DI gassers, but they do run a lot cleaner.

Forward Assist? I've never needed one.
If the round won't chamber, stop! Don't force it and jam it worse with the forward assist, there's something wrong.

Last edited:
I have an SR25 and I love it. The can they make for it, the QDC, it's really nice. It's more than the one you have in the link there though. I agree with looking at the other brands for the price, lots of people love the LWRC Reaper, only hear good about 'em. I don't know much about the others only to say the first DPMS LRR's back in 2003 sucked ass, period, so I do know what a shitty one feels like.

I'm not a piston guy but I'm guessing you're thinking about gas in the face, yeah? The PRI charging handles work pretty well. The KAC rifle isn't that bad anyway, it's not as bad as the small frames for sure. But a short stroke piston is cleaner. I guess were I to get one with a piston, I'd get an SCAR though, maybe one of the new precision ones, people are saying they print tight groups --that'd be a nice investment and surely fit the bill.

DI isn't necessary on the large frame. It never was designed with one. The FA is a 5.56 item since the BCG doesn't have as much mass as the 7.62. It'll always lock up fine since the BCG is massive on those. I know what you mean though, I was a big FA guy too until I read the facts on the SR25, which Stoner himself designed. And when you think about it, it's all in your head really, no other rifle like that has one, not the FAL or H

JP Ent. is another mfg. of very nice rifles. HK's are nice but I don't think their products are worth what they charge, more than an SR25. Larue supposedly makes a nice one, didn't wanna wait a year on one back during one of the Obama rushes. GAP was one I considered but they wouldn't do one small customization even if I sent the parts; turns out GAP ended up having problems. Not sure about SIG 7.62 AR's, I've heard some people complain. LMT makes a really nice one and now Noveske finally makes one after all this time, the N6. They make a really solid AR so I bet this one is probably pretty nice too. Most all these are DI too, some have a FA but most don't.

Reactions: Potss
https://www.primaryweapons.com/product-url-6410

so I'm thinking about getting this. would be shooting almost exclusively suppressed.

BUT

Not a fan of AR style rifles without a forward assist. What can I say, I have found it necessary on many occasions.

Is that retarded of me or makes sense?

Just curious to hear other opinions

I have the rifle you are looking at getting. Set it up as my deer gun and have enjoyed shooting it a lot. Its actually one of m favorite rifles to shoot at the moment. I have not had a single hiccup or problem with it so far. She does weigh a bit but she's still lighted than my 18" savage 10 so there's that.

Reactions: Austinjunks
I have an older MK216 and it runs great. I haven't spent much time dialing in loads for it but it'll shoot anything I put into it.

I must have an older one as it has an FA, but can't say that I've ever used it. I don't think it would be a big deal to not have it and I'm assuming it makes it lighter.

I will probably get a 30 cal can for it this year along with a 6.5CM that I should have in a few months. Either a TBAC 7 or Dead Air Nomad more than likely (it'll also see use on a LMT 5.56 and 6.8SPC).

Used a FA many times in the military. Came in handy when my rifle was dirty.
I have no doubt it has worked when used properly, most don't run the guns hard enough for it to be off use. The few times I have seen people try using it, it is not the appropriate reaction to the issue at hand, and they further complicate things. I guess my comment did come off a bit dismissive, my point being, most folks don't run their guns long enough and in dirty enough conditions to necessitate a FA.

I have a PWS Mk220 and and the Mk118 .223, both are very accurate and reliable. Noticeably heavier than DI gassers, but they do run a lot cleaner.

Forward Assist? I've never needed one.
If the round won't chamber, stop! Don't force it and jam it worse with the forward assist, there's something wrong.

Then you never ran a dirty rifle. The forward assist was created for a reason and has it's place. Despite not being used often.

Then you never ran a dirty rifle. The forward assist was created for a reason and has it's place. Despite not being used often.

I'm an Infantry verteran, and I've never used the Forward Assist...

As Strykervet has already pointed out, the Forward Assist was designed for the lighter carrier mass of the AR15 and not necessary in the AR10 design.

The need for a Forward Assist on a 'cleaner running' Gas Piston rifle is even more pointless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Potss
I'm an Infantry verteran, and I've never used the Forward Assist...

As Strykervet has already pointed out, the Forward Assist was designed for the lighter carrier mass of the AR15 and not necessary in the AR10 design.

The need for a Forward Assist on a 'cleaner running' Gas Piston rifle is even more pointless.

Well, infantry vet, I guess experiences will vary.

I'm going with the Sig piston. And it has a FA.

I don't have any experience with the Sig AR rifles, but I'm sure they are quality. Enjoy.