• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pws summit

texasplinker

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Kentucky Bluegrass
I will be picking one up from my ffl this weekend. I have a feddersen barrel waiting on it. I've not shot a feddersen before, but they seem to consistently print well. And with the toggle action, the suppressor should keep standard velocity ammo to a light pop.

Any experience and thoughts on this 10/22 derivative? Or the barrel?

For those not familiar, summit is a biathlon style straight pull bolt action rifle based on a 10/22 action that is compatible with all 10/22 accessories apart from the bolt group.

6b5f93a0bee5ad3f64f9c3d13a1fa8c2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I had one a while back. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I couldn't get it to shoot to my satisfaction, so I moved on. I used the factory carbon wrapped barrel though, not sure if the Feddersen will change the outcome or not. Mine would shoot about 1" groups on average at 50 yards, some a little better, and some a lot worse.

Yeah. I fully admit I'm hanging a good bit of expectation on a barrel change. If it doesnt hang with my green mountain barreled 10/22 I'll be a bit bummed.

Had one and did the same thing you are going to do. The carbon barrel was crap to be honest. Ended up selling it to a friend who wanted a project... Ended up finding that the chamber was not round and caused rounds to jam and not extract with a standard 10/22. The federson barrel though was great.

I think you will hate it. Poor workmanship, crappy accuracy and its ugly.

Please ship it to my FFL in Saginaw for proper disposal.

Ha!

How does one even make an out of round chamber? How does one check for this?

Overall are you happy with your setup now woogie? How does it shoot?

I had about 10-15 come through here. I personally tested 6 of them. Of those, none would do better than about 1" at 50yds. I tried all manner of barrels of the best available, and nothing would make it shoot. I swapped out everything. Moved to a kidd trigger, put it in a mcmillan stock, etc... Nothing. Friend of mine even created a custom barrel for his using a 40x barrel. It was rare to get better than .750" @ 50yds no matter what was done.

Good idea, but extremely poor execution. The factory rifles we received were riddled with problems. Feeding, accuracy, extraction, ejection, etc.

Reactions: Rover31
My experience ( I own 2 of them) Fun to shoot. Getting them to headspace was a trial. Getting the correct number of shims on so it will run is not fun. The action is much easier to clean than the standard 10/22.

Initial impressions range report.

The action is slick and cool. Though I occasionally find myself pulling a dead trigger because it hasn't loaded itself like all the rest of my 10/22. :/

The trigger is... amazing. More a button than a trigger.

Factory barrel would not extract reliably. Though I do think there may have been some operator error. After a thorough cleaning, and a little more time, I got better. Once I swapped to the Feddersen barrel, it has cycled 100%. Only malfunctions were fully operator induced.

Head spacing seems to have gone easily enough. PWS said a 004 feeler gauge should have slight positive pressure between bolt face and barrel. Nailed it on the second try. Changing barrels did require heat on the receiver and freezing the barrel.

I slapped the pws barrel on my daughters 10/22, nearly slipped in. Needed a whack with the mallet. Ripped off ten trouble free rounds. That's positive. It may have found a new home. It sure looks sharp.

Real accuracy test on the summit action will have to wait a week or two. I had a loaner scope, and loaner can on it. But some informal plinking was promising. Plus, the weather was awful. Rain, wind, mud.
So we mostly stuck to the 450 and 600 yard line and tried to connect with some 66% Idpa steel. When the wind is inconsistent, the extra hundred grains of bullet you get with a 308 is a real gain over a 223.

Can was a new rebel suppressor sos-22. Cheap, light and effective at killing muzzle report. We noticed it seemed to hurt accuracy. And had AT LEAST 3 end cap strikes over 3 rifles and a few hundred rounds fired. Interesting idea, but I'm not sure on the execution. No obvious baffle strikes. Perhaps the end cap was poorly done?

37d3203fecf0e7f74511cfbc5eb4b81a.jpg

I've got one with one of our barrels on it. Fluted and 18" long. Bedded it in a Boyd's thumbhole laminated type stock. Older Weaver 6x target scope. Gun is a little hammer and I have no issues with extraction etc...building one for our oldest boy right now as well.

Two other guys in the shop have them as well. Again no issues. One of the guys has a suppressor on it.

On our barrels for the PWS we put two extractor cuts on the breech end. I think that helps with any extraction issues guys have had. My opinion.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

That is very encouraging for the overall quality of the action Frank. I am sure you and your team know how to make a rifle shoot!

Semi permanent setup. Hope to get to the range Sunday. I will likely change to slightly smaller / lighter scope.
c7cf1310dbdf0dd290301a1eb4546432.jpg

Mine is on the way back from PWS, they adjusted the headspacing and fixed the extraction issues- good folks to deal with.

Attachments

• photo55526.jpg
    photo55526.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 45
I have wanted to give one of these a try but have heard nothing but horror stories about getting them to run. Tagged to see how this turns out

A few hundred rounds into this thing my biggest worry is fading fast. I was very worried about reliable feeding and extraction. Since moving the summit barrel to a 10/22 blaster and putting the feddersen on the summit action I've had zero feed/ejection issues on the summit action. Surprisingly, zero issues with the summit tension barrel in a 10/22 action.

I have a hasty zero on the summit at this point and I'm not concerned about the accuracy. If I can get my sloppy 10/22 action to shoot with a gm barrel, I'm confident this thing will shoot just fine.

On initial impressions the barrel seems to have been the weak link in the design. Silencerhq.com should have some triggered actions in stock.

It took longer than I had expected. But I think I've got this one dialed in.

Today I got rough drops to 190. Also printed a few groups at 153, and 112 recently. The athlon talos 4-14 is here to stay. Good, repeatable clicks. The feddersen barrel is doing its work with wolf MT. Surprisingly, it's about the only ammo it shoots. Tried some high dollar lapua and eley to terrible effect.

Action is smooth and reliable. With a can it's just stupid fun to shoot. I a love to try out a titan Victor on it. Other than that, it's nails.

Paper at 50yd
Round steel at 112yd
USPSA at 153

Attachments

• shot_1523742763121.jpg
    shot_1523742763121.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 33
  • shot_1522962588232.jpg
    shot_1522962588232.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 50
  • shot_1522970426927.jpg
    shot_1522970426927.jpg