• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PWS "T3 Tension" 10/22 Barrel... which one to get?

rfb

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2011
Seattle
PWS T3 Tension Chrome-Molly vs. PWS T3 Tension Stainless

I like the Primary Weapons T3s because they're about $90 cheaper than the competitions' barrels, and are carbon fiber-wrapped (which is cooler) and come threaded with thread protector.

I've read lots of forums that provide contradictory info about stainless vs. chrome-moly, i.e. stainless is weaker and will burst at freezing temperatures, chrome-moly is more accurate, stainless is more accurate, stainless resists heat erosion and lasts longer, chrome-moly is harder and lasts longer, and so on. I don't know who to believe.

I don't think barrel longevity is much of an issue considering the .22 isn't a high-pressure, high-velocity round.

Corrosion resistance is a concern of mine, however, and stainless seems to clean up easier. Since the price is equal, is there any reason <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> to get the stainless barrel? Apart from cosmetic reasons, of course.

This will be for a lightweight, backpacking/survival-type 10/22 that's meant to go some time between proper cleanings, which is why I'm leaning towards the stainless barrel. Convince me otherwise.

(Also considering the Kidd Lightweight and Volquartsen.)

Re: PWS "T3 Tension" 10/22 Barrel... which one to get?

I'm interested to hear what others say. I'm looking for a bull barrel myself.

Re: PWS "T3 Tension" 10/22 Barrel... which one to get?

Maybe I'll check out Rimfire Central.