• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

VIEW THREAD

PX Questions on Repeat

lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Px Questions on Repeat

1. You must be a Supporter to Sell on this site, it's that easy, gray is gone.

2. You can respond to a PX post, but you cannot respond to sell, you can only respond to question or buy,

3. WTB is the Same as Selling, if you are trying to post A WTB, you have to upgrade, a PX post is a PX post, is a PX Post, it's still a transaction.

4. There is no 100 post rule anymore, you have to upgrade, free rides ended a ways back.

5. Any sale type post outside the PX is a banning offense, that includes price checks and tire kickers thinking of selling but not sure, if you word it in a way we understand what you are trying to do, odds are you'll get banned immediately.

6. Posting Ads in other places because you cannot post in PX is a Banning offense

This site has operated for more than 15 years, which is a lot of traffic. You are not doing something or saying something we have not seen before, hence the lack of warnings. We have no patience for those trying to find loopholes, play the edges, or straight up, attempt to game the system. We have seen it all and have no issue removing a member for these types of violations. You add nothing to the site, and won't be missed, this is not a for-sale site, it's an informed one with a PX for its contributing members.

DellaDog

Minuteman
    Feb 23, 2017
    DFW, TX
    OK, just a bit confused. Does that mean one needs a “Supporter” banner to post, or is “PX Member” sufficient?
    Thanks

Edit:
    Just saw this
    ”Note* You must have Supporter/Commercial Member Status and a complete profile in order to post items for sale.”

Is this a new policy and requires a $19.95 per month “Supporter” account to post any “For Sale” posts in the PX?

Last edited:

Badfinger

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
  • Aug 11, 2013
    S/W Ohio
    From post #1 above:
    1. You must be a Supporter to Sell on this site, it's that easy, gray is gone.

Basher

I fly stuff and I know things.
    Minuteman
    Dec 13, 2004
    Chandler AZ, USA
    Stupid question probably, but hey, I’m that guy today:

I assume being an Online Training member is still considered a site supporter and this grants PX access, correct?

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2017
    Kaysville Utah
    Stupid question probably, but hey, I’m that guy today:

I assume being an Online Training member is still considered a site supporter and this grants PX access, correct?
    Old king (Online Training) is dead. Long live the king (Supporter).

DellaDog

Minuteman
    Feb 23, 2017
    DFW, TX
    To be perfectly candid, if I’m understanding the new policy correctly, it’s nuts. Many of us that check in frequently to look for deals or find items not found on LGS shelves will drop by far less often as the for sale/trade market dries up.

I only occasionally post for sale items, but $20 a month for the privilege will send sellers elsewhere.
    Just doesn’t make sense to me.

(Standing by for the probable ban)

Reload10

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jan 21, 2018
    It's a business. If the px revenue gained by this move more than offsets the potential viewer loss ($$) on ads/paid commercial accounts he'll go forward with it. Let's say he gets 1000 "supporter" accounts = $240,000 in gross/yr.

Basher

Minuteman
    Dec 13, 2004
    Chandler AZ, USA
    Old king (Online Training) is dead. Long live the king (Supporter).

Wait, WTH? I haven’t been as active the last few months, but I’ve still checked in. It’s been longer since I tried to access the Online Training section. I’m still getting billed each month, but now the training section shows no posts in the forum...

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2017
    Kaysville Utah

wind gypsy

Shoots Dinks
    Minuteman
    Aug 5, 2014
    Minnesota
    A quick perusal through the classifieds indicates a whole bunch of listings and WTB ads from long time SH users (in forums, not just classifieds) who have "PX Member" in their profile but not "Supporting member". Are they all going to get banned?

Basher

Minuteman
    Dec 13, 2004
    Chandler AZ, USA
    Reactions: LeftyJason

daylate

Dollar Short........
    Minuteman
    Mar 13, 2013
    St.Catharine, Missouri
    Pretty sure you can come and go as a supporter as in month to month...i don't believe its a yearly thing......But i have been wrong before....I assure you its cheaper than gun broker or somewhere like that....I Know I just has a 500.00 item sell on GB and the fees were higher than the supporter fee and that was just one item....I don't understand the bitch seems like a deal to my simple mind plus you get online training which is worth it anyway....🤷🏻‍♂️

Downtown

Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2013
    To be perfectly candid, if I’m understanding the new policy correctly, it’s nuts. Many of us that check in frequently to look for deals or find items not found on LGS shelves will drop by far less often as the for sale/trade market dries up.

I only occasionally post for sale items, but $20 a month for the privilege will send sellers elsewhere.

The reason is simple, really. Lowlight isn't interested in the PX traffic at all. This site was made to be educational and all the buy/sell traffic is irrelevant. Not nuts at all.

DairyDictator

Unlucky Bastard
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Mar 15, 2019

It's a business. If the px revenue gained by this move more than offsets the potential viewer loss ($$) on ads/paid commercial accounts he'll go forward with it. Let's say he gets 1000 "supporter" accounts = $240,000 in gross/yr.
    Just based on loads of stuff the HMFIC has posted on here Sniper's Hide isn't and never was meant to be a for sale site. It's an informational forum. The PX was just supposed to be a little perk for contributing members. Key word being contributing.

There's been at least a couple incidents of fraud recently and that among other reasons I don't know about, they went to supporters only. The site's grown exponentially, I'm sure there's been some behind the scenes growing pains. You can still respond to the threads put up (buy what someone is selling or I assume respond to a WTB ad) but you cannot make posts yourself.

It might be a money thing, but I sincerely doubt it. If you're only here for the PX section, you probably shouldn't be here anyway. I guarantee you the loss of those guys won't hurt Lowlight's feelings in the least.

Reactions: Rmdashrf

DevilDocAZ

10/4 Dinosaur
    Minuteman
    Sep 11, 2014
    Yuma, AZ
    At least people buying will have a better feeling if the person selling is a contributing member.

All the fake ass ads were leading to a more annoying post....People crying how they didn’t get their $3,500 AI.....yeah like that as was real. Same with scopes, chassis, blah blah blah. I’m sure HMIC got tired of babysitting.

New rule is a no brainer.

Reactions: 6.5SH

2aBaCa

Humans are amusing
    Minuteman
    Jan 27, 2019
    Behind enemy lines Northern Commiefornia
    So is $20 the minimum buy in for scammers and newbies with the sole intent to profit in PX?

Doesnt making a buy in sorta turn it into an official for sale site? Where before it was kinda like a craigslist, now its like armslist.

I would think a time requirement or minimum post count would be more of a deterent for bad behavior. At least it gives them some time in the community to learn some etiquette and gives the community time to feel them out. Plus how many scammers will stick around for X amount of days or X amount of posts.

Either way hope it solves all your problems.

In the event that I ever want to sell or WTB something can I just send you $20?

Reactions: kerjo

AngryKoala

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 30, 2020
    Question, if I buy yearly does the year start from the date of purchase (assuming so) or is it based on the calendar year?

SmartDonkey

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Oct 18, 2018
    Haven't bought or sold anything in the PX... not really set up for it and don't want to get scammed. I do like to look at it every now and then..... and from a quick glance it looks like there is about to be a lot less members......

I'd be willing to bet that most don't know about the new rule.... Maybe a link or something when you try to post an ad?

Jmkjr87

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2019
    So having PX member next to your name doesn't allow you to sell in the PX anymore right? You have to be a supporter in order to sell or am I grandfathered in. Just wanna make sure

Basher

Minuteman
    Dec 13, 2004
    Chandler AZ, USA
    Now I’m really confused.

It would appear that if you can post a thread in the PX, you meet a criteria of some form and are allowed to post. If you can’t, you need to upgrade to Site Supporter. I’ll find out shortly as I have something to list, and have been an Online Training member for some time, so maybe I got grandfathered. But the Site Supporter is a higher amount, so I plan to change either way. My activity levels on the Hide wax and wane, but it’s always been such a good resource that I want to give back and maintain access to the info in the training section. A few bucks a month is a small price to pay for the community and benefits that come with it, IMO.

lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    The idea was to simplify and streamline the process so we didn't have upgrades for 10 different things

What happens is, over the years, we add in services or features that are not really connected to the year before, so when we revamped the place we simplified the titles and upgrades.

The problem was, people started to abuse it, so I said everyone needs to upgrade, both responding or posting, but I did not change the responding update.

Guys were using a loophole to let NON PX Members post by creating a running PX threads that anyone could reply too. You can reply but not initiate a post, when the running threads started, people realized they could sell too.

It's been a Year, I can remove the PX access I grandfathered in, if you didn't use, you lost it type action ?

Reactions: DamagedGuds

AngryKoala

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 30, 2020
    The idea was to simplify and streamline the process so we didn't have upgrades for 10 different things

What happens is, over the years, we add in services or features that are not really connected to the year before, so when we revamped the place we simplified the titles and upgrades.

The problem was, people started to abuse it, so I said everyone needs to upgrade, both responding or posting, but I did not change the responding update.

Guys were using a loophole to let NON PX Members post by creating a running PX threads that anyone could reply too. You can reply but not initiate a post, when the running threads started, people realized they could sell too.

It's been a Year, I can remove the PX access I grandfathered in, if you didn't use, you lost it type action ?

I appreciate you keeping the PX around and also appreciate the grandfathering in. I know the PX causes headaches but we really do love that additional feature of this site. Thanks again!

kwak

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Dec 13, 2010
    MI
    Since I am a little slow how do I know if I have been grandfathered?

If someone posts a WTB because he needs some bullets I might have I can't answer his post because that would be a sell. Is that correct?

I have been a member for 10 years and do not know anything about a PX membership.

Can I still post or has my ability to post been automatically frozen?

Thank You

AngryKoala

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 30, 2020
    Since I am a little slow how do I know if I have been grandfathered?

If someone posts a WTB because he needs some bullets I might have I can't answer his post because that would be a sell. Is that correct?

I have been a member for 10 years and do not know anything about a PX membership.

Can I still post or has my ability to post been automatically frozen?

Thank You

If you have the ability to post in the PX then you are grandfathered in. If you don't, then you have to upgrade.

Diver160651

Who cares
    Minuteman
  • Feb 7, 2013
    La Honda
    @lowlight
    Frank, thank you.

First off I need to admit I came here for the PX; but I have spent countless hours trying to help others. I have one on tripods with 24,000 views, one onfield match tips and tricks with 22,000 view and on DIY camera with like 11K + with 42,000 views from Scout and many others. The point being, the PX while a pain in the but is also a gem that many of us see as a perk. Shit If I spent more time working and less time answering questions, I'd have way more disposable income and would not need to buy or sell something on the PX :).

Thank you again Frank for giving us PX access and a great site to share and learn..

Jim

Last edited:

FishDr

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
  • Apr 10, 2014
    West KY
    @Diver160651
    I share your story, Jim. I don't have anywhere near the information to offer as you do, or perhaps my experience is not in the areas that folks are seeking assistance. I sure try to pitch in often in the reloading and equipment forums. I have benefitted from your tripod and field match tips threads, as well as a couple of your PX posts. The scope we traded last year is doing a great job on my precision AR! Appreciate it!

@lowlight, Thanks for making the learning environment possible. Can't begin to establish the techniques and tips I've learned from you, the podcast, and this site.

Reactions: Diver160651

lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    I get it can be confusing because of the changes, but the site has always changed. We went from UBB Threads to Bulletin, to now this software and currently the recent big upgrades.

The idea is to improve the User Experience, make it easier to customize, navigate and find what you are looking for, while providing a bunch of different services

The PX is a service and one with value, so if that can offset the costs of the site vs doing Ads, big win. You get to sell stuff and everyone is happy.

the Online Training is growing, improving and too has been changing. As the system improve so does our ability to provide the information. We made the decision to include all the original Online Training Lessons as part of the Supporter Accounts, To clean up the rolls and the system we ask you cancel any old online training accounts. We can cancel them here, but Pay Pal has to cancel them there, so that means your account has to be canceled by you unfortunately, they don't store your data here for good reason.

Once we finish the Online Training Upgrade, the new versions will be offered, but the basics, the originals will be part of a supporter account. The supporter account controls the PX, and later we'll have a upgraded Online Training.

I get it, people come and go, rules changed, but also, this is YEARS worth, not like rules change overnight, they are years in the breaking