• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PX rant: “Claim item in the ad, then PM” BS!

Basher

I fly stuff and I know things.
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2004
Lafayette IN, USA
***DISCLAIMER: I am not asking Frank or other mods to step in here, merely ranting to raise awareness and get it off my chest.***

Please post “I’ll take (name of item)” just so everybody is on the same page.

I see this posted frequently on forums, but it’s rarely followed, and it’s incredibly frustrating.

Sellers, why are you setting stipulations for your ads, and then not enforcing them? In the past week, I’ve seen no less than SEVEN such situations both here and on other forums. The seller says “State in the ad that you’ll take item X, then send a PM.”

So, I do exactly that, and guess what? Despite NO such claim being made in the ad, the item is sold! WTF?

If you’re going to post this type of stuff, stick to it. The rest of us who CAN READ AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AS STATED are kinda getting tired of others who can’t, and of sellers who don’t follow their own frickin’ rules... ?

End rant.

List that it’s cross-posted, I guess.

I realize there’s no perfect solution. However, out of those items I posted and sent a PM on, all were sold to members of the specific forum I was posting from. It’s not unique to the Hide by any means, but I’ve had a higher number of these events here lately, hence the post. More newer members who may not have the same high standards The Hide has been known to have, perhaps.

***DISCLAIMER: I am not asking Frank or other mods to step in here, merely ranting to raise awareness and get it off my chest.***

I see this posted frequently on forums, but it’s rarely followed, and it’s incredibly frustrating.

Sellers, why are you setting stipulations for your ads, and then not enforcing them? In the past week, I’ve seen no less than SEVEN such situations both here and on other forums. The seller says “State in the ad that you’ll take item X, then send a PM.”

So, I do exactly that, and guess what? Despite NO such claim being made in the ad, the item is sold! WTF?

If you’re going to post this type of stuff, stick to it. The rest of us who CAN READ AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AS STATED are kinda getting tired of others who can’t, and of sellers who don’t follow their own frickin’ rules... ?

End rant.

Hey, tell us how you really feel, oh and don't hold back this time???

Yeah it definitely sucks though. I always seem to be a day late and a dollar short most times with things here. The old hide used to be better with these ads for sure.

I'm not gonna post "I'll take it" if I have a question that the answer one way or another could be a deal breaker. Just plain fucking stupid. I'll PM, get my question answered, make my decision then and there, and immediately PM back said decision. Then I'll post an "I'll take it". Howevere, if in that time frame somebody posts an "I'll take it" I'm not gonna think somehow that I got robbed; he beat me to it fair and square.

Go be poor somewhere else!

No, no, no, that’s The German’s job! :ROFLMAO:

I'm not gonna post "I'll take it" if I have a question that the answer one way or another could be a deal breaker. Just plain fucking stupid. I'll PM, get my question answered, make my decision then and there, and immediately PM back said decision. Then I'll post an "I'll take it". Howevere, if in that time frame somebody posts an "I'll take it" I'm not gonna think somehow that I got robbed; he beat me to it fair and square.

This is how I operate, just to be clear. I’ve had that very thing happen a few times, where I PM for clarification and someone else decides to jump in partially blind. If they wanna claim it first without knowing all the details, more power to ‘em!

But for times where that post never materializes, it really gets my knickers in a wad. :ROFLMAO: For those unsure, yes I’m serious that it’s frustrating, but I posted knowing I’d get heckled. Part of the fun here, and I’ll own up to it making me look like a “little bitch,” as 19Scout77 so eloquently put it. What can I say, I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, @19Scout77. Tomorrow’s not looking so good, either...:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1J04 and Jscb1b
The few things I have sold here I clearly posted in my ad the first public "I will take it" trumps any PMs and I make the buyer go back and post that. The few things I have bought here after any PMs if I wanted it I posted "I will take it" but I knew and understood if someone posted a "I will take it" before I did then I was SOL.

Well, maybe that twice fired Lapua brass that’s being listed at 20% over retail for new isn’t such a good deal afterall.......Blows me away that It even sells, but, there seem to be plenty of noobs that jump all over it. :rolleyes:
Far be it for me to shit on a listing, but it sure is tempting.
Then you'll love this local listing.
Screenshot_20200419-233133_Chrome.jpg

Hey man I'm definitely interested and can't seem to find these anywhere! What's the lowest price you'll take? Hello? Look man I'm a serious buyer, I just want to know how much you'd take for it. Yes, I know you put a price in there but dude I'm not paying asking price because we both know you'll go lower. Look I can buy AR grips all day at my LGS but I'd rather help a brother out. Ok how about this. You pay me $10, cover overnight shipping, and I'll take it off of your hands. Look dude I just sent the payment like three seconds ago and I know its 3am, but I haven't received a tracking number. Is this a scam? I'm reporting you. Hello? Fuck you. Never mind I want my money back. I just bought one from another dude that wasn't screwing me around at 4am and says that he just shipped it.

If you only accept certain forms of payment, list payment options in the ad.

Reactions: 1J04
I pretty much stopped selling online. The last few times, I would get lowball offers, or a back and forth with questions and pix requests only to see the buyer fall off the face of the earth (maybe Frank is right about aliens). The last try, went back and forth with buyer when I wouldn't take paypal or some other method I've never heard of, he backed out. I don't think he was trying to rip me off, rather I think he didn't have the cash. Now I offer to acquaintances and post an ad on the club BB. If it doesn't sell, I pack it away for my kids/grandkids.

Hey man I'm definitely interested and can't seem to find these anywhere! What's the lowest price you'll take? Hello? Look man I'm a serious buyer, I just want to know how much you'd take for it. Yes, I know you put a price in there but dude I'm not paying asking price because we both know you'll go lower. Look I can buy AR grips all day at my LGS but I'd rather help a brother out. Ok how about this. You pay me $10, cover overnight shipping, and I'll take it off of your hands. Look dude I just sent the payment like three seconds ago and I know its 3am, but I haven't received a tracking number. Is this a scam? I'm reporting you. Hello? Fuck you. Never mind I want my money back. I just bought one from another dude that wasn't screwing me around at 4am and says that he just shipped it.

LOL. Most recently I saw a post elsewhere asking where to buy 9MM bullets. The poster was unprepared for a shortage and was desperate. He would buy anything you had in any quantity...but he wasn't going to pay rip off prices. Surprisingly, he received zero responses.

Sorry, sport, but if I sell anything right now, you're paying my price or doing without...unless I know you well.

I pretty much stopped selling online. The last few times, I would get lowball offers, or a back and forth with questions and pix requests only to see the buyer fall off the face of the earth (maybe Frank is right about aliens). The last try, went back and forth with buyer when I wouldn't take paypal or some other method I've never heard of, he backed out. I don't think he was trying to rip me off, rather I think he didn't have the cash. Now I offer to acquaintances and post an ad on the club BB. If it doesn't sell, I pack it away for my kids/grandkids.
I was selling a scope on here a couple of months ago. Went back and forth with a guy for about a week. He finally makes me a reasonable offer, which I accept back to him in writing. Crickets, so, after about 3 days, I ping him. I saw that he was continuing to look at and make offers to others for different kinds of scopes than mine. I was surprised, but he answered. He said he had to get his wife's "permission". I sent him a "nice" e-mail back, explaining that out of courtesy to the next seller he "makes an offer" to, please make sure that he has his wife's permission before committing. Strange, I never heard back from him......... :rolleyes:

Buyers should PM the seller, not just post I’ll take it in the ad. Most sellers won’t see that until later unless they have notifications turned on.

First person who PM’s me with a firm I’ll take it and agreeing to my sale terms gets it. I could give a fuck less who PM’s me first asking stupid questions, negotiating, or posts in the thread. Until a agreement is reached between both parties then I can sell to whoever the hell I want.

Buyers should PM the seller, not just post I’ll take it in the ad. Most sellers won’t see that until later unless they have notifications turned on.

First person who PM’s me with a firm I’ll take it and agreeing to my sale terms gets it. I could give a fuck less who PM’s me first asking stupid questions, negotiating, or posts in the thread. Until a agreement is reached between both parties then I can sell to whoever the hell I want.

HA! About 10 years ago I posted a highly desirable item at a reasonable price. At the time, there was a six-plus month wait and I was selling at about 90 percent shipped. Check PMs that night and first one is a lowball. Ignore. Next three are, "I'll take it." Once I make contact and I'm certain the first taker is serious, I change thread title to SPF. Less than 30 minutes later I get a PM from Mr Lowball pissed off I didn't give him a chance to up his offer. He didn't like my response.

If I'm firm on a price, don't expect a response to lowballs.

You'll find that a lot of times there is a good deal of negotiation that goes on in PMs over price, options, shipping, trades etc.
Very often the deal is all done and complete in PM and then at a later time the seller will post that it has been sold or the buyer may post that they sent funds.

Most people will probably not post first that they will take it unless they are happy paying full price since it's bad manners to post I'll take it and then start negotiating.

In the end nobody has to sell you anything and you don't really have to have anything on here, so it's not really worth getting upset if someone else bought it before you sealed the deal.

HA! About 10 years ago I posted a highly desirable item at a reasonable price. At the time, there was a six-plus month wait and I was selling at about 90 percent shipped. Check PMs that night and first one is a lowball. Ignore. Next three are, "I'll take it." Once I make contact and I'm certain the first taker is serious, I change thread title to SPF. Less than 30 minutes later I get a PM from Mr Lowball pissed off I didn't give him a chance to up his offer. He didn't like my response.

Similar experience on above said scope, more recent selling cycle. I just ignored all of his PM's. No sense in getting your blood pressure up over a bottom feeder.

I’ve had a couple of those too, amazing how people feel entitled to your shit.

Until a deal is struck you can sell to anyone you deem fit and deny selling to anyone for any reason what so ever. You’re under no contract or agreement to anyone until both sides agree on terms and the perspective buyer says “I’ll take it” and the seller in return says “it’s yours”. There’s been a couple occasions where I’ve had multiple takers and haven’t sold to the first person because they’re brand new to the site and I’ve had another taker that’s an established member. I’m gonna take the safer bet if I have it, sorry about your bad luck. Try being an established member instead of just coming here to use the PX.

Whats the lowest you'll take? I have cash.
More than you’ll pay!

I buy and sell quite a bit. I don’t like “what’s the lowest you will take.” Always make an offer. I expect you to offer less. Just do it. I can accept or counter. Asking what’s the lowest you will take shuts sellers like me down quick

More than you’ll pay!

I buy and sell quite a bit. I don’t like “what’s the lowest you will take.” Always make an offer. I expect you to offer less. Just do it. I can accept or counter. Asking what’s the lowest you will take shuts sellers like me down quick

I don't so much here, but buy and sell a lot other places.

I'll always respond to real offers or well-intentioned trades ideas but the "What's your bottom dollar?" or "What's your lowest price?" right out the gate is a pretty good way to be ignored.

Another good one is the "Any trades? [link to huge list of used tactical gear or other non-related stuff]"

Reactions: Basher
More than you’ll pay!

When I get one of those questions I usually respond for the asking price plus 5%