• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Q Fix barrel options?

squinty-andy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2011
the woods, wetside, wa.
I’ve got a spare Q fix barrel that I’m not using, and I’m wondering what's involved in mounting another barrel to the barrel extension. Ultimately I'm wondering if there's an easy path to a 6.5cm sporter profile barrel in the 20-ish inch range (e.g. Tikka lite-ish barrel), without the expense of a proof carbon or a major gunsmithing odessey.

Do the Q barrel extension specs match any common prefit barrels (eg savage small shank, etc) or is a gunsmith is going to be required to cut a proprietary shank, length, threads etc. I'd obviously have to head-space, but I'm curious if I can treat the barrel extension as an 'adapter' for a more broadly-supported pre-fit shank?

Cheapest option would be to send that barrel to Q and have them install on a new barrel. They make a 20” 6.5 creed in their light contour. I’m pretty sure they'll do it for you that way.

The tenon is absolutely proprietary to that platform.

Its not a difficult thing for a gunsmith to do the work. I made an extension wrench to do this very thing. If you have someone do it, request they do a shouldered install (like a current proof Fix prefit is) instead of the jam nut.

There’s no other barrels that drop onto the extension. Considering that you can get a Proof CF prefit from retailers for $750ish with the extension installed you’d be money ahead to sell your barrel and just buy a Proof than sending your extension out to rebarrel.

The 20” 6.5 Proof is the perfect combo on a fix.