• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Q: Inletting a McMillan stock.

Julle

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2011
Finland
I have a McMillan A5 stock without inletting. Is there any way to do the inletting by my self? I have talked to gunsmiths but nobody wants to take the job. Too messy and hard to mill the fiberglass is the answers I get. I´m getting bit frustrated here because the stock would be great if I could just get it inletted for my rifle! I have a Tikka T3 action for it.

Re: Q: Inletting a McMillan stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: julle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a McMillan A5 stock without inletting. Is there any way to do the inletting by my self? I have talked to gunsmiths but nobody wants to take the job. Too messy and hard to mill the fiberglass is the answers I get. I´m getting bit frustrated here because the stock would be great if I could just get it inletted for my rifle! I have a Tikka T3 action for it. </div></div>

stock inletting is very tricky to do on a stock thats not at the least roughed in. its time consuming and costly for the average gunsmith who is not set up to do it.

if you want it done 100 percent correctly someone like C dixon who will CNC it in, has a boatload of experience doing it, and stands behind his work is a small price to pay to make sure its done right.

If a cutomer brough me an un inletted stock, i would either refer them to chad or send the stock to him myself just to make sure its done 100 percent perfect.

just having a mill does not even come close to equalling being able to do that kind of work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We do it everyday here on every build we offer.

C. </div></div>

Yep. I´ve seen your work and they look awesome! If I only lived in the US...
smirk.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Send it back to McMillan</span>. They'll inlet it for you.

I have a B&C A2 coming in the mail this week... the barrel that I'm using is a shilen 7HV contour, and it's a very very heavy barrel. I'm sure I'm going to need to open up the barrel channel for it.

What's the best way to go about it? I have a mill...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ian McMahon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a B&C A2 coming in the mail this week... the barrel that I'm using is a shilen 7HV contour, and it's a very very heavy barrel. I'm sure I'm going to need to open up the barrel channel for it.

What's the best way to go about it? I have a mill... </div></div>
Do you have round / ball end mill cutters?

I'm not sure what the best way to fixture the stock on the table is... anyone got some good pictures of their setups? Also, finding a good angle to cut the taper... tips and tricks?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Send it back to McMillan</span>. They'll inlet it for you. </div></div>

+1000000000000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Send it back to McMillan</span>. They'll inlet it for you. </div></div>

+1000000000000 </div></div>

I live in Finland... I´m not gonna ship it across the atlantic and back.

I am doing one of my own and is turning out to be a pain in the ass. My problem is I tried to go to far to fast. If you go slow, you can do it but I don't think it will look as awesome as the work that chad dixon does.
I cut the barrel channel, remove the trigger from the action get that to fit. The I made a mold of the old stock trigger area. Made some measurements and preceded with the trigger area. Cut the bolt slot last. The biggest problem is going to fast, removing to much material and then having to fit that. If it is a molded or marble finish you are going to have problems with it chipping. If you score or cut through the gel coat with a knife it will lower chip count. Make sure to lay tap over where you are going to run the mill to give the gel coat a little more.resistance to chipping. Just some tips, main thing is go slow. If you have knowledge on milling aluminum, you can make a bedding block. Hope that helps

I did the barrel channel on my B&C today... I went and bought a 1" core box router bit, set it up in my 6" swivel vise, and did it in three cuts. Didn't bust through into the core.

BTW, the 2x4 forend on the B&C A2 may be ugly and kinda uncomfortable, but it's a great platform to clamp in a vise!
laugh.gif

Send it to Chad at LongRifles

I don't care who you are you can not get any better than the CNC inlets he turns out.

I have three of them in the closet.

It is almost a shame to put the actions in the stocks.