• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Q Mini Fix with Proof Carbon 223 Rem 16" Barrel Accuracy

ToKeepAndBear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
I picked up a slightly used 16" Proof Carbon barrel and 15 inch handguard for my 300 Blk Mini Fix pistol recently off the SH marketplace. I could not find much information on the net about this combo and accuracy so thought I would provide some feedback. As only "20 rounds fired through barrel" per the ad, I thought it might be a lemon. In fact, it is probably the easiest barrel I have ever had regarding load development!

As you will see, these are three round groups, which are a bit suspect in isolation. When all the three round groups shoot well, a pattern of performance emerges despite the three round per charge weight limitation.

77 TMK, 77 SMK, and 53 Vmax loads were shot. N140 was used for the 77gr weight loads. N133 was used for the 53gr Vmax.

Starting with the 77 SMK at 100 yards:

tempImage4R1SU3.jpg

The 77 TMK at 100 yards:

tempImageFuuoS4.jpg

The 53 Vmax at 100 yards, note how the shots for 77 SMK/77 TMK/53 Vmax are essentially within 1/2 minute of the same point of impact for the same point of aim:

tempImagetWnHSs.jpg

The 77 TMK at 300 yards:
tempImage8KGet3.jpg

The 77 TMK at 600 yards:

tempImageyURfFi.jpg

Last edited:
I just picked up a Proof 16" CF barrel. Very interested in this post!! I have all three of those bullets and N133. No N140 on hand but lots of other powders like it.

Mind sharing your load data and COL's?

-ZA

Tagging in here for some input, trying my hardest to not build a custom rifle, as I already own a Fix and my other centerfire rifles are AI.

I want to get a 223/5.56 bolt gun, and the choices seem to be the Mini Fix or build something.

How have they been running for you and are you still satisfied with the purchase?

I sold both of the 300 BLK Minis I had due to light strike issues that would not go away.

@ToKeepAndBear / @ZA206 / @redneckbmxer24

Tagging in here for some input, trying my hardest to not build a custom rifle, as I already own a Fix and my other centerfire rifles are AI.

I want to get a 223/5.56 bolt gun, and the choices seem to be the Mini Fix or build something.

How have they been running for you and are you still satisfied with the purchase?

I sold both of the 300 BLK Minis I had due to light strike issues that would not go away.

As cool as a Fix is, a custom is the way to go IMO. I found a custom in a HNT26 much more enjoyable to shoot than my Fix, it weighed the same with a proof CF, it could be swapped between magnum, standard, and 223 BF cartridges, and no playing games trying to get acc’s like a butt pad that didn’t suck or a bolt knob. Running AICS pattern mags as opposed to AR pattern has its benefits too. Swapping barrels is also easier on a custom. Cost is basically a wash as well. It’s far less to do the custom when you consider you have to have two rifles to do 223 and 308 size with the Fix.

So my advice would be to get an impact or an origin, drop it in a MDT HNT26 or XLR Element, and get a couple barrels.

I sold mine for the same reasons and their never ending BS during covid, blaming things for ammo quality.... However I would give it another go nowadays. BUT, I bought a Proof Elevation MTR on a great deal way under MSRP and it has been a joyous rifle. It is not a chassis rifle but that is okay, that can change in a day. It is a hammer. Lightweight, and carry anywhere on you kind of rifle. I also have AIs for centerfire rifles, so this was a refreshing change, especially in weight department. Go for a 223 rifle, for sure.

Reactions: DosMeadowlandos
I am still really enjoying the Mini Fix as a lightweight and handy 223! I have a Tikka CTR 223 as well and enjoy them both. I would give the nod to the Mini Fix for the well designed folding stock, compact length, and handy package. It also shoots very well with the Proof carbon barrel.

My Mini 224V has been a tack driver since I added the Trash Panda, it was a little meh when it first arrived after the stupid pre order wait nonsense. I was pretty disappointed and felt like i got duped. I’ve shot at least 600 rounds through it now and killed almost that many ground squirrels and it is just a pleasure to shoot. I’m almost worried about going to 6mm ARC with it because my older boy is perfectly fine deer hunting with the 6mm Creed or 6.5PRC now. Younger boy has 2 years before he can hunt so maybe the 224V barrel will start showing its age by then. It is just about the coolest varmit and steel plinking 6-800yd rifle I’ve ever owned.

Reactions: xxflyingturtlexx
This is why they suck
That is nothing…. I am so glad i got out off mine when they were hot. He captured the clueless ar15 crowd off guard with some weird marketing and dudes new into bolt guns thought the q and the min q were the best things since slice of bread. Any knowledgable bolt action enthusiast would have read it from a mile. Good for him to tap into a market. Guns are alright. Kevin and his personal life i dont care about, and that did not make me shy away from trying his stuff. I still have a trash panda can but i wont buy another Q product unless something ground breaking comes out. I doubt that will happen😀

That is nothing…. I am so glad i got out off mine when they were hot. He captured the clueless ar15 crowd off guard with some weird marketing and dudes new into bolt guns thought the q and the min q were the best things since slice of bread. Any knowledgable bolt action enthusiast would have read it from a mile. Good for him to tap into a market. Guns are alright. Kevin and his personal life i dont care about, and that did not make me shy away from trying his stuff. I still have a trash panda can but i wont buy another Q product unless something ground breaking comes out. I doubt that will happen😀

I really like the fix but it’s just not worth dealing with the lack of support and a company that won’t even give you a hint when butt pads that actually make the thing shootable might come back in stock after you’ve spent over 25K on their shit.

You can put an impact or origin or whatever you want that you can actually get spare/replacement parts for in a HNT26 with a proof prefit and have a rifle that’s just as light and compact, much more pleasant to shoot, runs 223, 308, or short mag in the same rifle, and has much quicker and simpler barrel swaps with more repeatable POI.

They can play their “high demand” low supply game, I won’t be buying more of their stuff.

That’s the truth.
We have an update on this.

Q has made some slight improvements to the Mini Fix bolt that prevents them from mass producing 6 ARC bolts that will work with every mini fix bolt assembly on the market. The alternative was to offer complete bolt assembly. Due to that cost the 6 ARC mini fix will be complete rifles built by Q with proof research carbon 6 ARC 16.5" barrels and will be available through us.

We have an update on this.

Q has made some slight improvements to the Mini Fix bolt that prevents them from mass producing 6 ARC bolts that will work with every mini fix bolt assembly on the market. The alternative was to offer complete bolt assembly. Due to that cost the 6 ARC mini fix will be complete rifles built by Q with proof research carbon 6 ARC 16.5" barrels and will be available through us.
Will we be able to purchase 556 bolts?