• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Q re: Barreling Savage "Rem style" (sans nut)

mattj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2007
Seattle, WA
Quick question for folks who have re-barreled their Savage without the nut... does it require a 'special' barrel blank, or can you just order a standard barrel blank like you would for a Remington from one of the usual suspects in the contour you want? (assume for the sake of the question that the stock inlet is good to go)

I assume that since the smith has to thread/shoulder the blank anyway, that a 'standard' blank is fine, but just want to make sure there isn't some caveat I'm missing.

Thanks!

Re: Q re: Barreling Savage "Rem style" (sans nut)

That's what I was thinking/hoping. Thanks for the confirmation!

standard, i even have a savage action with a remington barrel. long story, but i'm cheap, best friend's a smith, he had a nearly brand new remington 6mm barrel laying around, and we were bored.

oh, the reason, as he explained it to me, for the savage barrel nut, to save savage on cost of manufacture. that way head space is adjusted by turning the barrel in or out a hair then locking it in with the nut, instead of having to time the threads perfectly.

Thanks everybody
smile.gif