• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

QD Bipods?

dbooksta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
PA
Is the Accu-Shot Atlas BT10LW17 still the best quick-detach rail-mount bipod out there under $300? I like it, but it does have some flex, and I've noticed a few others at Sinclair (their own, and one by Smith) but haven't seen reviews.

I like the LRA, but $500 is over my bipod budget.

Harris is OK, but I think it's kludgy to stack a QD rail mount and then a sling-stud-mount bipod to that.

Re: QD Bipods?

Not to offend the sensibilities of anyone who hates gear that isn't expensive, but I use this adapter on a Harris BR 6-9 and it works great for $25
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X5LTJA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
My thought is: will it create a weak point that might give out under normal or even extreme use? I don't think so.. It's a hunk of metal, not a delicate optic. I got the good bipod, but I don't know how I'd improve this adapter. Total setup was less than $125.
That's my $.02

On this subject, I've met some guys who've used the stoney-point bipods that are actually freaks about them... I'm a little skeptical but I think they'd make a decent hunting setup.

My Harris on a larue qd worked better in Afghanistan than the gg&g did. Dust and dirt does not effect the Harris at all.

What kind of feedback is the TRAMP mount by BO getting? Both when combined with Harris's, as well as Atlas's, & others.

I have the ARMS qd on a Harris that works great. It doesn't add much to the bipod as far as weight/height, so you avoid the bulkiness of stacking the Harris to an adapter.

The TRAMP is by far the best option I've used.

I did a QD Bipod Review of 5 different TOP OF THE LINE bipod mounts and the TRAMP was not only lighter and lower, but it's attachment/detachment method was faster and easier to operate effectively with one hand.

I have two Harris bipods (short for prone work, and tall for seated shooting) and had the option of using any of the other 4 that I tested for free, but spent the money to buy a 2nd T.R.A.M.P. instead.

In my hunting scenarios, I've seen throw lever models that get caught or snag on gear or clothes and come loose going in or out of bags, as well as on/off your person when it's on a sling.

The ADM model fixes that with it's integrated throw lever locking button, but it's very close to a 2 hand operation to remove it.

I'll be using the TRAMP on any/all my bipods till something superior comes along.

AND, as soon as I get a new Mac...I'll have the video review up and running. It's taken me WAY longer than I wanted and I'm really bummed because I feel like I'm letting down the guys that participated in the test, as well as the shooting community.

The LaRue bipod/QD combo (sku 680-005-706) sits the lowest that I've seen in a QD mount...lower than the TRAMP in fact. I do like the TRAMP disconnect lever though..don't wanna knock it at all.

I've used cheapy qd mounts and cheaper bipods and yes they all work but you do get what you pay for...bulky, heavier, qd actions aren't as smooth, etc. You can spend under 200 and get a fine combo with a Harris on it...gotta spend more for the Atlas.

If I had to rely on one..I'd keep the LaRue mentioned above. It's NOT bulky (lowest profile I've seen yet) and it's lightweight. They purposely re-worked it to reduce weight and bulkiness (the qd and bipod are one unit).

The LT130 (with a height of .497 and weight of 2.7oz) was the version I was given to test, and you're right...the LT706 does appear to be a bit lower profile by the pictures on Larue's site.
BUT, it also doesn't appear to be available separate. Only in the combo package. I don't know if this will change or not, or if it would justify a new combo purchase if you've already got a bipod and are just looking for a way to mount it.

The TRAMP has a height of .498 and a weight of 1.7 oz for what it's worth.

+1 on the LaRue mount. They make some great gear.

P1030368.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbooksta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the Accu-Shot Atlas BT10LW17 still the best quick-detach rail-mount bipod out there under $300? I like it, but it does have some flex, and I've noticed a few others at Sinclair (their own, and one by Smith) but haven't seen reviews.

I like the LRA, but $500 is over my bipod budget.

Harris is OK, but I think it's kludgy to stack a QD rail mount and then a sling-stud-mount bipod to that. </div></div>

I hear ya...I wasn't crazy about the Harris/Adapter setup either.

I've got a GG&G XDS with QD mount coming my way. I was also looking for a solid QD bipod under $200 and the GG&G seems to be a solid option. The US Army likes em too. I'll post again once I've got it in hand and get a chance to test it out. I plan to try it out on a R700 .308 and a MK114 5.56.

Harris on the ARMS 17? mount is not klunky at all. I like mine better than the Atlas I had. Not as cool looking but just does what I want it to do a bit better. JMO

I have a Harris and an Atlas on LaRue mounts. I don't find either of them too clunky. I believe the one on the Atlas is a bit lower profile. I think any of the solid QD adapters on the market are nice to have. I would be out a lot more money if I was buying more bipods, and I am personally too lazy to unbolt them all the time.

I bought an adapter at academy and a bipod, and I am wishing I would have just bought something like the Atlas or LaRue!