• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

QD limited Rotation Cup options?

Sundodger

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2021
Washington
I am looking for some limited rotation QD bases for hollow plastic stock, to my surprise I am just finding GrovTech GTHM198 which is full rotation.

I just called Noveske, their "limited rotation" option (part number 05000471) is actually a fixed 4 position.

I am not real particular on the exact amount of rotation, somewhere in the 45 deg -180 deg range should be fine.

Any other suppliers that make something like this?

Here is what I use, they are available in rotating or non-rotating:

That’s for thicker stocks, I have those as well, I am looking for the ones for hollow stocks like this:

I am looking for some limited rotation QD bases for hollow plastic stock, to my surprise I am just finding GrovTech GTHM198 which is full rotation.
The heavy limited rotation flush cups are threaded on the OD so they can stay put under load. Will your hollow plastic stock wall be able to secure those?

How many are you looking for?

Reactions: Milf Dots
The heavy limited rotation flush cups are threaded on the OD so they can stay put under load. Will your hollow plastic stock wall be able to secure those?

How many are you looking for?

Well, the flush cups designed for thin hollow stocks (like the GrovTech 198) have wider flanges on each side to spread forces out to compensate for the lack of thickness. But to your point, I have no idea if the pullout strength is equivalent even with the design changes. I would hope they have the same engineering targets as the standard cups, at least I would if I was doing the design work. It would be really sad (and poor engineering) if they made the flanges too small.

I would probably buy 4 if I could find such a thing. I am starting to doubt it exists, which is weird to me because everyone I know prefers limited rotation to 360.

The #198 would certainly resist pull out but there is nothing in their design that would help it resist rotating in the host hole if the sling loop tried to twist. That is probably why there is not a limited rotation version of it.

Most of their flush cups are machined from 300 series stainless and put through a black oxide bath. The limited rotation versions are a little more involved to machine the track in the I.D. obviously. I bet they just do not have much of a demand for a version that would work in your instance.

I buy the 279 in larger quantities. For clarification, this is what they look like on one of my benches right now.

1000004236.jpg

If you thought you could make it work, I would send you 4.
Not sure how you could anchor behind the shell of the stock AND figure out a feature that would allow the cup to resist turning.

The Noveske flush cups will break right at the flange if you overtighten them. They know that it is an issue. My use of them is limited to 1 rifle, that doesn’t really get abused. I haven’t broken one since that first abortive installation attempt. But, I’m a bit wary none the less.

The #198 would certainly resist pull out but there is nothing in their design that would help it resist rotating in the host hole if the sling loop tried to twist. That is probably why there is not a limited rotation version of it.

Most of their flush cups are machined from 300 series stainless and put through a black oxide bath. The limited rotation versions are a little more involved to machine the track in the I.D. obviously. I bet they just do not have much of a demand for a version that would work in your instance.

I buy the 279 in larger quantities. For clarification, this is what they look like on one of my benches right now.

View attachment 8387578

If you thought you could make it work, I would send you 4.
Not sure how you could anchor behind the shell of the stock AND figure out a feature that would allow the cup to resist turning.

That is a kind offer, thank you, but I do have a enough of those thread in units at the moment.

I bet you are correct about spinning inside the hollow stock and that’s why grovtech only sells a 360 deg version.

Now I am brainstorming the best way to anchor/bond in a boss in a hollow stock…

Reactions: Terry Cross
The Noveske flush cups will break right at the flange if you overtighten them. They know that it is an issue. My use of them is limited to 1 rifle, that doesn’t really get abused. I haven’t broken one since that first abortive installation attempt. But, I’m a bit wary none the less.
I just broke one too, I was gonna order another and clean their thread locker off and use my own, theirs seized before it would tighten all the way, I was trying to hold the flange as my cheap sling swivels wouldn't hold it still. I was looking at those grovetech, they have a thicker flange so I might try one.

That is a kind offer, thank you, but I do have a enough of those thread in units at the moment.

I bet you are correct about spinning inside the hollow stock and that’s why grovtech only sells a 360 deg version.

Now I am brainstorming the best way to anchor/bond in a boss in a hollow stock…
I was thinking Devcon myself, IDK? I'm trying to put it in a Mossberg 930, it has the recoil spring in my way, or else I could epoxy in a block of Delrin.