• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

QD MOUNT POSITION

DOCHOLIDAY1887

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2021
Texas
Quick question on QD mounts. Does the exact position on the rail matter from one shot to the next or one optic to the next? So for example let's say I have my LR scope on the rifle (zeroed) shoot and then swap over to my red dot shoot and swap back to my LR scope but it is 2 notches further forward or back on the rail than it originally was. Would that change in basically eye relief ony affect zero? Thanks for any help in understanding

Yes it certainly can cause your zero to shift from a mechanical perspective, I’ve seen vertical shifts usually around 0.1-0.2 MRAD shifts bump forward or back a slot. Additionally it’s going to change your head/body position behind the rifle.

The whole trick with accuracy and precision is consistently doing the same thing, moving your optic around on your rifle and not having a rifle in the same position in relationship to your body is going to be counterproductive to the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Mark it down in a dope boom or note on your phone or something. It needs to go back to the same slot

Know that not all QD are as repeatable as others. My favorite is Bobro engineering, but many good ones out there.

Make sure you use same position and push forward on optic as you tighten, and you should be fine. If the mount contacts a handguard or not can cause a major shift.

I use a little silver sharpie to mark optic placement on a rail. If both topics span the rail in the same area, I dot the rail, then each mount.

Reactions: RedRockCharlie
Thanks for the responses everyone. My scope is on a Bobro but my Holosun has and integrated QD. I lost the picture I had so I guess I will just re verify and take new pictures and/or make marks. Thanks again