• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors QD Suppressor for the A2 birdcage?

ArcticFun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
Looking to find a list of QD supreessors I can use with the A2 birdcage flash compensator. Modifying the A2 is out of the question because I need to be able to turn the rifle back in without it becoming obvious that I used a suppressor on it.

Re: QD Suppressor for the A2 birdcage?

can you take the birdcage off, then put it back on after you use said suppressor... or are we talking USMC daily issue?

Talking about USMC daily issue.

The Gemtech looks promising, it was the only one I could find with the suppressor makers I know off the top of my head.

I think they discontinued them but AAC made a model called the Omni. I have one, it was actually my first suppressor I ever bought. Its a heavy sumbitch but it works and works well.

Thanks for the replies, now it's just time to order one so when I get back to the states I can get the paperwork done.

The A1/A2 bird cage flash hiders were not intended originally to be suppressor mounts and they are not optimum in that role.

Since the suppressor will be fairly expensive anyway, I would recommend you research the topic well and I would also recommend going with a suppressor that has a dedicated, purpose built suppressor mount / flash hider.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think they discontinued them but AAC made a model called the Omni. I have one, it was actually my first suppressor I ever bought. Its a heavy sumbitch but it works and works well. </div></div>

I understand the concept of "not optimal", but as the poster above indicates, it can work, and work well. The number one reason for dedicated mounts, is that they can be sold for profit. Some of the proprietary suppressor mounts on the market are known to provide a broader range of fits, while others are more optimal so the A2 falls somewhere in the middle.

We measured 11 A2 compensators from rifles branded Les Baer, S&W, RRA, Bushmaster, and LMT, and found that they fell into a .0015" range on the diameter between .861 and .8625" on the OD. The rear grooves were all .125-.128" wide. The print tolerates more fluctuation, but a majority of units should be acceptable for suppressor mounting. If a unit is bad, a $6 replacement is a cheap fix.

On one of those comps, mounted to a crush washer, our first model M4-SD had ~1.5MOA POI shift. Other customers have reported ~1.5MOA shift.

The best option that has not been already mentioned in the thread is the A2RA Renegade from SWR.

In all cases, the removal of the crush washer and replacement with shims or a peel washer will be best for alignment.

If you can't do that, the best thing to do would be to get a couple crush washers and re-mount the flash suppressor and check alignment until good alignment is obtained. Crush washers are sort of a roll of the dice- there is no guaranty of even crushing, but in my experience if you remount 1-3 times you should get decent alignment at least once.

The biggest thing with me getting and using the suppressor isn't necessarily for personal use. The one condition I have on using a suppressor is that I cannot in anyway shape or form modify the existing rifle. It's my work rifle so I'm a little limited.

If you can't re-mount the A2, there would be no way to know if the product would be properly aligned so it would be a shot in the dark.

Crush washers do sometimes line up great. Sometimes they don't.

SRT must have had that in mind when they designed the typhoon with atlas mount- the can is ~4.75" long, and has a .315" bore in front (huge really). That costs it some performance in sound and flash, but it would probably be the best bet for a compatible every time without re-mounting a flash hider solution. The harder spec to swallow is weight which is 24 ounces despite the diminutive size.

That suppressor looks like a Halo style mount minus any mechanism for getting a grip on the threaded connector. It is 8.25" long... that's big.

It doesn't specify weight, so that could be pretty hefty, and $1350 isn't very competitive.

After looking at the website it looks like it could have a relationship to STW (or might be STW?). STW used to make a titanium suppressor called the QD223 or something like that- it was a 3 lug- the gallery shows a baffle much like the STW patented baffle.

bullet_strike-1_fs.jpg

No idea, I've shot several comps with the guy who makes them, and have looked at and heard them there. I don't have any connection beyond that, I just remembered looking at one that fit what the OP was looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gem tech Halo mounts over the birdcage </div></div>

Use those at work on 416's. Work good, zero issues with them.

Have a Halo on my Colt 6920. It came with crush washers to replace the peel washers already on the rifle. I just did not want to go through the process, so I replaced the birdcage with a Vortex. Locks up solid and zero issues. Understand the OP cannot replace his flash hider totally, but the changeout of just the washers may be a solution?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stormshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a Halo on my Colt 6920. It came with peel washers to replace the crush washer already on the rifle. I just did not want to go through the process, so I replaced the birdcage with a Vortex. Locks up solid and zero issues. Understand the OP cannot replace his flash hider totally, but the changeout of just the washers may be a solution? </div></div>

Fixed it for you. If you can pull off the A2 and re-time it with the peel washers (you might want to paint them black) I bet no one would notice. It is just another rifle going in and out of the armory.

I think your problem would be...where and when in the hell are you going to shoot your duty rifle with a can on it where no one will notice? I think you have hit the point of diminishing returns. If you get caught with a registered NFA item overseas...well, Devil, that is some bad shit. You have just taken an NFA item out of the country w/o any type of exporting permission from the Dept of State. Not good. Felonious not good. I never got to check my duty rifle out of the armory without some type of mass gathering involved. If you are looking for a can for your duty rifle...stop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silenced America</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you are looking for a can for your duty rifle...stop. </div></div>

Or find someone in your command who likes the idea of having the items and make a unit purchase with COTS or personal funds.

A lot of the military would be really lame with the idea, and say no, but some units have camaraderie and common sense and will do things like that.

We never needed permission to take cans overseas because they were Army property.

In 2005 I met a guy who worked with the Dept of Energy and had brought his DOE Gemtech Halo over seas- obviously he was bringing it back too, so I don't believe he got in trouble, but technically he could have if someone wanted to make a problem out of a non-problem- and that is typically what the government will do if they figure something out.

That guy had his boss's approval and also had brought a DOE infrared gunsight along. It was way higher technology than our PAS-13's- smaller, and worked better. 3-4 years later my Army unit got issued something similar.