• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quad trainers past 200yds???

wksinatl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2001
Atlanta, Ga
You guys who got in on the Sako Quad group buys....I have some questions.

Are any of you shooting up (and past) 200yds. I'm looking for some real deal no Bull Shit info on your results. What kind of groups are you shooting CONSISTENTLY. I'm not looking for a picture of a "wallet target" but a true measure of what the gun will do. What kind of ammo are you using?

I've been drooling over some of the trainer pics.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Keith

Re: Quad trainers past 200yds???

I don't have a quad trainer, however my bolt 22 shoots sub MOA 10 shot groups at 100y with standard velocity ammo. Windage is about half inch in general.

My 200y groups sit around 2.5" for 5 shots, most of the time I end up pulling a shot or two because the stock marlin trigger in a 25N is about a 8lb pull and I haven't screwed with it much since I walk hunt with it.

Glass is Tasco 2.5-10x MilDot and target turrets. Repeatable, I count on it to hit and over about the last 2000 shots I have had no POI issues with it.

2.5" at 200yds consistently? to each their own, but from my experience, at 200 yards with my custom .22 I can get 4-6" groups with high quality ammo depending on how strong the wind is.

We had 17 shooters today with some nice rifles and alot of experience and I did not see one 10 shot group less than MOA at 100 yards. Windage was about 1.5 MOA at best. Elevation, some were a little less, not much.

I'm just saying!!!!

I can see MOA at 100 but 200? thats a long ways with a .22 slightest breeze throws it off course.. But I must say there are some really good shooters so.. hats off to them.

I have a Quad trainer and havent really ever shot much for group except a time or two in the "tactical matches" that just started locally, but I believe we have shot the group stage at 50yards each time, not 100. But, we did shoot mine at 80, 175 and 300 yards this weekend. At 175, hitting a 8x8 gong was downright boringly easy, so much so we started shooting at if offhand. At 300, its a whole different ballgame.

We had a washer that kicked the bucket set up at 300 (we blew it up later in the day with Tannerite...that was neat..oh, and before anyone says anything about making a mess, its MY range, I get to do the clean up, so as long as I am making the mess, its cool). My Sake Finnfire Range didnt have enough elev on the Zeiss to get there so I was holding over about 4 feet but could pepper the front of the washer. With the winds, about a pieplate size spread (aiming at green spots in the trees above the washer!). With the Quad trainer, the NF scope had plenty of elevation so we had it spot on. Smaller group due to better aiming reference and even hit some water filled soda cans. But, it took nothing to blow that little bullet off course and they werent packing much punch when they got there. NONE punched thru the metal of the front of the washer at 300 yards.

FYI, the man behind the trigger on the trainer shooting next to me was a former NRA LR national champion and multi time US Palma team member, so readin wind is his forte. Sub MOA aint happenin at that range in that wind with a 22. Just sayin.....

But, shooting long range with a 22 is fun....lots of fun! Oh, wanna have some fun with the trainers? Set up little green army men at 50-100 yards and have at it. Once you get dialed in you can hit them fairly regularly.

John