• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Quaility of SA 1911-A1 GI 5" green armory kote

scout67

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2008
Bonham, TX
I am looking for a good 1911. I am not looking to spend in the thousands. I would like something for 5 to 6 hundred. It must be a full size 1911 style 45. A friend has a SA 1911-A1. It seems like a good gun but I have not shot it enough to know how good it is. I want to know if others have had problems with this gun and how accurate it is. I am more of a rifle shooter and need all the help I can get with pistols.

Re: Quaility of SA 1911-A1 GI 5" green armory kote

I bought one as a gift to a good friend. It is a simple, minimal frills 1911 that functions great and didn't break the bank. The sights are quite crude but once you get used to them they are very serviceable. It turned out to be a much more reliable gun than my Springfield "loaded" model.

Thanks for the input Falar. I sure would like to hear for someone who has had one for a while and put quite a few rounds through it.

I would get something with dovetail sights.

I had a SA GI for a while. Decent pistol. Wouldn't feed HPs for shit. Seemed to shoot as good as I could out to 30 yards. Mine had a very rough finish.

My advice...

Save some cash and pick up a RIA GI model. Sold my Springfield after buying my RI for $100 + extras. Dead nuts reliable. Crude sights but that's what you're going to get with a GI model. I personally shoot it better than the SA, but it could just be mental. Feeds everything I throw at it. Better finish on mine than the SA I had as well.

I'd go with a SA anyday. I have bought 5 in my life, still have 3, and regret selling the other 2. Any glitches would be slight, and can be ironed out with a good known smith or warranteed by SA. There custom shop is wonderful. They are warranteed for life so you should be able to buy with total confidence.

Get the MilSpec. Lowered ejection port, bigger sights, better cocking serrations, better trigger (shape), not much more money.

Nothing wrong with the GI's, but the MilSpec's aren't much more and come with features that lots have done to their GI's after they've had them a while.

Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like I need to do some more investigating before making a purchase. Lots of good info to think about.

I have a SA Loaded with in OD armorykote. It's a great pistol, that coating is great. I used it for concealed carry for a couple of years and as a USPSA gun this year, and the finish still looks great. The gun runs great with any ammo, too.

As far as the GI model, I can't stand to shoot them due to hammer bite. I have a high grip and a slightly meaty hand, although they aren't overly so, and it gets me every time. You can get a drop-in beavertail to fix it, or get the ears cut and install a standard beavertail. The small sights military-style aren't great, but can be dealt with.