• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quality Factory 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo

Money Waster

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
My buddy just bought a Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor, and is looking for ammo capable of going out to 1200 yards accurately. Berger makes match ammo with a 140 grain hybrid projectile that looks very appealing. He is interested in Lapua brass for reloading, and I don’t know what brass is used for this ammo. We initially talked about starting out with handloads using a small rifle primer case. However, with this being a new firearm, I thought that perhaps it might be better to start out with 100 factory loaded rounds to generate the brass, as powder may be tough to get ahold of currently. I’m not sure.

Anyway, if anyone can recommend good manufactured ammo that provides quality brass, I’d be interested in hearing what it is and who sells it. Peterson brass would likely work as well.

Thanks

Lou

My go to factory is Hornady Match with ELDMs 140s. My gun does not "Love, love" the 147 but its under an inch with the 140. Ive seen good accuracy out of mine with the FGMM / Berger 130 hybrid and if i recall pretty decent speeds too for off the shelf ammo.

There is always copper creek and they load on Lapua SR/LR, Alpha and Hornady.

Reactions: Money Waster
I took a long range course at K&M. The guy in our class who won the match the last day was running a RPR and shooting off the shelf Hornady match 140 ELDMs.

Awesome, thanks for the responses guys. I think I’ll go with the Berger ammo since it has Lapua brass, which is what he really wanted.

Lou

Awesome, thanks for the responses guys. I think I’ll go with the Berger ammo since it has Lapua brass, which is what he really wanted.

Lou
Not sure if they make it in the 6.5cm but for my 260rem the 136gr scenar shot the best out of all of them for me

I bought Berger factory ammo in order to keep the Lapua brass. Now my pet load is that same Lapua brass with 140 ELDs. I tried reloading the Berger 140s, but my rifle is not a big fan. But the same Lapua brass with RL-16 and the 140 ELD shoots like a laser. Better than the same combo with 4350.

I did the same as the OP. Buy Berger 140gn and save the Lapua brass. However I also picked up some Hornady 147 eld match and the Hornady ammo had tighter groups. The Hornady brass is good too. If he’s gonna reload Lapua he needs to remember the small flash holes on Lapua brass. I got my stuff from MidwayUSA. Good prices and fast delivery

Hornady 140 ELDM has been the best in my rifle. I reload the Hornady brass and it has performed quite well. My reloads average less than 3/8" at 100 yards. The factory ammo is almost just as good.

Another vote for the Hornady 140 ELDM. That along with the FGMM SMKs have been fantastic performers in my Tikka.

I like the Bergers as well. I also picked up a 200rd box of American gunner for plinking and initial impressions are good. Didn’t shoot for or measure groups, but I generally ended up making one ragged hole at 100yrds out of the AX. It will be interesting to see how it holds up at distance.

Reactions: Stoweit
I like the Bergers as well. I also picked up a 200rd box of American gunner for plinking and initial impressions are good. Didn’t shoot for or measure groups, but I generally ended up making one ragged hole at 100yrds out of the AX. It will be interesting to see how it holds up at distance.
I have shot to 850 yds with the American gunner ammo 6.5 creedmoor and managed to hit prs type targets .

Prime 130 is lights out for me. Hornady ELDM 140 also shoot well, but prime is a bit better.

The Hornady premium stuff is good. Mine likes 140’s and 147 very well. If he wants good brass, get the Norma 130’s. Great ammo and great brass. The Am Gunner shoots MOA and is great plinking ammo.

PB

I notice no one said they are shooting the new PRIME ammo. Are people having issues with it?
Yeah, I was surprised that no one recommended that route. But as was stated in the OP, he wants Lapua brass. I bought the Berger ammo.

Lou

Peterson brass on the Prime is really nice. Had no problem selling it as I don’t reload. I would try the Berger, but Prime pre buys are such a great deal.

I have a 26" M24 contour 7.5 twist barrel that is a hammer. I use and have great luck with
Berger 130s and 140s
PRIME 130s (Old and New Versions)
American Gunner 140 BTHP
Hornady 140 ELD-M

I seldom use the actual Hornady. Both the Berger and PRIME work noticeably better out of my barrel. The AG from Hornady work amazingly well considering the cost of 80 cents per round. I see little difference between the AG and the ELDM unless you are shooting at > 800 yards which is the longest range unless I drive for 3.5 hours.

American Gunner can be had for $160/200 when on sale. It shoots great and unless you need to go past 1200, its fine. For the price its hard to beat and use the brass for your own loads.