• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quality gunsmiths!

LRB45

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2009
I am looking at getting into long range shooting in the future and was just wondering who are the better most respected gunsmiths out there?

And also which ones are a one stop shop versus one that just does certain aspects of putting together a build?

Thanks

Re: Quality gunsmiths!

Well, the most respected normally have a 1 year or more turn around if they are building personal projects. But there are a few that are great gunsmiths that are respected by some of the bigger names. For example, William Roscoe(wnroscoe) Louisiana Precision Rifles. He's got a great turn around time and is well respected. Then of Course Terry Cross(KMW), Tac OPS, George At GA Precision. I would definitely give William a call at Louisiana Precision though. Best of luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dudeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark Gordon @ Short Action Customs builds very nice and accurate rifles with a very fast turnaround time as long as he is not waiting on parts. Go to www.shortactioncustoms.com To see some of his work just search S.A.C. in here. </div></div>

+1 for Mark!!!!

+2 for Mark G. great guy to work with.

wroscoe, beanland, APA, GAP, Terry Cross KMW. You can't lose with any of these. Just depends on your timing needs.

Mike Bush at Underground Skunkworks & Robert Gradous are both first class!!

lots of good choices circulating here on the hide-

apa(jered is the man!)
gap-their sticks simply kick tail
rws
terry cross(he's swamped but answered my emails and has a hard to find sentinel stock but wow his builds are nice!)

haven't personally dealt with wm roscoe, 7mmAM, sa customs but lots of guys here sing their praises

What I like about roscoe is that he is a one man show. Your rifle won't be going from table to table, person to person.

That is the main reason why I only deal with Roscoe.

I think Terry Cross is still doing spec rifles. Could be wrong. Look at GA Precision, LA Precision (Roscoe), American Precision Arms, Skunk Works, Short Action Customs, R&D, Kirby Allen to name a few. Any of them will build you s first class rig.

If you browse this site for awhile you'll see plenty of examples of top quality smiths and know who to go to.

I have had rifles built from Wasatch Precision Arms, Tac-Ops, and APA and have been very happy with all of them. I am actually torn right now between two of them for a build I am planning right now.....best of luck to you.

Ive been doing work here and there for people. Mostly M40A1's and newer version Marine Corps replica rifles. Much less then most of the major companies and from what i have saw more quality than some. Attention to detail!!! Guess thats a Marine thing.

I would say #1 for Predator Custom Shop in Knpxvilee, Tn. also..Jim and Bob are great guys and I too am on my fourth build from them. 865-521-0625

Here is an up and coming Smith that has already made a name for himself over at longrangehunting.com. He's made some fine rifles for a lot of match shooters and hunters. Very knowledgeable and does an excellent job, I'd easly say he's in the same caliber as GA Precision.
Take a look.
http://straightshotgunsmithing.com/

xdeano

Kirby Allen builds some great stuff I've got a 338 he built that still blows me away everytime I shoot it. He is the man when it comes to the big stuff.

GAP builds topnotch stuff

Chris Mathews Longshotrifles knows how to put them together also. I have been to his place and spent a little time with him great guy. He had some 1000 yard groups that blew me away, If your gonna build a WSM do yourself a favor and give him a call.

+1 for Randy. 1 man shop, been at it for years. Excellent work and answer all questions. Another thing I like is he will listen to you also and do it like you want. The wait is a few months to a year when I had him build mine. He is a busy man.

I have been using Bobby Pitchford of PCG in Waller, Texas for about a year or so and am very impressed. Good prices, excellent work, and knows his stuff.

http://www.pcgguns.com/

Can't go wrong there. I've had great luck with a Hart barrel (from the New York branch).

I like Jered Joplin with APA. I own a custom that he did for me thispast year, and in 20 years of shooting it is without question the most accuracte, well-built piece of high-funtional art that I've ever ownned.

-Jason
Minnesota