• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quality Junk Rifle... Kinda

JuniperEyes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2008
Goldsboro, NC
Question for the Hide? I am feeling the need for a Semi-Auto in .308

I have the .556 and precision rifle and pistol stuff covered.

Do not need precision accuracy but good god I cant abide a shit shooter

Ammo will be primarily FGMM 168

Realistic range is 400 and in

Set and forget optic with at least 5mil ...no interest in dialing or repeatability

10x optic is plenty... could just as easily use 6 or 4

Get a PSA, see how it shoots, if it leaves something to be desired, get a criterion barrel. That’s about about as budget/quality as it gets.

Federal gold medal match around here is running close to $2/per round. In a cartridge that could go many thousands of rounds while maintaining match accuracy, the rifle is the least expensive component of the equation.

Federal gold medal match around here is running close to $2/per round. In a cartridge that could go many thousands of rounds while maintaining match accuracy, the rifle is the least expensive component of the equation.
I get that I pay for their “ammo plus” but still…$2/rd is way too high.
7A5F113A-1631-47B2-B73F-2FACDC4DAA57.png

Reactions: 338dude and simonp
Not looking many thousands of rounds at all. I am familiar with ballistics of 168. Just a semi auto platform with an optic capable of holding zero and having a reticle with hold overs for 400 and in

Reactions: 338dude
Palmetto has some just fine platforms thats for sure. How would you set it up?

Your rifle to set up. For only 400 yards you could use a 16” barrel if you wanted compactness or a 20” if you ever wanted to push past 400 and length didn’t matter.

I'll second the PSA PA-10. My Buddy got the 18", I got the 20", and I think I came out ahead. The two stage (Schmidt) trigger makes shooting it a lot more pleasant.

PA-10 20"

Greg

Reactions: JuniperEyes
Of coarse some 147 use is on the menu as well. Vheck my join date Im not a new guy. Just wondering if you were to get a semi platform with optic for 400 and in what would you get

I’d get an 18-20” and throw a scope of your choosing on it. Personally I would figure out what you plan to do with it and then pick the optic. A low power scope is fine for silhouette sized targets to 400 but if shooting smaller targets then get more power.

I’d probably be looking at a 26” SFAR if Ruger offered in in a rifle length gas system
26 sounds awesome with a 155... I could spend into oblivion making that work! Seriously though, an 18 or 20 shit rifle. Out to 400 or so. Give it a 100yd zero and use holdovers.

I’d get an 18-20” and throw a scope of your choosing on it. Personally I would figure out what you plan to do with it and then pick the optic. A low power scope is fine for silhouette sized targets to 400 but if shooting smaller targets then get more power.
Long time Rob! Hope you are well. I have all the precision stuff. (well kinda 20yr old anyway)! Just a simple setup... auto, optic, even could do with an Aimpoint with gradations. Its not like 400 is hard.

Well, let’s go correct that down to 16” with rifle gas…
Lets go 18 or 20 and call it good! Im not looking to change the dynamics of a 168SMK. Looking for boring 2650fps repeater with 400yd capable optic. Shit... its hard to find more than 400 around here. Just have some spare cash and looking a new toy, (This aint for Professional Use)

Lets go 18 or 20 and call it good! Im not looking to change the dynamics of a 168SMK. Looking for boring 2650fps repeater with 400yd capable optic. Shit... its hard to find more than 400 around here. Just have some spare cash and looking a new toy, (This aint for Professional Use)
Then take a look at the SFAR. It also comes in a 20” rifle gas.

Any interest in building one? Love playing legos…
Building is certainly within the question. Rather just buy built. (Shit Rifle) I really do not have large frame tools nor am I interested in buying any. Building is fun but I dont shoot anymore. Just want something to zero and put away.

Reactions: roosterpig
Any experience with one? What optic would you put on it? I would be an ACOG slut with that rifle
No. But, putting a low eye relief optic on a light weight rifle in 308 win doesn’t sound like any kind of fun. I’d probably be looking at 2-3 on the low end and up to 15-18 on the high end.

No. But, putting a low eye relief optic on a light weight rifle in 308 win doesn’t sound like any kind of fun. I’d probably be looking at 2-3 on the low end and up to 15-18 on the high end.
I will put an A2 stock on it for sure. No issues with eye relief. Ive been out of it for while and just wanting input on a .308 repeater

Yeah if that’s what you want then get something like a Burris RT6 1-6 and toss it on top of an 18” PSA and go have some fun.
Thanks Rob... exactly what I am looking for. Some things are better than others and I have not kept up in a while.

Im sure a two stage Geisselle will end up in this at some point.
Way overpriced and unnecessary IMO. The RRA 2 stage is fine and way cheaper. I’m not a trigger snob though so others may say different. The CMC 2 stage is really nice and used to could be had for like $130 on sale. That’s what’s in most of our rifles.

Way overpriced and unnecessary IMO. The RRA 2 stage is fine and way cheaper. I’m not a trigger snob though so others may say different. The CMC 2 stage is really nice and used to could be had for like $130 on sale. That’s what’s in most of our rifles.
Don’t forget about the MBT-2s 😁

A lot of trigger for $90

I bought a PSA 308, swapped the barrel to a Wilson combat 338 federal and put a larue MBT2 in it. It's honestly a pretty decent rifle for what I have into it.

Of course PSA has sales all the time, MBT2s are like $90 and if you want to upgrade the barrel Wilson Combat clearance sales are pretty good value.

I bought a PSA 308, swapped the barrel to a Wilson combat 338 federal and put a larue MBT2 in it. It's honestly a pretty decent rifle for what I have into it.

Of course PSA has sales all the time, MBT2s are like $90 and if you want to upgrade the barrel Wilson Combat clearance sales are pretty good value.
I bought a Remington 7mmRM once and shot the barrel out. It was a Sendero. Bought an A5 and a Brux bbl and all that. Lots of Retumbo and Bergers. Whats your point?

Fuck off dude... Im not buying your trigger

He wasn't trying to sell you a trigger, the people above are just trying to get you going in the right direction. You're the one on here asking for help remeber!! Maybe you should be the one to fuck off and figure your own shit out... that's the point!

Last edited:
I bought a Remington 7mmRM once and shot the barrel out. It was a Sendero. Bought an A5 and a Brux bbl and all that. Lots of Retumbo and Bergers. Whats your point?

Point being PSA is decent for the money with room for improvement if wanted. The 308 barrel before I replaced it was about 2-2.5 moa with fmj ammo and around moa with better ammo.

If you get a PSA plan on getting an adjustable gas block. I had one and it was so over gassed it would leave my shoulder black and blue, and absolutely wrecked the brass. The AGB reduced the felt recoil by half, stopped the bruises, and left me with reloadable brass.
It had it shooting Moa with 168 smks, but it was a two Moa rifle with factory ammo.

If you get a PSA plan on getting an adjustable gas block. I had one and it was so over gassed it would leave my shoulder black and blue, and absolutely wrecked the brass. The AGB reduced the felt recoil by half, stopped the bruises, and left me with reloadable brass.
It had it shooting Moa with 168 smks, but it was a two Moa rifle with factory ammo.
My buddy has a 18” factory psa AR10. Came from factory with AGB. Think it’s a 4 position or something Ike that

He wasn't trying to sell you a trigger, the people above are just try to get you going in the right direction. You're the one on here asking for help remeber!! Maybe you should be the one to fuck off and figure your own shit out... that's the point!
I dont need pointing... but I am still not buying his trigger, What part about shit fifle are you not understanding?

A
My buddy has a 18” factory psa AR10. Came from factory with AGB. Think it’s a 4 position or something Ike that
A gasser .308 left your shoulder black and blue???? Poor thing

SFAR sounds good. SWFA 1-6

can't believe anyone is recommending psa here. I mean What the ever loving fuk!????!@!!

Either build or buy an Aero/Ruger SFAR/Sig 716i or go LMT but for the love of God, don't buy any garbage from psa

Fuck off dude... Im not buying your trigger
Hahahahahaha. I should have known not to try to help someone that would make such an absurdly stupid Fudd post. You’re on here trying to flex over a trigger while pontificating about buying a PSA with a SWFA scope. I don’t sell triggers Simple Jack.

Last edited:
SSA-E is 150 in the PX or PA when they sell it on sale. Not sure it makes a difference but it’s what I use and can vouch for.

can't believe anyone is recommending psa here. I mean What the ever loving fuk!????!@!!

Either build or buy an Aero/Ruger SFAR/Sig 716i or go LMT but for the love of God, don't buy any garbage from psa
No no no. OP said he can’t build bc he doesn’t have “large frame tools” and isn’t going to buy any. I guess all he has is small frame tools…..small frame punches, small frame castle wrench, small frame hammer, small frame oil, etc…. You know, all of the usual small frame tools.

I’m not sure if there’s room on the servers but I’ll try to list all of the large frame specific tools he’d need to build a large frame rifle just in case he decides to go that route.
F9FA3D12-583A-4871-8652-157DF55CCC45.jpeg

Annnnd that’s it. It’s one $40 tool.

He’s so clueless he doesn’t even realize that his posts are proof that he is clueless.