• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quality of Pulsar Helion 2 XP50 viewfinder and still image? Buy now or wait?

monony

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2023
texas
I need to take pictures and video of animals moving around semi-arid desert brush. How is the Pulsar Helion 2 XP50 Pro Thermal Monocular image quality vs. AGM TM35-640 Handheld Thermal Monocular? Someone said the still image from Xp50 is 1024 pixels on long edge. Is this correct as I thought it was a 640 pixel sensor? The TM35-640 is 720x564 pixels.

Saw some reviews on Pulsar Helion 2 XP50 and wanted to know how the viewfinder is compared to TM35-640. With the AGM it is difficult to see through the narrow viewfinder and I kinda get a headache when I look through it for more than a minute as there is some sort of curvature on the viewing field kinda like a cheap pair of sunglasses.

I prefer to buy the best if it is worth it. Does the Helion 2 make it easier to spot animals in certain dense environments because of better viewfinder and sensor? I am viewing from several hundred feet and it is hard to differentiate due to all the desert brush.

IS this a bad time to buy the Helion 2 XP50 as Pulsar has announced Merger LRF XL50 at 1024 sensor? Will this be a year when monoculars widely transition to 1024?

If there are any alternatives under $4k let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikefraz
I need to take pictures and video of animals moving around semi-arid desert brush. How is the Pulsar Helion 2 XP50 Pro Thermal Monocular image quality vs. AGM TM35-640 Handheld Thermal Monocular? Someone said the still image from Xp50 is 1024 pixels on long edge. Is this correct as I thought it was a 640 pixel sensor? The TM35-640 is 720x564 pixels.

Saw some reviews on Pulsar Helion 2 XP50 and wanted to know how the viewfinder is compared to TM35-640. With the AGM it is difficult to see through the narrow viewfinder and I kinda get a headache when I look through it for more than a minute as there is some sort of curvature on the viewing field kinda like a cheap pair of sunglasses.

I prefer to buy the best if it is worth it. Does the Helion 2 make it easier to spot animals in certain dense environments because of better viewfinder and sensor? I am viewing from several hundred feet and it is hard to differentiate due to all the desert brush.

IS this a bad time to buy the Helion 2 XP50 as Pulsar has announced Merger LRF XL50 at 1024 sensor? Will this be a year when monoculars widely transition to 1024?

If there are any alternatives under $4k let me know.
Trying to make sense of this post. I work at Pulsar USA and my personal handheld is the Helion 2 XP50 Pro. Really hard to know how to respond without knowing the model # of the AGM. They are a couple of TM35 models; however, if it's a 640 model, it has 640 microbolometer sensor resolution. 720 is not sensor resolution (maybe display? -- I dunno). That said, our original Helion 2 XP50 was a 640/17 with 40mK NETD and image boost. Our latest, the Helion 2 XP50 Pro, the one I use, is a 640/17 with sub-25mK NETD sensitivity, 50Hz frame rate, 50mm objective lens, enhanced F1.0 germanium glass and 2,000-yd detection range. I believe the AGM uses a 1024x768 OLED display where we use a 1024x768 AMOLED display. Yes, we unveiled the Merger XL at SHOT Show and it will definitely have a 1024 microbolometer sensor. With the prototype on the SHOT Show floor, even at 20x we could see details like the hairs/scalp on someone's head. It's a GREAT bino! Also, in Germany at the 2023 IWA Show, we unveiled the Telos. The Telos LRF XP50 is SICK! It is upgradeable and boasts sub-18mK NETD sensitivity! It also has 640 sensor resolution and an integrated laser rangefinder, accurate to +/- 1 yd, out to 1,000+ yds. I wouldn't expect it until later in the year though. I hope that helps!

Reactions: mikefraz