• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Quality shotgun O/U

DynamicAccuracy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2017
Mexico, MO
Never been a shotgun guy but I'd like to have a nice over under for when I shot trap or sporting clays with friends. If I had my choice it'd be a 12ga. All black with carbon fiber furniture. Never seen one like that but black stained wood furniture would look slick too. Any suggestions would be nice. Not looking to spend more than $2000-2500 unless my budget is way off. I know some shotguns are stupid expensive.

Are you looking to compete in trap or just have a good time? There is a difference.

Reactions: Modoc
Are you looking to compete in trap or just have a good time? There is a difference.
Just have a good time. Occasionally for work parties well go shoot sporting clays and rifles and all I have is long range bolt guns so built a fun, nice AR pistol for close stuff and want a shotgun to play with.

Just have a good time. Occasionally for work parties well go shoot sporting clays and rifles and all I have is long range bolt guns so built a fun, nice AR pistol for close stuff and want a shotgun to play with.

img_0419.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

I always thought these all weather red labels were cool/unique. Problem is they are getting old and many have been rode hard and put up wet. Cant think of any other quality doubles with black furniture. On second thought, I believe browning did/does make some o/u guns with synthetic stocks.

I always thought these all weather red labels were cool/unique. Problem is they are getting old and many have been rode hard and put up wet. Cant think of any other quality doubles with black furniture. On second thought, I believe browning did/does make some o/u guns with synthetic stocks.

I REALLY like the beretta sl2 carbon but heard they were crazy money

You can probably find a good synthetic now. Guys are starting to use doubles as ducks guns so there are a few out there built to be beat on. CZ makes one I think, about $1200 as I recall. There's a browning wicked wing that is camo, but they may have your standard black.

There's a few O/U snobs around here that'll tell you anything less than $5000 is shit and anything but fancy wood is blasphemy. That's fine.

Get what you want, it's your gun. I think for what you're looking for $2k should be plenty.

Reactions: Modoc
You can probably find a good synthetic now. Guys are starting to use doubles as ducks guns so there are a few out there built to be beat on. CZ makes one I think, about $1200 as I recall. There's a browning wicked wing that is camo, but they may have your standard black.

There's a few O/U snobs around here that'll tell you anything less than $5000 is shit and anything but fancy wood is blasphemy. That's fine.

Get what you want, it's your gun. I think for what you're looking for $2k should be plenty.
Yeah I know shotgun guys can be pretty snobby but I'm not gonna pay 5k for a gun that fires 200 pellets lol that not worthy of big money unless it's inlaid with gold leaf and has some exotic wood or something. I want something that's reminds you of something john wick would shoot trap with but was built as a concept by Ferrari lol

• Haha
Reactions: GenericBadGuy
Well respected, price dependent on the quality of wood and engraving, is a Beretta Silver Pigeon. There’s various models and I’m not an expert so do some research. But, for a trap/clays gun you’ll never be snubbed for running one of these…especially if you are a pretty good shot.

Yeah I know shotgun guys can be pretty snobby but I'm not gonna pay 5k for a gun that fires 200 pellets lol that not worthy of big money unless it's inlaid with gold leaf and has some exotic wood or something. I want something that's reminds you of something john wick would shoot trap with but was built as a concept by Ferrari lol
This might be as close as you are going to get for under 2500. Have the stocks sent off and hydrodipped with whatever carbon fiber look you are after.

I never fit well with the Berettas, I always did with the Browning Citori models.

So, I run a 20 gauge citori, for ducks, geese, and whatever else.

I had mine dipped, if for some reason you want the whole thing black/black carbon, you may be able to just get it dipped. I had mine dipped because I don't like taking care of tools and my shotgun gets wet, at times will sit in water, mud, on and on, the dipping has protected it so far, several years later.

Had my 458 lott cerakoted and put a synthetic stock on it for the same reason, I don't like having to baby tools.

Yeah the SL2 Carbon Launch edition models that were made available were listed at $30,000 in the U.K. you aren't going to find "all black with carbon fiber stock furniture" with a puny budget.

For your price range a Browning Cynergy or Citori in the cheap black plastic might be your best option.

If your raised your price to $3900 you could buy a Beretta 694 or a Browning 725 Pro which would be a better deal for clays. Beyond that you won't look rediculous talking John Wick shooting an over and under with fudds in real life.

I would say go try out a few guns, I have a Browning 725 that I love, I tried shooting a browning and a beretta that were comparable and while I liked a few things aesthetically about the beretta better shooting wise the browning was the hands down winner for me

Reactions: BCX

They were some of the biggest pieces of shit ever made and only non shooting fudds would ever reccomend them. Like shooting a 2x4.

Beretta 68X...any of them. Actions are all the same. Its the Timex Watch of OU shotguns...takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

So, forget the carbon fiber or black stock...or be a philistine and paint Walnut black.

But the Beretta 68x series of shotguns are unbeatable and will not lose value.

Cheers

Op, I have been a competitive shotgun shooter most of my adult life. Grew up trapping as a kid. Have owned just about everything out there. So now that's out of the way.

Find a beretta 6xx gun. The newer shit is not as well built as the older stuff and are poorer values. I would look for a 682, 686 or 687 with sporting barrels in 30 to 32". They will have a vent rib, shoot 50/50 and parts and accessories are all over the place and cheap. There are a few places like coles that are better than beretta when it comes to service or repairs.

Browning are clubs. The newer 725 is a bit nicer but not worth the money. There are a few other Italian brands worth looking at like Rizzini but most of the newer guns have gotten stupid expensive with inflation. The bennelli guns are atrocious.

If you must have new and don't want a beretta, the franchi instinct is a nice gun and can even be had in case coloring.

The best deal out there is to find a Verona LX980. It's basically a rebranded Zoli Kronus which is a $6k gun today and among the very best shotguns in the world you can buy.

Stay away from Turkish and Spanish guns.

When it comes to shotguns be it semi or over unders.....beretta dominates for a reason.

The downside to Beretta is it's shit customer service. Buying direct from Coles at least you have Coles Gunsmithing that will do factory warranty work for you.

But to the OP you might also want to look at Beretta A400 Black for a "modern" styled semi shotgun that has a carbon fiber rib and can be found under $1900.

I was also going to suggest the Beretta A400. Great clays gun, just not an O/U if that's what you're really looking for.

I bought a CZ redhead premier all terrain. It has suited me just fine and while it may not be carbon fiber outfitted, it is cerakoted which will help in maintaining it if you go into any weather.

I don’t blast thousands of rounds from one, so I set my cap to 1500 bucks and honestly think it will do what I ask of it.

Reactions: Ric O'shay
Here’s a Browning Cynergy Wicked Wings w custom Kryptec cerakote on the stock and forend. Waterfowl or look cool on the sporting clays course when all the fine Italian o/u are hiding for cover 🤣!
79AC752F-CACE-4B2E-893F-B58778EA0480.jpeg
And yes my daughter's cat will retrieve 😉

Last edited:
I have a Browning Cynergy Euro Sporting Composite like the one below. Bought when they first came out because it fit me like a glove. I put a lot of weight in the stock, as it is a bit nose-heavy. I suggest looking for a used one if it fits you, as they never got popular due to looks. It shoots really well. But don’t buy anything that does not fit you well. My 2 cents.

They never got popular because they were shitty shotguns marketed to people who don't know anything about over unders. They do not swing well and have horrible balance. No one is going to spend that kind of money when they can get a 686 for similar money and it will last forever.

I would look for a Benelli Super Sport. 30 inch barrel and fake carbon fiber. Its in your price range.

If you can, go demo a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 1 and a Browning Citori CX, or CXS. Shoot them back to back, then pick the one that feels best. If You prefer a semi auto look at a Beretta A400 Xcell sporting or a Fabarms L4S sporting. Again, try to demo if possible. If you must have new, then Cole’s or Joel Etchens are the places to buy from.

Reactions: nitsuj
Shotguns are as personal as women. And, guys are more (irrationally) passionate about the guns. I’ve got a Ruger all weather. The composite stock and stainless barrels make it nose heavy. It feels heavier than it is, and with 28” barrels really is as heavy as a 32” over/under. The hardest part about using it for games is the automatic safety. Forget to trip the safety before you call pull and you’re either rushing or taking a lost bird.

My son’s gun is at the gunsmith and he used my gun at nationals. He had his best finish to date and there were a lot of master class shooters looking up at his score from where they finished.

He shoots a browning CX. I’ve read and heard the “2x4” comments before. It is true that the Beretta 6xx guns have a sleeker look to them, but he has shot the berettas and prefers the Browning. Shoot what fits you.

The Ruger is NOT a comp gun. You WILL shoot it to pieces if you shoot competitively. Mine went back to Ruger (and they MUST go back to Ruger according to the Briley gunsmith) after my son split the barrels from the side rib at practice. But, guys at the SC fields will walk right by a Zoli to eye-fuck an all-weather. And, when it’s 40 deg, pissing rain, and all the high dollar gun guys are in hiding; the all weather is saying “bring it on.” And, wrap the barrels in some camo tape and hit the duck blind. Note that the Ruger shotguns have long been discontinued and factory repairs rely on whatever stash of spare parts are available.

20,000+ rounds on the Browning and the locking lever is starting to bounce open during recoil. I’d say that’s a pretty good run, and I’m told it is to be expected.

When someone asks me what I would recommend, I say Beretta A400, or some flavor of competition beretta o/u. My son should be a browning salesman, and there are a number of very successful browning shooters on his team, based on his recommendation.

I agree with your recommendation for a good Berretta O/U. But the “Browning are clubs” statement is BS. Also, Berettas don’t dominate Kolars, Perazzis, etc.
Beretta sells more over under shotguns that Kolar perazzi kregioff blaser and zoli combined.

Tell me you know nothing of sporting over unders again.

Shotguns are as personal as women. And, guys are more (irrationally) passionate about the guns. I’ve got a Ruger all weather. The composite stock and stainless barrels make it nose heavy. It feels heavier than it is, and with 28” barrels really is as heavy as a 32” over/under. The hardest part about using it for games is the automatic safety. Forget to trip the safety before you call pull and you’re either rushing or taking a lost bird.

My son’s gun is at the gunsmith and he used my gun at nationals. He had his best finish to date and there were a lot of master class shooters looking up at his score from where they finished.

He shoots a browning CX. I’ve read and heard the “2x4” comments before. It is true that the Beretta 6xx guns have a sleeker look to them, but he has shot the berettas and prefers the Browning. Shoot what fits you.

The Ruger is NOT a comp gun. You WILL shoot it to pieces if you shoot competitively. Mine went back to Ruger (and they MUST go back to Ruger according to the Briley gunsmith) after my son split the barrels from the side rib at practice. But, guys at the SC fields will walk right by a Zoli to eye-fuck an all-weather. And, when it’s 40 deg, pissing rain, and all the high dollar gun guys are in hiding; the all weather is saying “bring it on.” And, wrap the barrels in some camo tape and hit the duck blind. Note that the Ruger shotguns have long been discontinued and factory repairs rely on whatever stash of spare parts are available.

20,000+ rounds on the Browning and the locking lever is starting to bounce open during recoil. I’d say that’s a pretty good run, and I’m told it is to be expected.

When someone asks me what I would recommend, I say Beretta A400, or some flavor of competition beretta o/u. My son should be a browning salesman, and there are a number of very successful browning shooters on his team, based on his recommendation.
“Shoot what fits you” is spot on.

I have approximately 10k on my cynergy, and puchased it solely due to fit. And I agree that the composites are nose-heavy, which is why I added over a pound inside my stock.

686’s are fine. If it fits get one. If not, keep looking.

@DeathBeforeDismount….. I agree that beretta’s are good shotguns, but majority sales does not ensure fit. And yes, I have owned or shot most of what is availble. But theOP has a price range, and should shoot everything he can to find what fits and swings for him before dropping coin IMHO.

Always go w a gun that fits and hits POA. I prefer a nose heavy Cynergy to all my semi Beretta and Benelli I have shot on the sporting clays course and in the field.. usually the only gun that keeps running when it’s down under 10 degrees and the snows blowing, plus it can double as a kayak paddle..

Not sure on the model but didn’t Beretta have an issue w safety’s and the silver solder failing on the mono block? Which I was told was not repairable! I personally would use caution buying a used Beretta o/u

@DeathBeforeDismount….. I agree that beretta’s are good shotguns, but majority sales does not ensure fit. And yes, I have owned or shot most of what is availble. But theOP has a price range, and should shoot everything he can to find what fits and swings for him before dropping coin IMHO.
Typical profile of an over under shooter is someone on the more affluent end with access to try lots of guns and probally a bit more educated than your average gun owner. They will talk with fellow high volume shooters for recommendations.

Beretta dominates the shotgun world. Semi autos.... Beretta has owned this space for 30 years. There are more beretta semi autos in comps than all others combined.

On the O/U side, they are the cheapest, acceptable over under built today to a quality that will hold up under heavy use. Now you can also get into the ASE90/DT10/DT11 which hold their own against the P, Z and K guns. Or you go up into the SO class that rival Purdey and H&H, ect. No other manufacture makes shotguns from $2k to $500K. At that point its all shooter preference, how much money you have, how much dick swinging you want to do and what you think will make you shoot the best.

Now you could make the arguement that some of the other italian houses like fausti or rizzini ect, or browning or older SKB guns were servicable and they all are. Even alot of the nicer Verona's were decent guns. That has more to do with the italian guild system of building guns and high level jappanese manufacturing.

This is why we tell them to buy a Beretta 6XX.

Its built to a level of quality other guns today just arent. They are more reliable than brownings or other similar guns in price range.
Parts are cheap and plentiful, with a few good shops who can fix or replace anything.
Choke tubes are cheap and plentiful.
They shoot well and are not huge lug boxes like the Citori and other similar priced guns.
When it comes to shotguns, Made in Italy means something. They just don't make shitty guns, especialy is Brescia.
They hold their value very well. Even more reason to buy something used. They are free to shoot and you may even make money when you flip it.

This is why Beretta O/U sells. People who shoot shotguns know they are a good value and reliable. I have a handful of Beretta shotguns , even though I am more of a Zoli dude. But to a newer shooter, there is no better choice.

So, I come at this from a slightly different place since I shoot trap almost exclusively and my experience is with trap guns However, the difference between a trap gun and a sporting clays gun are not all that great. The notion that Berettas rule and Brownings are "lug boxes" (whatever that means) is just complete nonsense. I own and shoot a Citori and have probably put 5-6000 rounds through it. Gun looks brand new. I know a bunch of people shooting single barrel Browning shotguns that are 30 years old and have 50,000+ rounds through them. They are still great shooters. Honestly, I see more Brownings on the line than Berettas.

That's not to dis Berettas. Also great shotguns. But they are different enough that some will feel that Berettas are a better fit, while others prefer Brownings.

And yes, depending on your budget, there are a bunch of other alternatives. Perazzi, Kolar, Krieghoff, Zoli, Caesar Guerini, etc. My primary gun is a Ljutic that's 30 years old and that I bought used. I've put 15,000 rounds through it and have no idea how much it was shot before I got it. Never had a misfire and the only issue I've ever had is that cheap Winchester shells tend to stick and not eject. But that's an easy fix - don't shoot cheap Winchester shells.

And if you think the Browning swings like a 2x4, you're really not going to like the Ljutic.

God if this is his Beretta word salad, I would hate to wade through dismount's fan letters about Zoli. 🙉

Everything you have stated is true.

The Browning cynergy is a well made O/U, can be found in the desired price range with synthetic stock, and parts are widely available. Browning Citori is another popular alternative, for the same reasons.

Beretta’s and Brownings both have good support, and both can handle heavy use. And the OP can likely rent both in various models at any of the bigger venues. And then it boils down to fit, feel, and personal preference. So I think we agree.

@74gtf100 go burn some ammo and let us know what you select. Good shooting!

Reactions: DynamicAccuracy
As much as it pains me to agree with DBD, for the occasional shooter that isn’t going to go through the effort of getting fit, and wants a gun that will draw some oohs and ahs from other occasional/recreational shooters, be reliable, be reasonably economical, and hold its value, a Beretta 6xx is hard to beat. Just be careful when you put it on the station gun rack. It will look just like 4 of 5 others on that rack.

Not the same situation and maybe not what you're looking for but I just went through some research looking for a SXS and ended up getting and older Simson. Anyway in that process I found they were made at the same factory as Merkel, and if you look around there are some older Merkel O/U's that aren't horribly priced (fractions of a new one anyway).

Beretta sells more over under shotguns that Kolar perazzi kregioff blaser and zoli combined.

Tell me you know nothing of sporting over unders again.
Hahahaha! You tell me. Remington sells a lot more 700s than AI/Barrett/Cadex, et al combined. They certainly don't dominate. And the top clays shooters are shooting...?
There's a saying here on the Hide...
But I do agree that a Beretta would be a good choice for the OP's price range.

Last edited:
Hahahaha! You tell me. Remington sells a lot more 700s than AI/Barrett/Cadex, et al combined. They certainly don't dominate. And the top clays shooters are shooting...?
There's a saying here on the Hide...
But I do agree that a Beretta would be a good choice for the OP's price range.
Different markets and users and Remington wasn't selling shit while they were bankrupt. Remington is a low level manufacture. Beretta is a premium manufacture. Chrysler vs Mercedes. I already explained this above.

Tell me what semi auto shotgun is more popular than Beretta in the clays games.

Tell me what over under shotgun is more popular in all of shotgun sports.

So, I come at this from a slightly different place since I shoot trap almost exclusively and my experience is with trap guns However, the difference between a trap gun and a sporting clays gun are not all that great. The notion that Berettas rule and Brownings are "lug boxes" (whatever that means) is just complete nonsense. I own and shoot a Citori and have probably put 5-6000 rounds through it. Gun looks brand new. I know a bunch of people shooting single barrel Browning shotguns that are 30 years old and have 50,000+ rounds through them. They are still great shooters. Honestly, I see more Brownings on the line than Berettas.

That's not to dis Berettas. Also great shotguns. But they are different enough that some will feel that Berettas are a better fit, while others prefer Brownings.

And yes, depending on your budget, there are a bunch of other alternatives. Perazzi, Kolar, Krieghoff, Zoli, Caesar Guerini, etc. My primary gun is a Ljutic that's 30 years old and that I bought used. I've put 15,000 rounds through it and have no idea how much it was shot before I got it. Never had a misfire and the only issue I've ever had is that cheap Winchester shells tend to stick and not eject. But that's an easy fix - don't shoot cheap Winchester shells.

And if you think the Browning swings like a 2x4, you're really not going to like the Ljutic.
IN Trap, where geriatrics rule the roost on fixed income and you don't need a gun with any real handling characteristics you can get away with a boxy 2x4 like browning. Not to mention half the crusty old fucks are using a superposed, not a citori because thats what they lusted after as a kid.

Single barrel shotgun........Anything will work. Why are there harldy any in Sporting clays? Because they are shitty field/sporting guns compared to oither options in the same price range like....................Beretta!.

Requirements for a field gun are very different from those for a dedicated competition gun. A skeet shooter will fire more rounds in a year than most hunters will in a lifetime. For national honors, minimums are (or at least used to be) 1000 registered targets each in 20ga, 28ga, .410 bore and 1200 in 12ga. That's SCORED targets. I was a wannabe - never made minimums for state or nationals teams and I was shooting 10-12k shells a year. One of the Olympic competitors I knew (international skeet is VERY different from American skeet) shot 500 practice targets EVERY WEEK (he had a number of sponsors...).

Running that kind of volume through an inexpensive field gun will reduce it to scrap in a couple of years.

Some of what has been written here is truly laughable. I've been out of NSSA skeet for quite awhile, but when I was most active back in the '90s, the following statements applied:
  1. Beretta 68x models were a solid entry-level shotgun, dependable and lasted forever. One of the guys I knew started with a used 682 and ran tens of thousands of shells through it. I shot a 687EELL for a few years before moving up to Kolar. But most serious competitive shooters moved up. Not all. But most.
  2. I had the honor of shooting with and refereeing for several world champions - Mayes, Kirkman, Brown, several others. They all ran Krieghoffs, except Brown, who had a modified Beretta that weight about 15 pounds. Later, about the time I stopped competing, Kolar had made inroads with the top-rung shooters.
  3. Very, VERY few people used Brownings, mainly because their standard stock configuration (even on clays and skeet models) caused a lot of muzzle flip. I remember one lady competitor dropped out of her first shoot after 100 targets because her Browning Citori Skeet actually bruised her cheekbone to the point it bled (the stock had been modified to fit her). I had the same experience - guns felt great to hold but kicked like a spooked mule.
  4. A statement was made that a Browning started unlocking under recoil at 20,000 rounds. That seems odd to me... Browning is a shadow of what it was when their A5s were made by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium, but 20k rounds means "barely broken in" to a Kolar, Krieghoff, Beretta. I had ~75k rounds through my Kolar when the hammer springs were replaced (like an oil change). The smith said the firing pins were still good to go (they can get pitted over time by blowby from primers) as were ejector springs.
A couple of people recommended Beretta Silver Pigeon as an over/under field gun. I wouldn't disagree with that. When my wife was shooting, a few of the ladies in her classes bought them in 20-gauge - against instructor recommendation - because they were under-7-pounds-light and looked really nice. But they were Field Guns, nice to carry, but beat the living shit out of those women in the course of four rounds of skeet... all dumped the guns or sold them for something else.

Same with Benelli. Nice field gun, but unpleasant for high-volume shooting.

All the autoloaders - dominated by Beretta and Remington "in my day" - required a lot of maintenance (compared to O/U guns) and spare parts.

The really cheap guns - Stoeger comes to mind - I've seen them split, gall, or otherwise catastrophically fail in just a few hundred rounds.
--------
My point is simply that it isn't fair to compare workaday field guns to dedicated competition guns. For a hunting and "shoot for fun with my friends," running a few hundred shells a year, just get what you can afford and fits.

Requirements for a field gun are very different from those for a dedicated competition gun. A skeet shooter will fire more rounds in a year than most hunters will in a lifetime. For national honors, minimums are (or at least used to be) 1000 registered targets each in 20ga, 28ga, .410 bore and 1200 in 12ga. That's SCORED targets. I was a wannabe - never made minimums for state or nationals teams and I was shooting 10-12k shells a year. One of the Olympic competitors I knew (international skeet is VERY different from American skeet) shot 500 practice targets EVERY WEEK (he had a number of sponsors...).

Running that kind of volume through an inexpensive field gun will reduce it to scrap in a couple of years.

Some of what has been written here is truly laughable. I've been out of NSSA skeet for quite awhile, but when I was most active back in the '90s, the following statements applied:
  1. Beretta 68x models were a solid entry-level shotgun, dependable and lasted forever. One of the guys I knew started with a used 682 and ran tens of thousands of shells through it. I shot a 687EELL for a few years before moving up to Kolar. But most serious competitive shooters moved up. Not all. But most.
  2. I had the honor of shooting with and refereeing for several world champions - Mayes, Kirkman, Brown, several others. They all ran Krieghoffs, except Brown, who had a modified Beretta that weight about 15 pounds. Later, about the time I stopped competing, Kolar had made inroads with the top-rung shooters.
  3. Very, VERY few people used Brownings, mainly because their standard stock configuration (even on clays and skeet models) caused a lot of muzzle flip. I remember one lady competitor dropped out of her first shoot after 100 targets because her Browning Citori Skeet actually bruised her cheekbone to the point it bled (the stock had been modified to fit her). I had the same experience - guns felt great to hold but kicked like a spooked mule.
  4. A statement was made that a Browning started unlocking under recoil at 20,000 rounds. That seems odd to me... Browning is a shadow of what it was when their A5s were made by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium, but 20k rounds means "barely broken in" to a Kolar, Krieghoff, Beretta. I had ~75k rounds through my Kolar when the hammer springs were replaced (like an oil change). The smith said the firing pins were still good to go (they can get pitted over time by blowby from primers) as were ejector springs.
A couple of people recommended Beretta Silver Pigeon as an over/under field gun. I wouldn't disagree with that. When my wife was shooting, a few of the ladies in her classes bought them in 20-gauge - against instructor recommendation - because they were under-7-pounds-light and looked really nice. But they were Field Guns, nice to carry, but beat the living shit out of those women in the course of four rounds of skeet... all dumped the guns or sold them for something else.

Same with Benelli. Nice field gun, but unpleasant for high-volume shooting.

All the autoloaders - dominated by Beretta and Remington "in my day" - required a lot of maintenance (compared to O/U guns) and spare parts.

The really cheap guns - Stoeger comes to mind - I've seen them split, gall, or otherwise catastrophically fail in just a few hundred rounds.
--------
My point is simply that it isn't fair to compare workaday field guns to dedicated competition guns. For a hunting and "shoot for fun with my friends," running a few hundred shells a year, just get what you can afford and fits.
People think that a 20ga will have less recoil. This is true if its the same mass as a 12ga gun, which it almost never is. So they end up with a ligher 20ga that kicks more than a 12ga. That is why I am not a huge fan of the 20ga unless you are slug hunting, where it actually is an advantage over 12ga. 28GA is pretty much a 20ga payload with half the recoil.

If you ever get a chance, pick up one of the 686/687 silver pigeon 28ga built on the baby frame.

About 5lbs, hardly any recoil and a blast to shoot. 3/4 oz payload so really not that much less than a 12ga 1oz target load. Great for hunting and on the sporting clays course. Ammo is just stupid expensive.

Its the last shotgun I will sell.

1. A statement was made that a Browning started unlocking under recoil at 20,000 rounds. That seems odd to me... Browning is a shadow of what it was when their A5s were made by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium, but 20k rounds means "barely broken in" to a Kolar, Krieghoff, Beretta. I had ~75k rounds through my Kolar when the hammer springs were replaced (like an oil change). The smith said the firing pins were still good to go (they can get pitted over time by blowby from primers) as were ejector springs.
Bouncing out of a range golf cart at ‘full send’ may have played a part. A gun entrusted to a teen shooter lives a different life than many.

Regardless, I could bin a CX 4 times and not be into Kolar money. The fact is that the OP is looking for a cool looking recreational shotgun for “work parties.” Caesar, Kreigoff, Kolar, Zoli, Blazer, Perrazi, and many others can all just sit back down into their overstuffed leather chairs. And, anything from Beretta not starting with 68 can take a seat too. You’re all way out of the price range. The OP isn’t going to wear out any gun shooting a couple rounds of skeet once per quarter.

How do you guys like the Blaser for a clays only gun? Any issues?

IN Trap, where geriatrics rule the roost on fixed income and you don't need a gun with any real handling characteristics you can get away with a boxy 2x4 like browning. Not to mention half the crusty old fucks are using a superposed, not a citori because thats what they lusted after as a kid.

Single barrel shotgun........Anything will work. Why are there harldy any in Sporting clays? Because they are shitty field/sporting guns compared to oither options in the same price range like....................Beretta!.
Yeah yeah, us trap shooters are just a bunch of decrepit old men with poor eyesight and slow reflexes who shoot trap because we can't hang with you young, chick magnet sporting clays shooters. In fact trap is so easy you really shouldn't be allowed to use a shotgun at all, just a sling shot and whatever rocks you can find lying around.

The truth is that, as others have pointed out, having a good fitting gun is critical in trap even if "you don't need a gun with any real handling characteristics" so I suspect that's even more true in sporting clays. And Brownings and Beretta's just fit and handle differently. OP should try both and pick the gun that just feels right.

• Haha
Reactions: GenericBadGuy
How do you guys like the Blaser for a clays only gun? Any issues?

Which one? As far as the F3 goes, it’s a very good gun that seems to be held back by the stock design for many people. Some find them to have more felt recoil that’s others do, more so than other brands. Don’t know much about the F16.

You are going to run into challenges trying to combine need for a good quality O/U but also meet your aesthetic goals.

Put my vote in the “buy a Beretta and quit worrying about carbon fiber” category.