• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quantico built M40A1 value

Hijeffrey95

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
Whats the value of a Quantico built M40A1 on a return smear stock with the original serial numbered bottom metal that matches the serial number in the stock channel, 6 digit action, Hart early contract barrel with RTE markings, correct trigger, replica base with 1" rings, gun book signed by builder and the test rounds logged in by the builder from PWS Quantico?

One just sold in the marketplace for $4200 I think but it was not in a return stock. You would have to pry my PWS built A3 out of my cold dead fingers. Do you have to sell it?

We don't exactly have an idea of the value yet, thats why I'm asking people who have more experience and knowledge on this

Return stock with matching bottom metal and certificate $1000 plus easily.....
Correct serial number range 6 digit action $650 plus.....
Built at PWS by current 2112 priceless!!!

Last edited:
The problem you are going to have in determining a value is the lack of comps. Since the rifle you are looking at is a rare bird there is not a lot of data out there on sales. The only thing you can really do is look at what the competent smith's out there are charging for similar build and add some multiplier based on build location and documentation. So knowing that a GAP is $3700, how much more is the fact that it was built in quantico by a 12 worth to you?

Built at PWS by current 2112 priceless!!!

For the M40A1 I think we've reached the point of no return, where I'd rather have a retired 2112 who actually worked on M40A1s do my build. I doubt many, if any presently active 2112s have worked on M40A1s recently enough to have in memory the finer details that make it distinct.

Don't forget that Eric Reid is still there to help with those finer points :).

For the M40A1 I think we've reached the point of no return, where I'd rather have a retired 2112 who actually worked on M40A1s do my build. I doubt many, if any presently active 2112s have worked on M40A1s recently enough to have in memory the finer details that make it distinct.

I agree with many here......soooooo hard to put a value on one. I have six different builds from PWS over the past two years. Complete with books, build logs and sheets with all the stamps and signatures of the builder as well as Erics proof and function check signatures (A5,A3,A1, 2 VN M700's and a CQBP .45).I've tried to put values on them and I am clueless.
My A1 and my VN M700 have the most take off parts. The only thing not take off on my A1 is the new Hart barrel and the correct range 6 digit.
I personally think like many other collectables, its all dependent on how much someone feels its personally worth to them and how much someone is willing to pay for one.
I shiver when I think I have into them all.

If you are diligent and gather the parts yourself, you can build it yourself for $3k ish
(What I paid - Stock $850, Barrel $332, Action $500, Mount $350, Smith Work by GAP $1120)
If you have to have it yesterday, you're looking at closer to $4k
The last Eric Reid build I saw sell here about a year ago went for $2800

Don't get all caught up in the hoopla. I would save $1k+ if I could. That's a lot of boolets!!

Good luck,
DT

If not getting caught up in the "hoopla", which is what draws most of us to trying to build these sticks, why waist your time in effort in building an A1 when you can build something else?
The effort and time in attempting to try and recreate something authentic is what many of us draw to. Collecting, trading, puchasing over years and years and then tryin to find someone such as a current or former 12 to build it is what makes you appreciate it. If I was wanting something just to shoot or wanting something yesterday I sure wouldnt put my time and effort into building an A1.
And whoever got Eric's build fro $2800 got one hell of a "steal"!!!!

If not getting caught up in the "hoopla", which is what draws most of us to trying to build these sticks, why waist your time in effort in building an A1 when you can build something else?
The effort and time in attempting to try and recreate something authentic is what many of us draw to. Collecting, trading, puchasing over years and years and then tryin to find someone such as a current or former 12 to build it is what makes you appreciate it. If I was wanting something just to shoot or wanting something yesterday I sure wouldnt put my time and effort into building an A1.
And whoever got Eric's build fro $2800 got one hell of a "steal"!!!!

Sorry should have been a little more clear. 'Hoopla" meaning spec when it isn't actually issue. IE - action, barrel, mount, etc etc. Pretty much everything but the stock. Even the bottom metal matching doesn't matter. It gets restamped. And DONT get me wrong, I definitely appreciate spec and embrace spec/authentic.

Also "Hoopla" of current 2112 builders. There are at least 4 builders right now you can get to build that are current/past 2112's. Mark Hall at GAP included. Shit there was a "SPEC" M40A1 built by 2112 on gunbroker last week (not return stock) that didn't sell at $2300.

The M40A1 is my favorite rifle. There is no hoopla when it comes to collecting military memorabilia. I just cant stand watching people get ripped off because it is "OFFICIAL SNIPER RIFLE BUILT BY OFFICIAL SNIPER!!" And I think most here agree with me. Was just saying be careful with your money and there are always ways to save some money by simply doing some homework.

Luck,
DT

BTW, I was the one to buy the Eric build. I have 2 Eric builds, and one Hall build. All are great chooters. My favorite part, like you, is collecting trading purchasing over the years :)

DT partner, I "completely" agree what you are saying...being careful with your money.
I have been fortunate enough to have had the same builder build all six of my guns in house PWS. I agree, as you, I know a number of 2112's out in the civilian market now building amazing rifles for extremely reputable companies.
My personal joy has also been having the opportunity to be there to see a couple of them in the vises being built. Along with these rifle/pistols comes with all of the USMC documentation with all signatures. Build sheets, parts Inventory sheets, Proof and function test sheets, QR codes on some of the rifles and the Gun books with all the stamps and signatures. "To me" owning the PWS files on these build is just as important (again to me) as having taken the time to collect "all" authentic parts but the receiver and barrel to include my scopes.

I can say one thing, having my rifles built there has been far more cost effective and personally gratifying and has taken waaaay less time (six guns in just under two years) than if I was to have contracted them out to these sought after Precision Rifle building companies.
The attention to detail on these things has been amazing and has been an all out amazing experience.

And DT, I by no means meant to be disrespectful if it was taken that way.

Attachments

• Matt 3.jpg
    Matt 3.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Matt 11.jpg
    Matt 11.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Matt 1.jpg
    Matt 1.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Matt 22.jpg
    Matt 22.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: D_TROS
I am with rim on this. The only difference between my PWS built M40A3 and one in the fleet is the serial number on the receiver. I would never pawn it off as a USMC issued gun, but as rim mentioned it has the documentation and pedigree that you can't get on the civilian side. It's an honor to be able to have guns built by the kids up in Quantico.

Clicking the "like" (the one thats not there...lolol) tab on your post scat...lol

I just sold one for the same price as GA PRECISON charges for a new one. Exact same price. Not on a return stock,but brand new. It had scope the scope mount already installed. I also listed one on gunBroker last year in a return stock with a mst-100 and the bid went to $9800! If you want a Quantico built M40A1 contact me. I can help

Last edited:
I just sold one for the same price as GA PRECISON charges for a new one. Exact same price. Not on a return stock,but brand new. It had scope the scope mount already installed. I also listed one on gunBroker last year in a return stock with a mst-100 and the bid went to $9800! If you want a Quantico built M40A1 contact me. I can help

First things First!

I cannot agree more from the previous post regarding the quality of work, attention to detail, and professionalism of the 2112's that build M40's up at Quantico. I too have a few builds myself and will never part with them. Just the amount of experience and craftsmanship that is built into each and every rifle is priceless and is something that shouldn't be overlooked. I too have a connection up at Quantico if anyone is looking for a good rifle build.

I'm interested in having someone at quantico build an A1, who's got the point of contact?...sidebar question; Anyone ever heared of Dave Clark 2112

Dave is a retired 2112. I can't vouch for his work personally but the guns they have been selling on gunbroker look nice.

Any particular opinion on having an A1 built by a retired 2112 vs. at 2112s at quantico ? ... Regardless of cost . And would a retired 2112 have limitations to obtaining authentic parts? Note: I am not questioning skills.

Any particular opinion on having an A1 built by a retired 2112 vs. at 2112s at quantico ? ... Regardless of cost . And would a retired 2112 have limitations to obtaining authentic parts? Note: I am not questioning skills.

A retired 2112 may have more experience with the A1 because of the era and 2112's at Quantico today are only taught how to build A5's. Another consideration is the individual 2112, a few go beyond the criteria to learn more and become familiar with all models of the M40. As for obtaining authentic parts it again depends on the individual because when it comes to obtaining parts its more about who you know not where you are.

The funny thing here is you all talk about 12's like you are one of us. Eric Fucking Reid taught me howto build M40A1's... And i have built a "few" since. I have built M700's as well along with A3's. So please watch what you say. If you dont know for fact do not open your mouth.

I'm confused about what your post is referencing.

The funny thing here is you all talk about 12's like you are one of us. Eric Fucking Reid taught me howto build M40A1's... And i have built a "few" since. I have built M700's as well along with A3's. So please watch what you say. If you dont know for fact do not open your mouth.

I'm a 9/11 era scout sniper who used the m40a1, got out in 2002... My inquires were based on my own personal interest in having possession of something very dear to me. Having said that, I am indeed interested in the opinion of an actual 2112, retired or not, on what the suggestion would be on how to go about acquiring an A1... Having someone outside of quantico build it or have quantico build it...what would bring me closure on this pursuit? Consider that fact before providing your honest opinion... And any 2112 knows what that relationship between a scout sniper and his rifle is like so I'm looking for that same feeling when I open the pelican case to it...I wouldn't mind getting an A5, but first things first... My M40A1.

I'm a 9/11 era scout sniper who used the m40a1, got out in 2002... My inquires were based on my own personal interest in having possession of something very dear to me. Having said that, I am indeed interested in the opinion of an actual 2112, retired or not, on what the suggestion would be on how to go about acquiring an A1... Having someone outside of quantico build it or have quantico build it...what would bring me closure on this pursuit? Consider that fact before providing your honest opinion... And any 2112 knows what that relationship between a scout sniper and his rifle is like so I'm looking for that same feeling when I open the pelican case to it...I wouldn't mind getting an A5, but first things first... My M40A1.
I hear you on all fronts bro, and I felt the exact same way when I was after mine. I have a GAP/Reid built M40A1 with a USO MST-100, purchased second hand here on the Hide last year. It is exactly what I was looking for - my old friend back in my hands. I don't care that it has a USO scope or a G series receiver, because it has the same feel when I get into position and the same view of the reticle I've burned into my retina over countless days of watching shitheads.

I believe so long as it's built by a 2112, current or retired, it will have that PWS/RTE touch a M40A1 requires. There's a certain something about it being built in the PWS shop though, a bit of an aura comes from that building. The very same tools, dies and punches to make the markings we all cherish on our rifles does have an impact on the perception of the rifle. My other thought is helping out a current AD Marine put food on the table and keep a better roof over his family's head. To me that is always a very important aspect because I remember those days all too well...

I would not hesitate from having another built by GAP or other builders though, provided it's being built by a 2112. That much I'm adamant on. I was fortunate enough to come across a Reid build, but I would be equally as happy with a Hall build from GAP. There's some other '12s out there plying their trade that I would not hesitate to have build me one, but I would first research what they're turning out now and what timelines they are keeping, along with ensuring they can keep it to what I carried.

If it were me doing another but this time from scratch, I would be hitting up the guys in Quantico. Just because, well, it's Quantico.

S/F Brother. "Compromise is Failure"

Well said... There's something indeed with having it come out of quantico, just like my rifle did. Having said that, there's also a special feeling with having something come from a salty retired 2112... Now that the a1 is considered a relic!!!!! Arrh such a hard thing to decide!! I hate being so analytical! But I guess that comes from years of mission planning lol. I guess the best thing to do is contact quantico, does anyone have a POC ?

If anyone has a good contact with a 2112 who is taking on builds at the PWS, It would be much appreciated.

I am local, govie, and shoot at quanitico on the regular (be there this sunday in fact).

I would love to have a m40A1 built.

I would contact [MENTION=70617]BAH2112[/MENTION] from above, seems he is a 12 at Quantico right now according to his profile. Should be a good start anyhow. Otherwise, call GAP for the other route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[MENTION=70617]BAH2112[/MENTION]... Would you mind sending me a private message so I can reply? I didn't see the option to send you one.

[MENTION=74712]rlm8541[/MENTION] Who built your A1 at Quantico? Do u still have the POC?

Last edited:
Bah2112 (Ssgt. Brett Hahn) from on here is who built all of my guns. He is an absolute artist at building anything you are looking for.......It his absolute passion and it shows through his work in every way. He feels you out to see exactly what it is that you are looking for and listens with patience to your input. I have an A5, A3,A1, and 2 Vietnam M40's and even a USMC CQBP .45 with all books, build sheets, parts sheets, proof and function test signatures, stamps, .......etc from him built with nothing but take off parts except for the receivers...even the barrels on the VN M700 are take offs....He can attest.
His attention to detail is absolutely amazing. You can not understand the craftsmanship Im talking about until you have one in your hands. You find the parts and he will build you a piece of art.

BAH2112 might have come off a little brash on here but like I said its because it is his passion and as Im sure you have seen there are people that tend to comment about 2112's like they have actually worked in the shop. Some have never even been to the shop or even in the Corp. (not pointing fingers at anyone here)
Dont get me wrong.....like with anything. You are going to have some that are better than others. But if you have made it through the rigorous training they go through (some of there testing is to actually build the tools they use to build these guns out of nothing but a block of steel and a blueprint and the specs they have to be within are absolutely amazing) Understand, i am no machinist or engineer but have spent ALOT of time with these guys.
If they have made it through the training to become a 2112. They can build you a hell of a rifle. With a little input as to what exactly you are looking to build and ( I hate this word when associating it to the A1) to what spec/time period of A1 they will build you what it is you want. Eric Read is still in that shop teaching these 2112's as well speak so, the product you are receiving from these 2112's young or old will be amazing quality!

BAH2112 might have come off a little brash on here but like I said its because it is his passion and as Im sure you have seen there are people that tend to comment about 2112's like they have actually worked in the shop. Some have never even been to the shop or even in the Corp. (not pointing fingers at anyone here)
Dont get me wrong.....like with anything. You are going to have some that are better than others. But if you have made it through the rigorous training they go through (some of there testing is to actually build the tools they use to build these guns out of nothing but a block of steel and a blueprint and the specs they have to be within are absolutely amazing) Understand, i am no machinist or engineer but have spent ALOT of time with these guys.
If they have made it through the training to become a 2112. They can build you a hell of a rifle. With a little input as to what exactly you are looking to build and ( I hate this word when associating it to the A1) to what spec/time period of A1 they will build you what it is you want. Eric Read is still in that shop teaching these 2112's as well speak so, the product you are receiving from these 2112's young or old will be amazing quality!

*Raising a beer in a salute to the words of a friend I have never met*

Well said rlm8541....

Thank you W8...Just callin' it how I have seen/experienced it Sir...And Cheers to you!
It has been an absolute honor over the past couple of years to have been given the opportunity to have built the relationships i have with these Marines and a few civilians that have helped greatly along the way. (To me) the reward of being able to have had these sticks built there is un measurable.

More pics to come soon!

Well...I actually didn't think he was being brash but rather just being a Professional in his art... Can't be mad at that! Lol.
I appreciate the feed back, he seems to have only commented once on this thread and then dropped off, so do u know if he is still at quantico or is he working from his shop? Do u know if Reid still builds them from quantico ?

How the fuck can you email someone on this site!!! I'm getting emails but don't know how their doing it...I hope no one thinks "dang should we trust this idiot with a rifle" haha ... I seriously can't figure it out.

How the fuck can you email someone on this site!!! I'm getting emails but don't know how their doing it...I hope no one thinks "dang should we trust this idiot with a rifle" haha ... I seriously can't figure it out.
Click his name, "Private Message", type away and he should get it.