• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about 16" barrel w/ 6.5 Grendel

FCS

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2005
ABQ, NM
Is anybody running a 16", mid-length gas system 6.5 Grendel?

I would like to know what bullet weight and velocity you are getting?

Pondering a short 6.5 Grendel build, would like to know what kind of velocity to expect before spending the $.

Re: Question about 16" barrel w/ 6.5 Grendel

AA reports this:
http://www.alexanderarms.com/grendel_ballistics.pdf
16" barrel on pg 2. Note that is probably shot in summer. I'm running a 18" Satern barrel and getting 2475 at 30* temp from Hornady Factory 123gr. At 75*, I would think my 18" would do 2500-2525 with same ammo.
I think I can push the 107gr SMK at 2600-ish out of my 18" and that is probably what I will end up reloading for...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anybody running a 16", mid-length gas system 6.5 Grendel?

I would like to know what bullet weight and velocity you are getting?

Pondering a short 6.5 Grendel build, would like to know what kind of velocity to expect before spending the $. </div></div>

Velocity in the 6.5 Grendel is a bit misleading. The entire philosophy behind the round while in development was "Start slow, finish fast".

I wouldn't base my decision solely on muzzle velocity. Even "fast" for a Grendel is on the slow side for many other rifle rounds.

a 14.5 will do all I ask of it--try Hornady 95gr VMax or any of the 107gr'ers depending on varmint or target---a quality chrono is on my list but Bill Alexander or Steve Satern or the new Hornady load manual has excellent info--I have lots of AR15's
but a short barreled Grendel is my go-to truck gun for anything that comes up---if I could only own 1 it would probably be a 16
or 18, but love the handiness of a short AR in/out of vehicle,
and hey--who on this owns just 1 of anything!!

What powder and how much are you running with the 95 V-max?
Same questions for the 107s.

I have a friend who is running a 12" SBR version in conjunction with NV and suppressor. I think he is getting around 2300fps with 123gr Amax's. I don't remember what powder he uses.

I'm running a 16", but have not chrono'd anything yet.

I have a 21" barreled 6.5G that nets me 2980 fps with 95 V-max and 2620 fps with 120 Berger.

I'm curious to know actual velocities that guys are seeing from a 16" Grendel.

Very interested to get some chronograph data from your 16", 6.5G. Powder and bullet information would be great also!

I've got some chronograph data from a 6.5 MUTT, 16" AR.

85 Sierra HPs are running @ 2675 fps and ging me 0.75 MOA or touch better. Only tested at 100 yards, need to push that out a bit farther next trip to range.
100 Nosler BTs are running 2400 fps and giving me 0.75 MOA or touch better. Again, only tested out to 100 yards.

Still need to test 120 Nosler BTs for accuracy but looks like 2150 to 2200 fps is reasonable for velocity.

Goal for this upper was to have a legal cartridge for hunting in state with 6mm minimum requirement for deer, fit in an AR platform and run with a standard bolt/magazine for shots out to 200 yards.

Any reason to think 100 Nosler BT @ 2400 is inadequate for deer sized game <200 yards?