• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Question about 1911 CCWs

ocherp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
I was wondering how many of you carry a full size 1911 as your daily CCW, is it practical, possible, comfortable? I know a lot of it is dependent on the size of the person for one, but for those of you who do, what are your thoughts? I've been shooting 1911s for years and would rather try to carry a 1911 over glock, sig, kahr, etc.

Re: Question about 1911 CCWs

I sometimes carry a 1911 but not a full size. I think the full size is too heavy and large so I carry a compact. (I have carried a full size a few times but it's not my 1st choice)

I cannot provide any input from personal experience, since i dont have a CCW license.
I do have two good friends that have carried 1911s for many years and never would replace them for any compact or "plastic" gun.The 1911 must be one of the easiest guns for minor work adapting it as a more comfy CCW if so desired.
Regarding the matter of holster and outfit, a Glock would require the same cover as a 1911.
Allthough I dont have a CCW, I do have holsters, and I am hooked on the 1911.
After trying plenty of different options I personally settled for a quality leather rig, strong side outside the pants.
Depending on your AO (temp etc) an inside holster would maybe be better, anyway the 1911 is in my opinion no bulkier than the Glock or Sig (assuming that you ment full size versions and not the compacts of course)
I actually find the 1911 singlestack way sleeker than any of those fullsize with staggered mags...at least in the hand, never brough out the measuring tape...
After all its a matter of personal preferences.

I'm in the same boat potentially and would like to hear what people use/do regarding full size 1911 concealed carry.

I've carried every day every where for about the last 9 years; 95% of that is with a steel government model.

Couple thoughts:

Carry what you shoot best - I mean that is why you have one with you, right? If it happens you'll likely be starting from behind the curve so why stack the deck against yourself anymore, right? And on that note, for most folks (unless they have thrown a metric shit ton of lead down range) that means carry a full sized gun - longer sight radius, gravity, death and taxes type stuff - absolutes. Commander sized guns are as short of a slide and barrel as what those folks that make folding money teaching people how to defend themselves and building 1911s for those types would ever consider recommending - i.e. be wary of the 3" 1911 and those that speak favorably of them. Back to commanders, while sexy looking they have a shorter sight radius, but no real weight savings. They do have more muzzle jump and they do sit slightly different in your hand b/c it isn't as nose heavy. And since the grip isn't any shorter, for IWB carry (which is best for concealment) there is no advantage to a commander but there is a downside.

- Comfort - get a good belt. Leather, poly reinforced, even a riggers belt - whatever. Wide and stiff. Dress around your rig. Buy clothes with your rig - may have to buy bigger. If you wear a suit or slacks - get it tailored with your rig on and get a patch sewed on the lining of your jacket where it makes contact with the butt of your gun. Buy a good holster. I'm a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 fan but there are other similar models from other vendors that are worth having. As with most any thing worth having in the firearms world, unless you stumble on a used one or a stocking dealer you'll wait 6 - 18 months for a good holster. Spare mags - 1. Carry spare mags. The weak link is the mags so it is prudent to carry spares; not mention that the capacity is limited. 2. I carry 2 spares full of 230s partially b/c I am a believer in two spares but also because it balances out the weight of that steel government on the other side.

1911s in general - 1911s are great to carry b/c both the weapon and the mags are thin. If you want one to bet the farm on you need to spend a fair amount of money. If you don't already own a capable 1911 (and no IMHO a fresh off the line mass produced 1911 isn't) you might want to look around for a gently used quality gun. You'll pick it up for about what a new mass produced gun runs. Very few folks shoot the ever living shit out of anything and a good steel 1911 should be good for 100k - 150k before it is truly junk. AL framed 1911 are very nice to carry. Some day I will own an AL framed government. I have an AL framed Commander and it is noticeably lighter. AL frames are not as durable and are susceptible to frame damage in the feed ramp area from certain types of mags (CMCs particularly).

Good luck

STI makes a 1911 style 9mm 7rd capacity in the mag. Good price too at like 800. Smaller than the emp. I think it's called an LS9

I don't carry a "full size" 1911 but I ve been toting my Officers model on my hip for the better part of 20 years. I use a Bianchi 3S that snaps on the belt and has a thumb break. I've never been a "shorts" kind of guy so it doesn't look unusual to have a heavy duty leather belt on my jeans. In the summer time I'm prone to leave my T-Shirt untucked but pulled over my cell phone. Amazingly enough with the shirt material bunched up over the phone it rather effectively conceals the .45 which rides right above my wallet.

As I transition to my new job where "dressier" pants and shirts are required I have not yet hit on a suitable combination of cloths and gun. I am seriously considering a Ruger CLP?? in

Ulp! 380.

Not sure I'm happy about that but to have something vs having it in the safe is prefered. I guess.

Cheers,

Doc

I own two subcompact Glocks (30SF) but find a full-size 1911 far more comfortable to carry in an IWB holster (for which I use an Alessi PCH).

I've carried daily for as long as 16 hours. Don't even think about it. Occasionally carry an OM size when dress dictates. The OM is eaiser to conceal, but I've rubbed elbows with countless LEOs and, other than those who know me personally, none have ever asked.

I'm not a big guy, but I've never had problems concealing a 1911. As Mo mentioned, good belt and holster. I'm careful about bending down, but other than that, no worries. Even if they noticed a bulge, the average person would think it's a cell phone.

In the past I have carried a full size steel frame for a couple of years, five days a week.

I feel that the belt and holster must work together as a system.
Mine was made by Lou Alessi (CQC, I think.) It's an OWB setup but I was required to wear a jacket anyway. If you go this route have a tailor add some heavier fabric in between the lining of your jacket to effectively prevent printing.

Bill

I carry one sometimes. I prefer to carry my HK PSP or G19, though.

Doc,

A Ruger LCP or KelTec P3AT in the pocket and a S&W 342 on the ankle can make one feel a little more comforted in the absence of what one would carry if one could!

I like to carry any of my 1911s OWB in winter, as a covering garment makes it easy to conceal. For IWB, in this heat and humidity, I'll sweat through the stainless, parkerizing or melanite (the three diferent finishes in question) and then the tears I'll shed will complete the rust orgy...So I go with my compact polymer pistols in the warm, close confines
blush.gif

BTW, the M&P .45 is nearly as thin as a 1911 and holds 3 more rounds!

I was struggling with this idea as well. I've had a few full size 1911's and typically have ccw'd a glock 27. I was considering picking up a 4" officers size 1911 for ccw.

So a couple of our local stores have a lot of 1911's to choose from and I've spent a couple days there trying out different 1911 sizes and what I found is that while weight and sitting comfort might be a tiny bit better on the shorter barrel 1911's printing and such is pretty well the same with them all. The 3.5" are nice, but I've yet to see one that runs 100% included some of the most expensive. Also I found that the officers frame especially if it's bobtail'd or rounded in the grip, is too easy to heel and I don't shoot them as well. I thought the bobtail'd frames would print a lot less without the sharp corner, but at least in my trials it didn't seem to matter, if you moved in the right way to print with the normal frame the bobtail printed as well, maybe not quite as much.

In fact since they are so thin, honestly I can conceal a full sized 1911 as well as my 27, if not a bit better as I think the 1911 is a tiny bit thinner. Slim grips help even more if you have medium/small hands and they can reduce the width of the weapon up to 1/4".

As others have said having a good holster, that fits your body if you are skinny as a rail, the full size might print easier front to back. If you are really skinny, some of the wider IWB holsters might look/feel weird because they are too wide. If you are wider, the narrow ones also feel/look weird. Belt/holster combo and wardrobe with ccw in mind is key. You can find heavier material shirts that print less, the same is true of pants/shorts.

Also putting the double mag pouch on the opposite hip is a great tip it balances out your profile. Many times the biggest key to someone carrying is not the weapon itself printing, but that the person looks noticeably asymmetrical from the front/rear. Of course no one that isn't looking for that will probalby notice, and if they do again they think it's a cell phone, ipod, whatever.

For those that are really interested don't forget about an Officer's frame and a Commander Slide. I think Colt (CCO model) still makes one and maybe Les Baer (Stinger model). A good smith can put one together for you as well; with great parts and good mags it should be an outstanding carry gun.

My thoughts is if you cant swing a full size 1911 due to size or comfort level then it should be a mid size ie. Glock 22. For every day carry I would apt for the Glock. Although I love the 1911 the Glock has the capacity + the 40SW round.

Now that I have just contradicted my own handle, If I were to grab a gun in the night with all the mags in the room I would grab the .45 1911. Just to point out that the 1911 should ONLY ever be in a .45 any thing else is just wrong. My own personal experience with carrying a pistol of any sorts is its not comfortable at all. I have tried all kinds of holsters and they all rid my waist and rub me wrong. So its a lot of how your built and where the pistol rids.

Even though Mo Zam Beek would advise you to be wary of me, I carry a Springfield Micro Compact. 7+1 of CorBon 230's in a size I like. The pistol will fail to return to battery after 60 or so rounds, but is 100% under 50 without cleaning. If I need more than 50 shots I have no paddle in my trip up the creek anyway.......
I also occasionly carry a Gov't model in a Kydex IWB holster. Not too bad comfort wise, but not the #1 choice either.

Honest answer-you may catch me often with the Springfield, but you never catch me without my KelTec P3AT. 380 CorBons beat a gun left at home any day.

One model that I really would like to find a sample of for my collection would be a Springfield Compact-LW alloy Officer's frame with a Commander length slide. I just haven't come across one when I've had the cash handy.

A Commander in my opinion has no advantage to a Gov't, as the butt is the part that prints most anyway, not the barrel.

Sober - you, I can make an exception for.

I personally would not depend on something that changes characteristics after 50 rounds.

Doesn't mean I am correct.

And so everyone understands - I didn't mean to come off as ass. If someone is really interested in 3" 1911s check out someone like Hilton Yam's thoughts on them instead of mine.

Good luck to all

You are 100% correct that the 3" models are the least reliable of the 1911 clan.

I just wish I could find a replacement recoil spring assembly for the Micro that would up the poundage a hair. My 3" isn't the only 1911 I have that needs a bump on the back of the slide every once in a while when dirty, but its easy to overcome with a pound or two heavier recoil spring.

I sometimes carry a full-size 1911 in winter when it's easy to dress around it. For me, the barrel length is easy to hide, but the grip is just too long to keep hidden when wearing just a t-shirt over it. My solution; carry a "Compact" 1911 during summer months. The various "compact" guns are essentially the shorter-grip Officers frame mated to a Commander-esque 4" or 4.25" barrel and slide. Easy to hide with enough cycle time to be reliable, and still carries 7+1 with proper mags. Typically, the compact rides in a Minotaur M-Tac holster sold by Comp-Tac.

I really strongly agree with the excellent responses here by MZB and 1911TD and others. I've found carrying inside the waistband the most comfortable with the 1911 compared to anything else I've tried and carry a full size 1911 regularly. Well, maybe a Ruger LCP is more comfortable but certainly not as comforting (per C.S.) For me anyway, by far and away the 1911 is the most comfortable full size weapon to carry due to the relatively thin width of the firearm. For IWB I like the royal guard or summer comfort Galco and OWB, a Del Fatti I managed to locate from an Oregon dealer. Between my commander size and full size models there is no appreciable difference in comfort (since the length of barrel and slide make no real significant difference to conceal-ability and isn't the part of the gun you notice when carrying, generally). Despite saying that, if I ever ran across a combination of an Officer's Frame and Commander Slide 1911 in person I would undoubtedly purchase it. I just never see them. Sig also makes one if I'm not mistaken. I also carry two spare magazines with 1911. When not carrying a 1911 I've opted for carrying a Glock 22. Its not more comfortable though, at least to me. I've taken to never shooting any of my sigs or HK's anymore finding they created inconsistent muscle memory issues and now stick to training with and carrying in the 1911 and Glock platforms only. Daily concealed carry with a 1911 is very practical, possible, and comfortable and, in my opinion, John Moses Browning got it right over a 100 years ago.

I never liked Glocks, the grip angle was always wrong for me and I end up shooting high. I have carried a government model for 10 years, every day. In the warmer months I wear a t=shirt and an over-shirt with either a pancake holster or SERPA, or a Milt Sparks Summer special (That I found in the used/cheap holster bin at a gunstore years ago) with a longer t-shirt over it. Never had too many issues except wind trying to blow my overshirt open on occasion. Non-carriers aren't like us though, and have little concept of situational awareness, and don't notice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Non-carriers aren't like us though, and have little concept of situational awareness, and don't notice.
</div></div>

True, but I still scare myself sometimes when I look down and see the cuff of my pants hung up on an ankle holster or my shirt hung up on the grip of my pistol.

With a Leatherman multi tool (There's room in that pouch for a spare KelTec or LCP magazine BTW) and a cell phone on the belt, it is a little easier to squirrel a away a pistol there too.

Also, a nice thing about the 1911 mags is they are so thin, pocket carry is often a simple option.

Not to hijack the thread, but........

I find the comments on the feed reliablitity of officers length 1911's interesting. I've done all the work to mine and I honestly cannot remember the last time I've had a FTF. Then again I can chamber empty cases from the magazine (that was my feeding standards when I was building them for fun and profit).

I do have installed a solid recoil guide that has dual springs and requires removing about 3/32" from the back plug housing on the slide for instalation. I think the use of 2 lighter springs in conjunction is the key to making these stubby guns run.

DSC05132.jpg

Cheers,

Doc

I primarily carry my G27 IWB and a S&W 642 in my weak side pocket. In the cooler months and while hunting I do carry my full size 1911 IWB with 230gr Gold Dots or Ranger SXT. The 1911 isn't much more difficult to carry ergonomically, it's the butt down by the magwell that will usually cause the first sign of printing. A bobbed tail by a good gunsmith can take care of this issue.

Unless you get very lucky on your intial purchases, you will end up having a small pile of holsters hanging around for different seasons, hangduns or throughout the testing phase and eliminate a few and sell them.

It's a free country...but haivng said that, carrying a full size 1911 as a CC makes about as much sense as carrying a W.W. Wood Bowie knife Especially in our 2009 "world of plenty."

The 1911 enjoys a great reputation and for many, they can't see anything else. For them, plastic is off the table, alloy is off the table, anything other than flat stack is off the table, anything without safeties is off the table, anything with seperate grip panels is off the table, anything that isn't so massive that recoil is absorbed simply by shear weight is off the table, if it isn't gov issue its off the table, and the like..fine, perfectly excellent, if it makes you happy, great!

IMO, when Pat Yates first put the Combat Master (Detonics) into production in the mid 1960s it answered this question...in its entirety..."can you leave behind a full size 1911 and still carry everything good about a .45?" Answer yes...and then all hell broke loose and for the next 40 some odd years the vast majority of people that CC a .45 didn't have to struggle with the question. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the only good reason to CC a full size .45 these days is to provide definitive proof that, for some, it isn't about the round or reliability at all.

I have carried my TRP in a Uncle Mikes #5 IWB holster ever snice I bought it. I think the slim line of the frame makes it easier to carry in an IWB type holster. I cary it under a t-shirt with no issues except maybe having to check the shirt as I get out of the truck. I have carried a S&W 5906 and Glock 20 also and I think the 1911 is by far easier than those two. I did modify the Uncle Mikes #5 by sewing up the extra space so that it fits the gun better. I carry with a IWB type holsters for most of the year I am hot natured type of person and only wear t-shirts with a hoody tpye sweat shirt in the coldest part of the year. I do have standard type holsters I use at the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a free country...but haivng said that, carrying a full size 1911 as a CC makes about as much sense as carrying a W.W. Wood Bowie knife Especially in our 2009 "world of plenty."

The 1911 enjoys a great reputation and for many, they can't see anything else. For them, plastic is off the table, alloy is off the table, anything other than flat stack is off the table, anything without safeties is off the table, anything with seperate grip panels is off the table, anything that isn't so massive that recoil is absorbed simply by shear weight is off the table, if it isn't gov issue its off the table, and the like..fine, perfectly excellent, if it makes you happy, great!

IMO, when Pat Yates first put the Combat Master (Detonics) into production in the mid 1960s it answered this question...in its entirety..."can you leave behind a full size 1911 and still carry everything good about a .45?" Answer yes...and then all hell broke loose and for the next 40 some odd years the vast majority of people that CC a .45 didn't have to struggle with the question. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the only good reason to CC a full size .45 these days is to provide definitive proof that, for some, it isn't about the round or reliability at all.
</div></div>

This is some of the most ignorant nonsense I've ever read on a gun forum.

I carry a plethora of firearms depending on what I'm wearing, anything from a Polish P-64 to a 1911. A Glock is the lightest firearm in the list, but it is also THICK and a bitch to keep from printing. The HK P7 splits the weight difference (and thickness difference) between the Glock and the 1911, and offers 9x19 power, but its blowback system is definitely recoil heavy. The Glock, while very lightweight, is thick and blocky..which doesn't help concealability. Its capacity is hard to beat, though, and the ergonomic problem has already been mentioned here. A revolver can be very light, pretty small and somewhat easy to conceal...but the capacity is terrible and I know that I am not good with a revolver. Similarly, tiny automatics exist (Kahr, Ruger LCP, Kel-tec, etc.), but most of them are a weak caliber and/or are not very ergonomic at all.

The 1911, besides being heavy, is really the best compromise of them all. It is thin and flat, and not blocky, so it conceals well. It shoots an acceptable caliber (acceptable to me is 9x19 or .38 special or larger) and is ergonomic (can change grips and main spring housings to fit the shooter).

More on this later...

I am a huge 1911 fan but not my first choice for CC now. I prefer striker fired, no exposed hammer to catch whilst drawing. Have they and are they CC, sure but its my opinion right or wrong to anyone else.

The grip is what is hard to conceal, not the barrel. Short grips are much easier as are thin grips. To me, I think full size 1911 grips are hard to conceal. While building a complete CC program around a 1911 or any pistol, starting with something easier to conceal can be easier or better to conceal from the start.

I have a double thick leather belt with plastic insert. It is super duper stiff, even after several years still stiff, not around the buckle and holes where there is no plastic, this area has become soft for comfort even though its double leather.

Once you get the weapon, holster is so subjective that you should have a many spares left over after trying them. Where you carry it too. It must be comfortable and only you know it is. I carry 3:00 Comp-Tac C-Tac with the new upgraded kit set at 22 cant. With most full size 45 or any full capacity CC, all that ammo in the grip means it is grip heavy. Narrow holster systems will at least in my testing of many, are not as stable as a holster that has a wide attachment belt system. I found anything will pull dots walked as the heavy grip would shift because it stuck out further than the holster.

I carry daily since it came to market, XD45C after first CC XD45 Service. Once a friend got my hands around an XD, it took lots of persuading but it points just like 1911 but I believe it in more than 1911 for CC.

To be clear 3" guns can run. Would I want one? No. Do notable folks encourage them? No. Are they right for you? Your money, your life, your choice.

http://www.10-8performance.com/id8.html

Yam, Vickers and other notable builders and trainers are of the same mindset.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to hijack the thread, but........

DSC05132.jpg

</div></div>

Doc, I see we have different thoughts on carry guns (which is great BTW) you like short guns, mag wells and guide rods. I can see that gun has spent some in the holster. Does it get shot much? How many rounds on that particular gun? How many rounds can it go without cleaning and still be 100%?

Here are a couple of mine, with the bottom two being carry guns. I like basic striped down governments, no wells, plugs, and deck tape. The middle one is my EDC and has around 45k on it now. The lower one is my back up carry and only has around 9k. All three of these routinely go 1k rnds without cleaning and I don't think twice about carry with up to 400 of 200 grn lead SWC and 5.7 of Unique.

baers.jpg

baers2.jpg

Regardless of anyone's preference I am very pro carry and am happy to see it discussed positively.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...3" guns can run. Would I want one? No. Do notable folks encourage them? No. Are they right for you? Your money, your life, your choice... Yam, Vickers and other notable builders and trainers are of the same mindset.</div></div> I don't disagree with that. I would add: Most pistols today that are marketed as 'carry' guns are tourist traps.

Carrying a gun all day every day is a huge pain in the ass. Proper and professional concealed carry, in all its aspects, requires commitment, discipline, knowledge and training.

When I could only afford one gun I carred my full-size 1911 Wilson LE comp match gun, 5 3/8" bbl., in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. I had over twenty thousand rounds through it in practice and in matches, so I felt comfortable with it. As to the weight, barrel length and grip size - I got used to it.

Now I have a Les Baer Stinger. It's easier to carry while seated, and the shorter grip gives me more clothing options without printing. The Milt Sparks 1H beats the old Summer Special hands-down, and I find it easier to carry the shorter spare mag. Would I go to any smaller 1911? No way. Leather has come a long way, and it is now easier to carry a full-size pistol in comfort than it ever was.

Love that skateboard tape on the TRS top of slide. Gonna do that to my Commander and SIS if I can find some tape today.

"This is some of the most ignorant nonsense I've ever read on a gun forum.

I carry a plethora of firearms depending on what I'm wearing, anything from a Polish P-64 to a 1911. A Glock is the lightest firearm in the list, but it is also THICK and a bitch to keep from printing. The HK P7 splits the weight difference (and thickness difference) between the Glock and the 1911, and offers 9x19 power, but its blowback system is definitely recoil heavy. The Glock, while very lightweight, is thick and blocky..which doesn't help concealability. Its capacity is hard to beat, though, and the ergonomic problem has already been mentioned here. A revolver can be very light, pretty small and somewhat easy to conceal...but the capacity is terrible and I know that I am not good with a revolver. Similarly, tiny automatics exist (Kahr, Ruger LCP, Kel-tec, etc.), but most of them are a weak caliber and/or are not very ergonomic at all.

The 1911, besides being heavy, is really the best compromise of them all. It is thin and flat, and not blocky, so it conceals well. It shoots an acceptable caliber (acceptable to me is 9x19 or .38 special or larger) and is ergonomic (can change grips and main spring housings to fit the shooter).

More on this later..."

You missed my point..the question is a FULL SIZE 1911, not ALL 1911s. My point was that one can effectively derive a great deal of the benefits of a 1911 without having to CC a full size frame and slide. Re-read. As to your list of firearms, you have not mentioned a single 1911 small frame variant. I probably should have thrown up some Detonics as perhaps some don't know that they were chopped 1911s.

I am ignorant...I don't own a Glock, I don't own a Polish P-64, I don't own a HK P7, I don't own a Kahr, I don't own a Ruger LCP, I don't own a Kel-tec, I own revolvers and I don't have your issues with them. My, that IS a "plethora" of things I wouldn't own. No, 9x19 is not on my buy list. I carry a .45 and I don't swap it out with the choice of clothing. I keep it simple and carry what I shoot..alot.

This thread started out with a basic question, asked to folks that have carried a FULL SIZE 1911. My contribution is that one can derive great satisfaction carrying a 1911 .45acp WITHOUT hauling around a full size government model and, as others continue to contribute, it appears that I am not alone in this view.

Here is an early double action 1911 in .45. It started out as a Detonics and was reworked by old man Seecamp. Pull the trigger and the hammer goes back. Single or Double action. This rig is twenty odd years old.

IMG_0072.jpg

I guess I'm desensitized. I can carry a full size all day, come home and take a nap without downloading.

Three inchers either run or they don't. I held my breath when I bought my one and only. Over 2,500 rounds later it hasn't hiccuped once. I've never fired more than 100 rounds without cleaning, though. If I ever experience a MF, it's gone. Looking to pick up an OM sized frame with Commander length slide to replace the church gun. I like the Bill Wilson Carry Pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a free country...but haivng said that, carrying a full size 1911 as a CC makes about as much sense as carrying a W.W. Wood Bowie knife Especially in our 2009 "world of plenty."</div></div>

Switching from a weapon I have more than 30 years experience with to something different just because we live in a world of plenty doesn't make much sense either. The 1911 isn't for everyone; no platform is.

An Officer’s or Compact 1911 is, like all 1911's, dependant on things: tolerances, magazines, ammunition, spring weight combinations, and the users knowledge on how the gun works. They’re built to Ordinance tolerances (the only tolerances that there are, all others are subject to those tolerances) and the tighter it gets the less room for experimentation and deviation there is. All 1911s require properly made magazines with springs of proper strength in them. They require recoil and mainspring combinations of the proper weight as well as proper lubricant (not a lot, but they need some). They need operators who have an understanding of the working relationship between parts and the manipulation upon each othen when ratios or tolerances are changed. The smaller 1911’s require more maintenance, as in the changing of recoil spring needs to happen sooner (approx. 800 rounds vs. 2,000+/- for a Commander or Government model) and the application of proper type and quantity of lubricant in the right areas becomes a bit more critical.

There’s one final note that concerns all 1911’s and all guns in general. Its shocking the masses who demand a Bullseye or Pin gun tight CCW. The number of people who baulk at a gun who can only squeeze out 2.5 or 3” groups at 25 yards but do it all day long everyday with never a hiccup. The ones who insist on dropping 18.5+ pound springs in Government model 1911’s (Standard IS 16 pounds, if it won‘t do it with that there’s something else wrong with the gun. And no, it doesn‘t soften the blow from +P loads, it retards timing.). There are a lot of funny things out there on what we need, few we really do.

All of my full-size 1911's, from cheap rusted gov't surplus versions to the $2,500 variety from Ed Brown, Springfield, custom Colt's, et al, have run perfectly, never a problem with any of them.

Then, on a lark, I bought a commander sized 1911 three years ago. Each seemingly minor issue was one that I figured could be easily solved with a trip to the gunsmith. Well, after pouring well over a thousand bucks in "trips to the gunsmith", I decided that I'm well suited to problem-free 5" 1911's.

Those that want 3" and 4.25" 1911's won't have me standing in line with them to get 'em. If it needs to be smaller than a full-size 1911, it won't be a 1911 at all for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"This is some of the most ignorant nonsense I've ever read on a gun forum.

More on this later..."

You missed my point..the question is a FULL SIZE 1911, not ALL 1911s. My point was that one can effectively derive a great deal of the benefits of a 1911 without having to CC a full size frame and slide. Re-read. As to your list of firearms, you have not mentioned a single 1911 small frame variant. I probably should have thrown up some Detonics as perhaps some don't know that they were chopped 1911s.

I am ignorant...I don't own a Glock, I don't own a Polish P-64, I don't own a HK P7, I don't own a Kahr, I don't own a Ruger LCP, I don't own a Kel-tec, I own revolvers and I don't have your issues with them. My, that IS a "plethora" of things I wouldn't own. No, 9x19 is not on my buy list. I carry a .45 and I don't swap it out with the choice of clothing. I keep it simple and carry what I shoot..alot.

This thread started out with a basic question, asked to folks that have carried a FULL SIZE 1911. My contribution is that one can derive great satisfaction carrying a 1911 .45acp WITHOUT hauling around a full size government model and, as others continue to contribute, it appears that I am not alone in this view.

Here is an early double action 1911 in .45. It started out as a Detonics and was reworked by old man Seecamp. Pull the trigger and the hammer goes back. Single or Double action. This rig is twenty odd years old.

IMG_0072.jpg
</div></div>

Your post doesn't address my comments at all. I own two 1911s, both of which have 5" barrels. With an IWB holster, all you have to really conceal is the grip anyway, and I have no problem with mine.

I've been carrying some of the other guns more, but there's no reason that I can't carry my 1911. The weight sucks, but other than that, it offers the best of everything and its shape is very concealable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to hijack the thread, but........

DSC05132.jpg

</div></div>

Doc, I see we have different thoughts on carry guns (which is great BTW) you like short guns, mag wells and guide rods. I can see that gun has spent some in the holster. Does it get shot much? How many rounds on that particular gun? How many rounds can it go without cleaning and still be 100%?

</div></div>

That one I have been shooting for 20 years, albiet not much lately. It probably has in the neighbor hood of 50,000 rounds + through it. When that pic was taken there was about 2K through it and it hadent been cleaned in the better part of a year. Shortly there after I added another 2 strings of 500. I cleaned it then and then ran another 100 through it since then it's proably had another 1K through it over the past 2 years. Heven't cleaned it yet. 0 FTF, 0 failures, went bang every time, I guess that means it's 100%. OBTW I only shoot full house ammo, no target. Have replaced some springs and tightened the slide twice. The mag well is because I have fairly large paws and will heal the gun if it's not there.

Cheers,

Doc

That's a bad ass officer there. I have always been opposed to the idea, but a compact 1911 with a lightweight frame really would be the cat's ass if it ran.

I like your taste in a carry 1911 Doc. I've had mine only a few years but it has been flawless so far. Robar Combat Master finished in their NP3 treatment, I like it a lot.

07-06-09_1317.jpg

I have been carrying a full size 1911 for about a year now and you definetly have to dress around your rig. I am currently using a DM Bullard IWB and a wilderness 5 stich belt. It gets heavy sometimes but it is the gun I am most confident with. I have gone through several holsters until I found this one that works for me. My advice is to try as many holsters as you can to find the one that works for YOU. Many will say that holster a is better than holster b, but everybody has their own fit. Just my .02 worth.

DZ,

My S&W Scandium frame is much lighter than my Colt. Both are Commander models. But the Smith does sit better than the colt for longer periods.

As I said earlier, I worry about sweating them up, so I don't carry them often. But I'm sufficiently large (read too f---ing large
laugh.gif
) enough to squirrel away two of them with out worrying too much about printing! Though a mirror can be very helpful prior to going out in public
shocked.gif

I'm 5'5" and 150 lbs. or so. I've found that the Glock hides easier than the 1911 in some clothes because the grip is shorter, so I can carry it at 3:30 or so instead of 4:00.

If I were going to switch to another 1911, I'd probably switch to some kind of commander slide/officer grip gun. To me, a commander doesn't offer anything the full size doesn't because with an IWB, that's all in your pants anyway.

True enough. I just like the lighter weight of the scandium frame and preferred it over aluminum as it is said to be significantly stronger. Who the F--- knows for sure?

My hands are like catchers mitts and there isn't a pistol grip too big for my hand. Hell, I even own a Ruger p-89 with a Hogue grip finger groove grip!
laugh.gif
That said, there is no pistol that feels better in my hand than the good old 1911.

Oh, and that S&W 1911Sc only cost me $500.00 clams and came with three mags!

I love 1911's....I carry 1911's and many other pistols...For me the 1911 has a better feal when holstered...It just feals like it's slimmer....Can't explain it. The 1911 does need to be cleaned and VERY lightly lubbed more often than the polymer weapons. I personally like to carry a weapon that doesnt care when it is surrounded by dust, lint, dirt... This does not mean that I sideline the 1911...I just pick the platform that will best suite the senario. Winter time, you can pack a 500 S&W as an under arm carry if you want.....Just put 5 lbs of ballast under the other arm or you will start to list (Lean to one side for those non-navy types.)I catch myself grabbing H&K's or Sigs for the CCW's because they don't require as much cleaning and still function in the lint factor situations....Just my opinion. I am not enflaming the 1911/plastic gun debate...I like and carry them all......even the little Keltec 32 ACP in my swimming trunks.........Hahahaha....SmokeRolls

Hey QUEE.. Not to hijack thread but how do you like that Scandium Smith?.?.....I've always wanted to try one as a carry. I bought a Kimber Tactical 5" with the Alluminum frame and it is very sweet as a carry.....I wish the feed ramp was stainless but it's holding up very well. I wouldn't put 20,000 rounds thru it and expect the alluminum feed ramp to hold up but it is a light carry....and still has a full length barrel...SmokeRolls

Anything I carry is in addition to one of my little KelTecs, a good folder and my Wave tool. Remember, a spare (KelTec) mag fits right nicely in a Leatherman nylon multi tool pouch: there is a thin divider in the back of the main pouch that is a perfect fit for a spare mag!

Y'all are welcome!

On the Scandium Commander, I lucked into it. I guess a Polk County Sherrifs office did a T&E on several of them and I walked into my favorite retailer one day and there were three of them all for $500.00 each. <span style="font-size: 20pt">DOH</span>

A classic no brainer, I picked the prettiest one and haven't regretted it for a segundo! I'll post a pic.
DSCF3765.jpg

I carried a fullsize Springfield for a couple of years before I got an officer's size Kimber. The officer's model is much, much nicer to carry in the summer, but I still carry the fullsize sometimes when I'm wearing a coat. That's not all that much in the South, though.

I had a good deal of problems early on with the Kimber. Rather than tune the factory extractor, I replaced it with an Ed Brown Hardcore. Than interfered with the Swartz safety, so I removed it. I'm kinda thinking about putting it back in and making it work, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I also had a problem with it locking back with ammo in the mag, rather than tweak the stock MIM slide stop I replaced that with an Ed Brown hardcore part as well. Once those changes were made it runs like a top, I haven't had the first malfunction with it since. I don't shoot the fool out of it since it's an aluminum frame, but it's easily had 3-5K since then, with sometimes 500+ rounds of LSWC reloads between cleanings. I understand some people get 3" 1911's that just won't run, but there are plenty of them that run just fine.

The shorter sight radius isn't as big of a hindrance as you'd think, it's not that hard to shoot them well. The other day I was shooting with a friend with a commander's length 1911 almost identical to my officer's model, he shot mine better than his own even with the shorter sight radius. The only thing different were the grips.