• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about.22lr competition build

mberlin74

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2019
I’m planning on starting to dabble in the .22lr competition world. I’ve wanted to for a long while but have been a little apprehensive to start. I decided to go for it and jump in with both feet. So here’s my build specs followed by a couple of questions.

Vudoo V22 action

Krieger MTU 22” barrel threaded and capped

Triggertech Diamond 2 stage trigger

Gray Ops one piece scope mount

Kahles K25i optic

MDT CKYE-POD Gen 2 Single Pull Short/PRS - Bipod

MPA Matrix Pro 2 chassis

So I’m also considering the MDT ACC Elite chassis. Both are great options but there’s something about the Matrix that I really like the look of.

Question 1 is if anyone has a photo of the Matrix Pro with a 22” barrel? Just want to see how it looks in the chassis. Not sure if it’s going to look too short.

Question 2 is if I’m using a 22” MTU barrel with the new “lighter” Matrix Pro 2 rear end (1 lb lighter), do you think it will be heavy enough up front that i shouldn’t need too much weight to balance?

Question 3 will a competition chassis like the Matrix or ACC give me that much more of an advantage over a traditional stock like a Foundation or a McMillan?

Reactions: Beyond The Myth
This is similar to what you want to build. Only it is rimx with 24 inch strait 1.20 krieger. Should give you an idea

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 178
This is similar to what you want to build. Only it is rimx with 24 inch strait 1.20 krieger. Should give you an idea
Thanks for this picture. Any idea how much barrel is sticking out past the end of the chassis?

7 inches. 22 inch would look fine! And with the competiton chassis weighing 1 lb lighter in stock a mtu should balance pretty well

Matrix pro is very wide. I still really like the chassis alot. Just like the ba comp just a little more. Personal preference.

This was my V-360, 22" MTU in the Matrix Pro chassis....LOVE the chassis...but at 22lbs it still would not balance always butt heavy, and not sure I could of gotten it to balance....I had the full internal Gray Ops weight set and 2 Gray Ops long external weights install and Bipod...with the Bipod it was still just slightly butt heavy without it would not stay on a bag....Its was 22lbs without the Bipod.

I swapped it into an ARC chassis with 2 internal weights and it balances just a bit front heavy but will stay on a bag no problem, Just how I like it, also after talking to a few members here I added the +.030 mag latch to the ARC chassis and it feeds flawlessly....its 18lbs without the Bipod

To your questions...
#2.. Its going to be close with the lighter butt stock and your going to loose the adjustable bag rest which is a pretty awesome option.

#3.. No I can shoot a chassis or a stock the same get what you prefer.

Suggestion...Get a the GEN2 double pull you'll need it at some point and better to have it when the time comes.

IMG_5995.jpeg
IMG_5996.jpeg
IMG_6009.jpeg

Last edited:
22” MTU barrel is not that heavy so you may find your rifle to be butt heavy without a bunch of weights in front to balance it out. MDT ACC is for sure butt heavy but I believe MDT offers an aluminum replacement for the steel butt stock plate.

I run a 22” 1.200 Bartlein on my Vudoo, in a XLR Envy Pro w/ C6 buttstock. The heavier barrel let’s it balance without any weights, but it balances better with bipod installed (double pull Cyke Pod).

To your questions...
#2.. Its going to be close with the lighter butt stock and your going to loose the adjustable bag rest which is a pretty awesome option.

Thanks for the great detail. Much appreciated.
Are you saying that the Pro 2 competition butt stock doesn’t have the drop down adjustable bag rest?

Thanks for the great detail. Much appreciated.
Are you saying that the Pro 2 competition butt stock doesn’t have the drop down adjustable bag rest?
No…the Pro 2 does but they have a butt stock that does not I believe it’s the Matrix.

They make a weight reduction kit for the Pro 2 but I’m not sure a 10oz reduction will be enough to balance it out without being 22+lbs.

No…the Pro 2 does but they have a butt stock that does not I believe it’s the Matrix.

They make a weight reduction kit for the Pro 2 but I’m not sure a 10oz reduction will be enough to balance it out without being 22+lbs.

I think thats a kit for the Matrix Pro. I believe the Matrix Pro 2 competition butt stock has those same lighter nylon parts, but also has had material removed from the butt stock. The Pro 2 is apparently 1 lb lighter than the Pro.
I’m starting to think that the Matrix Pro 2 is not the best idea unless I go with a 26” barrel or something.

I think thats a kit for the Matrix Pro. I believe the Matrix Pro 2 competition butt stock has those same lighter nylon parts, but also has had material removed from the butt stock. The Pro 2 is apparently 1 lb lighter than the Pro.
I’m starting to think that the Matrix Pro 2 is not the best idea unless I go with a 26” barrel or something.
The pictures I posted are of the Matrix Pro 2 and it’s a great chassis I put my 6GT in it with a 1.25” 27” straight taper barrel and it’s front heavy.

From what I’ve read and talking with Johnathan at Modicam a 1.25” straight at 25” will balance with no weights but I do not know first hand but will soon I have Johnathan putting that combo together as we speak.

The pictures I posted are of the Matrix Pro 2 and it’s a great chassis I put my 6GT in it with a 1.25” 27” straight taper barrel and it’s front heavy.

From what I’ve read and talking with Johnathan at Modicam a 1.25” straight at 25” will balance with no weights but I do not know first hand but will soon I have Johnathan putting that combo together as we speak.
Good to know. So maybe a 24” barrel with a little weight up front will do it. I live quite remotely and there not a lot of opportunity for me to get behind these chassis. It’s going to be based on looks and as much user feedback as I can get.

Good to know. So maybe a 24” barrel with a little weight up front will do it. I live quite remotely and there not a lot of opportunity for me to get behind these chassis. It’s going to be based on looks and as much user feedback as I can get.
I would guess yes but just remember you are going to be 22+lbs so as long as your ok with that then by all means the Matrix Pro is an awesome chassis.

FYI the new MDT chassis is going to be a little shorter forend so that may be an option also

I would guess yes but just remember you are going to be 22+lbs so as long as you’re ok with that then by all means the Matrix Pro is an awesome chassis.
any idea if the ACC Elite would be a similar weight to get balanced?

I am not sure I’ve only owned a ACC, not the elite, and did not care for it because of all the twist/flex in the forend if all the internal weights were removed.

If you could post some pics of it when you get it in hand I’d really appreciate it.

Reactions: LR1845
The MDT ACC Elite will support the magazine properly so it feeds right, no adjustment necessary in my case although the chassis does have an adjustable mag latch. The ARC will definitely need the extended mag latch, but will work well once you install it. MDT has weights you can add to the barrel channel in the bottom of the forend, and you can attach more weights to the MLOK slots on the sides of the chassis, to get the balance you need.

My Vudoo is the 22 inch, threaded, and I installed the Eric Cortina brake/tuner. Highly recommend a tuner. This rig shoots one hole at 50 yards with the tuner.

The MDT ACC Elite will support the magazine properly so it feeds right, no adjustment necessary in my case although the chassis does have an adjustable mag latch. The ARC will definitely need the extended mag latch, but will work well once you install it. MDT has weights you can add to the barrel channel in the bottom of the forend, and you can attach more weights to the MLOK slots on the sides of the chassis, to get the balance you need.

My Vudoo is the 22 inch, threaded, and I installed the Eric Cortina brake/tuner. Highly recommend a tuner. This rig shoots one hole at 50 yards with the tuner.
Thanks Roslyn. Does the Matrix Pro have known magazine/feeding issues or something?

This is 22" straight barrel with acc elite chassis. It wont balance without the double pull. I have 1 pair of Gray Ops weights and 2 pieces of MDT internal weights inside at the front. Weight about 22lbs with everything.

I have pretty much tried every chassis available on the market, BA comp, matrix pro, ACC, ACC elite, Envy Pro, Centurion, and PRS-TCS. I can tell you 22" straight wont balance with any of them. ACC might be the closest one that I can made it happen due to the longer front end.

22" MTU might be even harder to archive balance. 24"+ barrel will help better for sure if the balance is what you are after.

I have the other one 26" straight with Envy Pro that only need the extended nose weight that come out around 18ish lbs and dont need the bipod to balance.

Hopefully this give you some idea.

Attachments

• 2023-12-24 10.09.35.jpg
    2023-12-24 10.09.35.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Shouldn't be hard to get a 22" MTU or 1.2" to balance in a Manners TCS. I have done it with the 22" MTU below by taking out the large weight in the LOP in the back and adding one weight to the arca rail.

IMG_3247.jpg

This is 22" straight barrel with acc elite chassis. It wont balance without the double pull. I have 1 pair of Gray Ops weights and 2 pieces of MDT internal weights inside at the front. Weight about 22lbs with everything.

I have pretty much tried every chassis available on the market, BA comp, matrix pro, ACC, ACC elite, Envy Pro, Centurion, and PRS-TCS. I can tell you 22" straight wont balance with any of them. ACC might be the closest one that I can made it happen due to the longer front end.

22" MTU might be even harder to archive balance. 24"+ barrel will help better for sure if the balance is what you are after.

I have the other one 26" straight with Envy Pro that only need the extended nose weight that come out around 18ish lbs and dont need the bipod to balance.

Here is a quick video of me shooting from my MD. You can have some idea how it balance.

Hopefully this give you some idea.

Thanks for this. It really does help with the visual. That ACC Elite paint job is awesome btw!
Well it definitely looks like I need to go to a 24 or 25”.
1) if the MTU is questionable regarding weight, what’s your suggestion to go with?
2) do you know which between the matrix pro 2 or the ACC Elite is known for being harder to balance?

I guess If the Matrix Pro has a longer fore end then maybe that extra “up front” weight would let me get away with a 24” barrel plus maybe a little bit of weight up front to get balanced.

I think their stocks are beautiful but at this time I’m after a chassis.

I was more giving a counterpoint to his saying the 22" wouldn't balance in a TCS.

I did have my 23" 1.2" and 22", pictured above, in a MPA Matrix Pro at one point. The Pro had 4 internal weights in the front and two side weights. The 23" balanced well in it but the 22" was a little tail heavy. If ordering a Matrix Pro II you can get a lightweight competition rear and that would take care of the issue.

IMG_3967.JPG

Reactions: MPrimo
I was more giving a counterpoint to his saying the 22" wouldn't balance in a TCS.

I did have my 23" 1.2" and 22", pictured above, in a MPA Matrix Pro at one point. The Pro had 4 internal weights in the front and two side weights. The 23" balanced well in it but the 22" was a little tail heavy. If ordering a Matrix Pro II you can get a lightweight competition rear and that would take care of the issue.

View attachment 8364708
Looks beautiful!
Is that color Tungsten? I’m slightly torn between Gun Metal and Tungsten.

So would you say that a 24” barrel in the 1lb lighter Pro 2 competition butt stock would balance fairly well with little (maybe no) weights added?

Looks beautiful!
Is that color Tungsten? I’m slightly torn between Gun Metal and Tungsten.

So would you say that a 24” barrel in the 1lb lighter Pro 2 competition butt stock would balance fairly well with little (maybe no) weights added?

Flat Dark Earth I believe. I bought it used. I have another MPA in midnight bronze and I like that too. I ordered my Pro II in Marine Red.

Yeah I think that set up would balance pretty well.

I think their stocks are beautiful but at this time I’m after a chassis.
Not sure what you think about the XYLO chassis but this is my Vudoo 360 22” MTU balanced on my safe door about 2” in front of the mag well with 2 internal weights…weighs in at 18lbs as pictured.

IMG_6265.jpeg
IMG_6266.jpeg

Reactions: Mark_Dorman
Yea, I think I saw your picture before, but I could never get it balance for my case. I think you have a tuner in the front that will definitely help a little.

Just for PO, there are a lot of different way the rifle is consider balanced depends on the use case. I only do NRL22 mostly, so I need mine balance with game changer on a 2 by 4 (2" side) which is about 4" away from the magwell.

Also the weight of your scope matter as well since it will be on the butt side of the balance point, I did see a 23" rifle that balance well with a light weight scope/scope ring setup. So not just chassis that matter.

Yea, I think I saw your picture before, but I could never get it balance for my case. I think you have a tuner in the front that will definitely help a little.

Just for PO, there are a lot of different way the rifle is consider balanced depends on the use case. I only do NRL22 mostly, so I need mine balance with game changer on a 2 by 4 (2" side) which is about 4" away from the magwell.

Also the weight of your scope matter as well since it will be on the butt side of the balance point, I did see a 23" rifle that balance well with a light weight scope/scope ring setup. So not just chassis that matter.
My rifle will balance exactly where your talking about on a bag.

Flat Dark Earth I believe. I bought it used. I have another MPA in midnight bronze and I like that too. I ordered my Pro II in Marine Red.

Yeah I think that set up would balance pretty well.
Do you think if I went with a 22 inch barrel plus an EC tuner, it would balance about the same as a 24 inch barrel without the tuner? Or would I be better off with a 24 inch barrel and a EC tuner? I’m trying not to stretch the overall length out too far but obviously balance is what I’m after more than the aesthetic of the rifle.

Do you think if I went with a 22 inch barrel plus an EC tuner, it would balance about the same as a 24 inch barrel without the tuner? Or would I be better off with a 24 inch barrel and a EC tuner? I’m trying not to stretch the overall length out too far but obviously balance is what I’m after more than the aesthetic of the rifle.

No as the 1.2" barrel is quite a bit heavier than the MTU even with the tuner, which doesn't weigh that much. The 24" would help balance better with the extra weight out front but adding some weight is easy if you wanted to get a MTU and a chassis with a lighter rear end.

Reactions: LR1845

The tuner is not heavy at all. I have taken it off and it stays the same. The bipod does help though.

I shoot all the same props in NRL and PRS matches and it balances there as well. Been shooting those matches for the past 7 years and started with a 18" Kukri which was a little rear heavy in the lighter Manners PRS2 stock but worked.

Scope may have a little to do with it depending more on length as where it sits is more central in the balance even though it looks more to the rear. The heavier rear butt area will drop the balance off a lot more than a scope. I have moved scopes around and have found little, if any, change in balance.

The 1.2" balances great in a Manners TCS also. Same barreled action as in the picture above. It should sit about the same in the Pro II with the lighter competition rear end. I actually have one of the MPA Pro rear end lightening kits coming in to try with the above chassis. Will see if it allows less weight up front.

i-GcHWQqJ-X26.jpg

The tuner is not heavy at all. I have taken it off and it stays the same. The bipod does help though.

I shoot all the same props in NRL and PRS matches and it balances there as well. Been shooting those matches for the past 7 years and started with a 18" Kukri which was a little rear heavy in the lighter Manners PRS2 stock but worked.

Scope may have a little to do with it depending more on length as where it sits is more central in the balance even though it looks more to the rear. The heavier rear butt area will drop the balance off a lot more than a scope. I have moved scopes around and have found little, if any, change in balance.

The 1.2" balances great in a Manners TCS also. Same barreled action as in the picture above. It should sit about the same in the Pro II with the lighter competition rear end. I actually have one of the MPA Pro rear end lightening kits coming in to try with the above chassis. Will see if it allows less weight up front.

View attachment 8365112
So would it make more sense to skip the MTU and go for a barrel with a diameter of 1.25 which is the same as the tuner?

So would it make more sense to skip the MTU and go for a barrel with a diameter of 1.25 which is the same as the tuner?

That would come down to your personal preference. How heavy you want the rifle and how you can move around with it. You don't have to go with a MPA Pro either. They have other chassis which are lighter and will work well with the MTU and not need a lot of weights to balance. Something like the BA Comp ESR and add the side rails and you will get the width of the Pro and less rear weight so easier to tune with a MTU. Here is the 22" MTU before I put the side rails on. That set up will also work with the 1.2" barrel.

IMG_E3974.JPG

Many others with more experience than me have already given their feedback, but wanted to jump in an share my personal experience as I've recently completed my V22 build and had similar goals/dilemmas as you. I originally wanted an MTU or Kurki for the look, but my ultimate goal was balance so I went with the 24 inch 1.20 straight. I have an MPA Matrix Pro and picked it because I really liked the looks and features it offered. It is quite heavy though but was able to get it to balance out with minimal added weights.

The complete rifle weights in at 20 lbs which was a tad heavier than I was hoping for. Ideally I wanted to be at ~18 lbs. The 24" 1.20 Barreled action with bolt weighs 9.1 lbs. IIRC that's about 1.5-2 lbs heavier than the MTU barreled actions.

with 3 internal weights up front and steel spigot.
1709658544407.png

With 2 external weights and steel spigot.
1709658590403.png

I hadn't actually gotten it out to the range, but with just playing with it a lot I decided I didn't like the feel of the chassis as much as I thought I would. I have an MDT ACC and MDT Oryx on my other rifles and like them just fine, but something about the Matrix just didn't feel right to me. The wide forend is fantastic for stability and I had everything adjusted to my preference. I decided I really liked the feel of our CZ 457 in a Manners (the newer VPT stock) so decided to pick up a Manners PRS-TCS for this gun.

Anyways, long winded way of saying: If you really want to use the Matrix Pro, I would definitely get the 24" 1.20 barrel. It'll really help with the balance and the Matrix Pro Buttstock Weight Reduction Kit (10oz saved) would definitely help you balance it out without additional weights (though you might still need 1 internal up front). So you'd probably save a good full pound+ overall with that setup.

Weight breakdown of my rifle. Your scope is 5oz lighter than mine and if you can get away with no weights and use the Matrix Pro Buttstock Weight Reduction Kit you'd come in at 25oz (~1.5lbs) lighter.
PartWeight (oz)Weight (lbs)
Chassis (MPA Matrix Pro)6.6
24" 1.20 Barrelled Action9.12
Scope/Rings/Accessories2.95
Steel Spigot5.80.3625
trigger30.1875
Interal Weights (3)11.30.70625
Sikes Clutch Knob2.30.14375
Total20.07

Many others with more experience than me have already given their feedback, but wanted to jump in an share my personal experience as I've recently completed my V22 build and had similar goals/dilemmas as you. I originally wanted an MTU or Kurki for the look, but my ultimate goal was balance so I went with the 24 inch 1.20 straight. I have an MPA Matrix Pro and picked it because I really liked the looks and features it offered. It is quite heavy though but was able to get it to balance out with minimal added weights.

The complete rifle weights in at 20 lbs which was a tad heavier than I was hoping for. Ideally I wanted to be at ~18 lbs. The 24" 1.20 Barreled action with bolt weighs 9.1 lbs. IIRC that's about 1.5-2 lbs heavier than the MTU barreled actions.

with 3 internal weights up front and steel spigot.
View attachment 8365265

With 2 external weights and steel spigot.
View attachment 8365266

I hadn't actually gotten it out to the range, but with just playing with it a lot I decided I didn't like the feel of the chassis as much as I thought I would. I have an MDT ACC and MDT Oryx on my other rifles and like them just fine, but something about the Matrix just didn't feel right to me. The wide forend is fantastic for stability and I had everything adjusted to my preference. I decided I really liked the feel of our CZ 457 in a Manners (the newer VPT stock) so decided to pick up a Manners PRS-TCS for this gun.

Anyways, long winded way of saying: If you really want to use the Matrix Pro, I would definitely get the 24" 1.20 barrel. It'll really help with the balance and the Matrix Pro Buttstock Weight Reduction Kit (10oz saved) would definitely help you balance it out without additional weights (though you might still need 1 internal up front). So you'd probably save a good full pound+ overall with that setup.

Weight breakdown of my rifle. Your scope is 5oz lighter than mine and if you can get away with no weights and use the Matrix Pro Buttstock Weight Reduction Kit you'd come in at 25oz (~1.5lbs) lighter.
PartWeight (oz)Weight (lbs)
Chassis (MPA Matrix Pro)6.6
24" 1.20 Barrelled Action9.12
Scope/Rings/Accessories2.95
Steel Spigot5.80.3625
trigger30.1875
Interal Weights (3)11.30.70625
Sikes Clutch Knob2.30.14375
Total20.07
Thanks a ton for all this info. It really helps. The color on that chassis is awesome! I really like it.

Question 1) The new pro 2 competition butt stock is 1 lb lighter than the Pro butt stick which is what you have. So I assume with your same setup in the new pro 2 chassis, you wouldn’t need any extra weights and would come out over a pound lighter?

Question 2) What was it that you didn’t like about the Mateix Pro? I’m in a tough spot where I have no opportunity to get behind it. I like the look and know that MPA does a great chassis. That’s what I’m going off of.

Thanks a ton for all this info. It really helps. The color on that chassis is awesome! I really like it.

Always happy to help if possible. I really liked the color combo also, which is another reason I'm a little bummed I didn't love the chassis.

Question 1) The new pro 2 competition butt stock is 1 lb lighter than the Pro butt stick which is what you have. So I assume with your same setup in the new pro 2 chassis, you wouldn’t need any extra weights and would come out over a pound lighter?

Question 2) What was it that you didn’t like about the Mateix Pro? I’m in a tough spot where I have no opportunity to get behind it. I like the look and know that MPA does a great chassis. That’s what I’m going off of.

Question 1)
If you're going to go with the Matrix Pro 2, I would assume you would be fine without any weights up front. In that case you should be a solid 1 lb 11oz lighter. Though if you add more of the NV bridge segments than standard that would change a bit.

Question 2)
It's hard to pinpoint one thing and this is completely subjective, but it's a combination of a few things:
  • It feels very bulky. The wide forend does feel very stable, but it also makes the front really big. Compared to say an ACC with Baker Wings, that's just the rear of the Forend widened.
  • It feels very cold. Not that other chassis don't, but I think because I've spent to much more time behind the CF Manners stock on our CZ I've just grown to like the feel of something with less metal.
  • The grip just feels off to me. I've tried out multiple of the options and nothing felt like it fit my hand right. I have an MPA EVG grip on my Oryx and really like it. Maybe I needed to try the new Matrix EVG grip, but the standard one just didn't fit my hand well.
Honestly I didn't dislike the chassis, I just didn't love it or like it as much as I thought I would. For our 10/22 (in the MDT Oryx) and R700 223 trainer (MDT ACC) I might just not be as picky. But with the Vudoo, I figured I'm building this to be my ideal competition rifle so I just want something I really love. I did try the R700 in the Matrix Pro and liked the MDT better so maybe that should have been a sign. Since I had it already though I figured I'd give it a shot with the Vudoo. The Manners TCS just showed up today though so I'll be mounting that soon and will have an additional point of comparison.

Last edited:
I wouldn't overlook the XLR Envy Pro with the C6 buttstock. Mine is about 22lbs as pictured. Balances perfectly with a 24" Bartlien Heavy Palma. Not nearly as heavy as a straight 1.2 profile barrel.

The new Envy Pro that's going into production this month has different forearm length availability and a redesigned magwell that protects your magazine from your front bag. No more protective devices needed like I have on mine to keep your bag from inducing misfeeds.

These are a very nice chassis.

Wondering about if anyone has tried or considered the MDT HNT26 chassis?

In theory it should balance nicely with a lighter barrel.

I'm assuming most haven't considered it because of the overall design. The slope right in front of the mag-well doesn't allow you to use barricade/bag stop and doesn't have one integrated. Limited M-Lok slots up front for weights and no internal weight options if needed for balance. While the buttstock is CF, so is the forend so there isn't much to help balance out the weight of the action and optic. I've seen people say it balances well with 26 inch heavy contour barrels + muzzle brakes (on centerfire), but that would mean you'd still need a pretty beefy barrel on a rimfire.

I would assume the main 2 reasons though are the lack of mag-well protection and the price. For $200 more can get an ACC Elite or the ACC Premier for $100 less.

Reactions: Schütze

Unless you're looking for an extremely light weight build, I wouldn't go that route.

Jake Vibbert was running a new Vudoo build at the last match. He's a lefty, so not many options, and shoots for MPA. The Hybrid he was running with a 20" Benchmark barrel was way too lightweight for a competitive build. And it's a couple pounds heavier than the HNT26.

For comp builds, weight is your friend. They settle and ride a bag better. Not as much wobble. Exactly what that weight is depends on the individual. I'm a fan of at least 15 to 16lbs, but prefer 20+lbs. Other people may like lighter.

You don't have to sacrifice chassis weight to get good balance.

Unless you're looking for an extremely light weight build, I wouldn't go that route.

Jake Vibbert was running a new Vudoo build at the last match. He's a lefty, so not many options, and shoots for MPA. The Hybrid he was running with a 20" Benchmark barrel was way too lightweight for a competitive build. And it's a couple pounds heavier than the HNT26.

For comp builds, weight is your friend. They settle and ride a bag better. Not as much wobble. Exactly what that weight is depends on the individual. I'm a fan of at least 15 to 16lbs, but prefer 20+lbs. Other people may like lighter.

You don't have to sacrifice chassis weight to get good balance.
18 to 20lbs is a perfect weight for me....I'm getting to old to pack those 25lb rifles around LOL.

18 to 20lbs is a perfect weight for me....I'm getting to old to pack those 25lb rifles around LOL.

Maybe I'm just too old also, but 20lbs even felt like a bit much for me. I'm pretty happy with the Manners setup right now which is about 18.5lbs. Just from practicing positions at home I feel like I'd be even happier in the 17lb range. But maybe I just need to get used to it. Coming from a CZ 457 that weighs ~13lbs.