• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about 9mm lee factory crimp die

Tomekeuro85

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Chicago Suburbs, IL
I loaded my first batch of 9mm today, which is also my first attempt at pistol ammo.

I used a lee factory crimp die and followed instructions that were supplied.

On the way in, the round entered smoothly and encountered a slight resistance at the top of the travel (which is what I assume was the crimp.). It started to exit smoothly but then it would "snag" on something. When the round came out, a part of the neck was slivered up with brass hanging off. It happened on pretty much all the rounds. I tried to back out the die but the same snag feeling kept happening and the same splintering/slivering would show up. It was easy to just scrape off with my fingernail but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be there in the first place.

Anyone else ever have this happen or know whats happening?

Re: Question about 9mm lee factory crimp die

The snag you are experiencing is part of the normal operation of the Lee FCD. The Lee FCD performs 2 functions, the first of which is the crimp and second is a post sizing operation. The post sizing operation is what is causing the snag, essentially you are feeling the carbide sizing ring inside the die straightening out any bulges introduced by the crimping process and / or any remaining belling in the case mouth. The first post in this Thread has some links with cut away drawings for the Lee factory crimp dies that may be helpful to you and this other thread on the 1911 Forum has a pretty good discussion about the function of the Lee FCD.

As far as your brass shaving issue I’m not really sure why that would be happening as everything else you describe sounds normal for the function of the Lee FCD.

are you chamfer/deburring your case necks ?

Negative.

They were smooth/rounded off... I didn't think they'd need any deburring by the way they looked/felt.

Should I have chamfered them inside and out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should I have chamfered them inside and out? </div></div>

I don't know anyone that does..........I've never found it to be necessary with pistol brass.

Buy a Redding Taper Crimp Die!

The reason why it will give you a much more uniform crimp, with the ability to set exactly what your desired crimp should be for proper feeding and accuracy, the LFCD is not a waste of money, throw the crimp portion away and add the Buldge Buster.