• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about a light palma barrel.

pistolpete75

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2007
Valencia
How hot does a light palma barrel need to get before it gets unpreditable?

The reason why I am asking this question is, for the first 25 rounds everything was great. 100yards to 1000yards, it shot on the nose. Then all of a sudden, I start shooting high and right. This was all the way from 1000yards to 100yards.

I'm wondering if it's my load, mayby my scope went down, or mayby it's the light palma barrel. Mayby it might be my shooting, but I highly doubt it since it happened all of a sudden.

If anyone can chime in, and help me figure this out I would appreciate it.

I did get to test the barrel with some kind of device. It showed the barrel to be 150degrees F toward the middle of the barrel, and the shank was 125degrees F.

My equipment is a tac30, a5 stock devcon bedded, kreiger light palma, uso, and rifle is professionally chambered. All screws are correctly fastened. .243win, 115dtacs, fireformed win brass, 42grains of h4350, wolf primers, jammed. 2.886OAL.

All brass was trimmed with a giraud trimmer, pocket primers uniformed and cleaned.

Rifle is almost new, round count is about 150 rounds. New barrel, new chamber, new crown.

Re: Question about a light palma barrel.

Number 1 suspect Scope, 2 bedding, 3 fouling. I've shot hundreds of 22 to 25 shot strings with light palma contour barrels with no shift of zero. I use medium palma contour now.... I think they shoot a little better longer.

did your check your scope, especially if all the shots are impacting inthe same area -high and right? I currently shoot a light palma contour and have not had any issues with barrel over heating

I'd double check the scope, clean the barrel and re-shoot, at least you eliminate 2 potential problems that maybe creating the change of impact

that was my next suspect, the scope. time to change it to my premier.

the bedding is perfect, and i just cleaned the barrel last night.

thanks for your insight.

Are you getting mirage off the barrel affecting what you are seeing though the scope? This happen to me yesterday at an F-Class match at Quantico. I shot 900 really fast, (a thunder storm was coming up) and I got high shots from the mirage, until I dialed down.

Try putting a mirage band on the barrel (or tube on the scope) and see if that doesn't work.

Good luck

Jerry