• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about a rail-mounted bipod

J-Ham

Aquamarine Team
Minuteman
  • Sep 21, 2009
    Whitefish, MT
    Ok, before you guys break out the flame throwers over this, let me first explain my needs. I'm looking for a bipod to go on an M-4 that doesn't see a lot of use. I have one because I think everyone should have one, but I don't really shoot it a lot.

Anyway, I'm looking for a bipod, but I have very limited rail space to mount one (i.e. not enough for an Atlas, I know, I have one). So, any of you Hiders have any experience with these bipods:

http://www.combathunting.com/product.cgi?group=93&product=12721

Based on the website and the price, I'd guess they are a Chinese piece-of-shit and not even worth the $30. Or maybe some of you experienced cats can point me in the direction of something else that will work (keep in mind, it does not have to compete with the Atlas).

Ok, I have my asbestos suit...FLAME AWAY!

Thanks
    J-Ham

Re: Question about a rail-mounted bipod

I have played with that particular model and you're right, its not really worth the $30. The legs don't stay put, and one of the feet fell off and had to be pinned back on.

For $30 the Shooters Ridge 'Rock Mount' Harris clones are a little bit better. They are also marketed by numerous other brands, and they're all the same thing. The biggest issue with them is that they are usually off-square, so one leg will need to be extended further then the other, and now you don't have equal support on both sides. They do work, I have one on my Ruger 10/22 and it's fine for that, and I've tried it on my beater AR and it works ok. If thats the budget, I'd go that route. They usually come with a picatinny adapter, as they are designed with a stud mount.

The first thing I did was tighten all the screws because they come loose from the factory. I also tack welded the support strut that runs across the front. From that point I was able to bend the main mounting bracket into better shape and now my legs extend almost the same length.

I really don't know why bipods have to be so expensive for quality. Even the harris, for what they cost, just don't FEEL solid. They are light, which is great for hiking it to your destination, and their warranty is impecable, but most of my guns only see a bench. For $60 I think you could have a damn solid piece of machinery that works reliably even if it is on the heavy side. Time to get the lathe turning...

That's all I needed to hear... the search continues.

Thank you.

If rail space is limiting and you don't shoot it that often, have you thought about a Grip Pod? I have these on a couple Sig 556s and for what they are, they work reasonably well. As a bipod, they are a little "bouncy" (I have the ones with the plastic legs, not the metal insert legs, which might be a little more stable). Plus you have the added benefit of a vertical foregrip. I'm not sure if one would fit in the rail space you have, but they're definitely narrower that the QD bipod mounts I have. Just a thought.

Thanks gstaylorg. I've actually got one of those, but I've recently made the switch to the MagPul AFG and don't have the balls to run an afg AND a vertical foregrip... seems a little pretentious to me
    grin.gif

After a quick look at your link, I can see where're you're going with the bayonet lug adapter. The only question I would ask is where will that put the legs of your bipod in relation to the muzzle? In addition to possibly making the weapon more front heavy, is muzzle blast going to be an issue with the legs? If not, you should be good to go. Thanks for posting the link and good luck with it.

I think the legs will extend beyond the muzzle about an inch.

Will it be an issue? I guess we'll just wait and see
    grin.gif

If you are looking for cheap, the Caldwell might be an option for you. Its a Harris clone and definitely not as well made, but mine has held up well. You would have to purchase the rail adapter.