• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about a Tikka T3 varmint

Frankr

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2012
WEST
Local gun store has a Tikka T3 varmint 1:8 .223 SS.

The gun is used and looks in pretty good condition but I have a question about the scope rail.

All but one of the screws are flush with the metal except the one furthest towards the barrel. It's about 1/4" back from the start of the rail and sits up ~ 1/8-1/4". The rail is recessed for the rest of the screws except this one and I am curious if this is normal/safe? I don't know how deep the screw goes but it looks to be right where the bolt head will be when fully closed. I don't think the gun store will let me take it out to see if I can see if the bolt goes all the way through or not. Am I worrying about nothing?

BTW they want $650 for it.

Thanks

Re: Question about a Tikka T3 varmint

I have seen multiple Tikka's with the exact condition you describe, although I have never fully investigated it. Now that you bring it up I would like to know why this is; but, I will say even the ones that had the screws like this shot superb!

BTW if you don't buy it give me the info and I'll see if he would ship it to me!

My super varmint had the same issue....I didnt like it although they told me it came from the factory that way and it is fine I still didnt like it and took the screw out and used a shorter screw......

Aren;t you talking about the screw where you can attach a mirage band to? It's standard.

I just made a quick pick in the safe

GroteFoto-WN4X6CSH.jpg

Now I feel really dumb! Nice to know what its really for though!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlueVFRank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aren;t you talking about the screw where you can attach a mirage band to? It's standard.

I just made a quick pick in the safe

GroteFoto-WN4X6CSH.jpg
</div></div>

And here's a noob question, what's a mirage band?

It's designed to prevent heat rising from your barrel after sustained fire to interfere with your sight through the scope.

Mirage is what you see through your scope on a hot day, the swirly figures
confused.gif
that depending on the wind go straight up or with an angle or flat on a windy day.

Here is a pic of the mirageband on my rifle

GroteFoto-PNWA83TY.jpg

I have same on my TikkaT3 but black and also fitted on sand colour to G22 making small modification to permit fitting to front sight. Mirage from hot barrel is made much less.

BlueVFrank. I think we have same rifle but different colour. What Optik is that on your?
Elixf

I'm running a March 3x24x42 Tactical (FFP) scope.

Great piece of equipment that keeps surprising me.